Romania - Caile Ferate Romane

These are prototypes which either exist as TT scale models or can be modeled from existing models.

Re: Romania - Caile Ferate Romane

Postby CFRiad » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:12 am

LVG1 wrote:
CFRiad wrote:That being said, the 16-17/26-17 cars were not UIC compliant and were meant for domestic service only. I don't think UIC had a letter designation for double-decker cars back in the 70's.

Wrong!
These trains were UIC-compliant. And they were included by UIC's standards.

Oops, I meant RIC-compliant.

LVG1 wrote:But as far as I know, CFR generally omited the letter codes on their passenger cars in the 1970's and 1980's, didn't they?

Yes, they did and still omit them on passenger cars. Even nowadays, CFR Călători (the government owned passenger rail operator) puts letter codes mostly on RIC cars for international traffic and less so on the domestic ones. Other private passenger rail operators have their own rules. The letter codes always appeared on freight cars.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:56 pm

This post is about CFR passenger cars and is the second part of the series of posts intended to give a bit of structure and context about CFR in periods IV and V (1970 - 2000). You can find the first part, dealing with locomotives, in an older post in this thread.

When dealing with passenger cars, TT modellers are in a bit more luck than with locomotives. Some passenger cars were imports from other communist countries, in particular from GDR. There are a few Tillig and Kuehn models of cars that operated also on the CFR network. Other cars can be, I hope, adapted from existing models.

Type Y passenger cars designed for international traffic (RIC-compliant)

Series 19-47/20-47/92-47 These types of cars were designed and made in Romania in the early 70’s. They share the same technical platform and body. They are, obviously, 24.5 m long, have a ribbed roof, and the roofline slopes at the car ends. The body narrows visibly at the car ends, in the access door area. All car types have Minden-Deutz bogies with axle-driven generators to recharge the batteries. They have modulated air heating using steam and multi-voltage electric heat sources. Originally they came in a dark green/grey livery, later repainted in light blue. They were used on international and long-haul domestic routes. Some of the 19-47 and 20-47 series still operate today in their original form and a significant number of units were rebuilt after year 2000.
    No true-to-life TT models exist, as far as I know. Please advise if any model can be kitbashed for a satisfactory stand-in.
    cfr-coach19-47.jpg
    Series 19-47 first class car

cfr-coach20-47.jpg
    Series 20-47 second class car

cfr-coach92-47.jpg
    Series 92-47 baggage car, in pretty rough shape

Series 60-41 This type of sleeping car was designed and made in Romania in the early 70’s. The body looked similar to the German-built 19-50 series. They had Minden-Deutz bogies with axle-driven generators to recharge the batteries. They were equipped with a hot water heating system that used an on-board coal fired boiler as the heat source, independent from the heating of the rest of the train. The square chimney of the boiler was conspicuous on the roof. Originally they came in a dark green/grey livery, later repainted in light blue. They were used on international and long-haul domestic overnight routes. These cars were all scrapped after year 2000 and replaced with newly built models.
    No true-to-life TT models exist, as far as I know. Please advise if any model can be kitbashed for a satisfactory stand-in.
    cfr-coach60-41.jpg
    Series 60-41 sleeping car bound for the scrap yard

My next post will cover more Type Y RIC-compliant passenger cars
Last edited by CFRiad on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:12 pm

Part 3 - More Type Y RIC-compliant passenger cars from CFR periods 4-5

Series 19-50/20-50/39-50/59-50 These types of cars were built in the GDR by VEB Waggonbau Görlitz in the early 80s and are identical to Type Y/B70 cars of DR. They have Goerlitz VI bogies with axle-driven generators. Heating works with modulated air, using steam and multi-voltage electric heat sources. They came in light-blue/grey livery. The intake grille of the air handling unit is conspicuous mid-car on the corridor side. They were used on international and long-haul domestic routes, where they gradually replaced the 19-47/20-47 series. Some units from these series still operate today in their original form and a number of units were rebuilt after year 2000
    Tillig made a CFR series 19-50 car part of a limited edition “Balt-Orient Express” set (catalogue number 01663). The 20-50, 39-50 and 59-50 series could be created by repainting models of other DR, MAV and CSD cars. Please help in identifying the nearest matches.
    cfr-coach19-50.jpg
    Series 19-50 first class car

cfr-coach19-50-tillig.jpg
    Tillig model - article number 01663

cfr-coach20-50.jpg
    Series 20-50 second class car (Kühn article #41736 is a good starting point for modifications)

cfr-coach39-50.jpg
    Series 39-50 first/second class car (Kühn article #41672 is a good starting point for modifications)

cfr-coach59-50.jpg
    Series 59-50 second class couchette car in 2005 livery (Kühn article #41754 needs minimal modifications)

My next post will cover short-haul and suburban passenger cars
Last edited by CFRiad on Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:36 pm

Part four of the CFR series about periods IV and V (1970 - 2000): short-haul and suburban/commuter cars for domestic service only (not RIC compliant)

Series 11-47/21-47 These suburban cars were built in the 70’s. All first class and most (~850) second class units were built in Romania. About 180 second class units were imported from Poland. They are 24.5 metres long, otherwise they look a bit like the German Silberlings. The cars have radiant heating using steam and single voltage (1500 V AC) electric heat sources. The Romanian-made cars have a ribbed roof and exposed access stairs. The units made in Poland have smooth roofs and the car body projects downwards to encase the access stairs. Some units from these series still operate today in their original form and a number of units were rebuilt after year 2000
    cfr-coach11-47.jpg
    Series 11-47 first class car

cfr-coach21-47a.jpg
    Series 21-47 second class car, made in Romania

cfr-coach21-47b.jpg
    Series 21-47 second class car, made in Poland

Series 16-17/26-17 These commuter double-decker four-car trainsets were imported from GDR in the 70’s and later built in Romania. You can find more information about these in @christtking and my posts from earlier in this thread. Some units from these series still operate today in their original form and a number of units were rebuilt after year 2000.
    Tillig catalogue number 01357 is an excellent replica. Arnold catalogue number 21-HN9500 (or similar) is a good starting point for modifications (@j p, thanks for the suggestion)
    cfr-coach26-17.jpg
    Series 26-17 double-decker trainset

cfr-coach26-17arnold.jpg
    Arnold model of the DR version

More suburban and commuter passenger cars to follow
Last edited by CFRiad on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:50 pm

Part five, and the last about CFR passenger cars from period 4-5 (1970-2000)

Series 26-26 These double-decker cars were imported from GDR in the 80’s. You can find more information about these in @christtking and my posts from earlier in this thread. All units from this series were rebuilt after year 2000 and are in operation today.
    Kuehn catalogue number 41260 is an excellent replica.
    cfr-coach26-26.jpg
    Series 26-26 double-decker car

cfr-coach26-26kuehn.jpg
    Kuehn model of a 26-26 series car in CSD livery

More posts about CFR freight cars and infrastructure from period 4-5 to follow.
Last edited by CFRiad on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CFRiad

Postby j p » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:34 pm

Excellent!
I have only one comment about the double deckers: I do not agree that "Tillig catalogue number 01357 is an excellent replica." It is an old Zeuke model from 1960s, not good even as DR version. (it was OK then, but not now)
You'd have to make all those changes as for DR, PKP, or CSD + additional changes for CFR. I don't think it would be worth the time because much better model is available from Arnold.

Therefore, I'd suggest to change it to: "Arnold catalogue number 21-HN9500 (or similar) would an excellent model for modification to CFR version"
http://www.mbs-sebnitz.de/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x500/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/1/21-hn9500_1.jpg
j p

Postby CFRiad » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:03 pm

Part 6 about CFR in periods 4-5 (years from 1970 to 2000)

I know I said that part five was going to be the last about about passenger cars from that period. Here is a little post scriptum about passenger cars from other countries on the CFR network of the period.

International trains were usually composed of cars provided by all railway administrations that operated the trains. On the CFR network you could spot regularly ÖBB, BDZ, CSD, DR, MAV, PKP, TCDD and JZ cars. Rarely a few CIWL, SNCF or DB cars would show up. PKP also ran seasonal all-couchette trains that transited the CFR network on route to the Bulgarian Black Sea coast.

All trains to and from the Soviet Union were composed exclusively of SZD-owned Ammendorf cars transposed to standard gauge bogies and with the SA-3 couplers exchanged to chain couplers. In the 90's these trains were composed of the same types of cars, owned by RZD, UZ and CFM.

More posts about CFR freight cars and infrastructure from period 4-5 will really follow.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:36 pm

Part 7 of the CFR periods 4-5 (1970 - 2000)

This part covers freight cars. Here is where it gets interesting for TT modelers, as there are quite a few models out there that can be modified into CFR cars. I browsed quickly the current Tillig product line-up and picked the closest matches and, in one case, gasp, an actual model. Please help me with filling in the gaps and with recommending better alternatives.

I included the most common cars that you could see on the network at the time, the cars that create the look and feel of the period. Please note that the photos are recent, so the cars either have been repainted to match the colour schemes and logos of the current freight operators, or they are in disrepair, on their way to the scrapyard.

Esx - two-axle open car with metal body and wood floor. The paint on the real car in this photo is very faded, the model matches the actual colour better. Very good TT match is Tillig 14266.
210 209

Eacs - four-axle open car with metal body and metal flat floor. The floor has flaps on both sides, the entire length of the car. The flaps open downwards to help unloading bulk loads. Notice the curved walls. They can take a tarp cover if the cargo needs protection from the elements. Eacs was the most common car on the CFR network of the period, with thousands of units ferrying all sorts of cargo. A true to life model does not exist. Two models are close. Tillig 15241 is an Eaos car with fixed (probably wood) floor and the walls are not curved but has the correct side panel arrangement. PMT 65351 has the walls curving correctly, but the doors are in the wrong location. Do you know a better match?
208 234 235

Fals - four-axle open hopper car with gravity unloading. Shuttle trains composed exclusively of these cars move high-volume bulk cargo such as coal or ore. CFR operated a a coal transshipment terminal at the break of gauge with Ukraine, then Soviet Union. The coal arriving in broad gauge hopper cars was unloaded into normal gauge CFR Fals cars. The model here is way off, please help finding a better match.
213 212

Faccpps - four-axle open hopper car with controlled gravity unloading. Discharge ports are located on both the sides of the car and in the middle, between the rails. Discharge gates are operated with compressed air and the cars have a high-pressure compressed air header and connection hoses separate from those for the air brakes. These cars can unload while moving. They are used mainly to transport and distribute ballast for railway track construction and maintenance. Could not find a suitable TT model.

Ggs - two-axle boxcar with wood walls/floor and steel roof. These cars come in two variants: with and without brakeman's cabin. Good TT match is Schirmer 20321.
218 236

Gbs - two-axle high-volume boxcar with steel body and wood floors. Very good TT match is Tillig 17158.
216 215

Gags - four-axle boxcar with steel body and wood floors. Lok-Schlosserei makes a very good, albeit expensive TT model.
214 253

Ibbhs - two-axle high-volume thermally insulated car without refrigeration unit. Very good TT match is Tillig 14691 .
220 219

Ks - two-axle flat car with wood floor, low walls and folding stakes. Very good TT match is Tillig 14758.
222 221

Rgs - four-axle flat car with wood floor, folding stakes and container pegs. Fits three 20-foot containers. Very good TT match is Tillig 15582.
224 223

Tals - four-axle covered hopper car with gravity unloading. The movable roof and the discharge gates are operated pneumatically. Shuttle trains composed exclusively of these cars used to move mainly uranium ore. Could not find a decent TT stand-in.

Ucs - two-axle cement silo car with pneumatic cyclone unloading. Good TT match is Piko 47750.
233 237

Uagps - four-axle grain hopper car with gravity unloading. The cars allow transportation of any product in granular/pellet form. To avoid cross-contamination, the cars reserved for grains are marked "CEREALE" in large lettering on the sides. I am not sure about this TT model. The Tillig catalogue shows a drawing rather than a photograph of the model. The car is classified as Uacs and it seems to have some pipes underneath, making me think this is a four-axle cement silo. Please help me clarify this. How did grain hopper cars look on the DR/DB network of the period?
227 226

Zaes - four-axle tanker car. This was the most common tanker on the network. Could not find a decent TT match.

Zas - four-axle tanker car with, if I remember correctly, double insulated walls. And now, Ladies and Gentlemen, drum roll please: an actual TT model made by Tillig (art. #15468). Cue in the fireworks and the uplifting orchestral music.
232 231

More post to follow.
Last edited by CFRiad on Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:12 pm

j p wrote:Excellent!

@j p, thanks for the encouragement.
CFRiad

Postby Rich B » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:22 pm

I'd say the forthcoming Piko cement wagon looks a closer match for the Ucs you illustrate.

http://www.piko-shop.de/index.php?vw_ty ... w_id=19056

PMT produce an open wagon with similar body profile to the Eacs, I'd say it's a bit closer than the Tillig model anyway.

http://www.pmt-modelle.de/2011/seiten/65351.html
Rich B

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes by Country