Roller Gauges

Roller Gauges

Postby Bernd » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:35 pm

I've been doing a bit of research on roller gauges. I personally haven't had much interaction with them and they are rather new to me. I've seen them on websites I've visited. My module project will need a few turnouts eventually. So I started surfing through all the scratch-built turnout sites that described how to go about building a turnout. I came across several that used roller gauges for making sure the track is gauged properly. So off I went and researched roller gauges. Seems the British are ahead on these devices.

Here's a couple I found of interest.

http://www.dccconcepts.com/gauges-tools-amp-fasteners/dccconcepts-gauges/2-roller-gauges-with-handle-for-16-5gauge

http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=385&product_id=4188

Which one do think would be better. Think from a manufacturing stand point and not shiny object attraction (I think it was Alex that's attracted to shiny objects IIRC :lol: )

Alex, wasn't sure where to actually post this since it doesn't look like it would fit into any other category on the forum.

Bernd
Bernd

Re: Roller Gauges

Postby ctxmf74 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:25 pm

"Which one do think would be better"

I prefer a flat topped gauge so I can set a heavier weight on it if needed. In practice sliding a gauge along the rail is no more difficult that rolling it along the rails. I guess the roller gauges might be easier to make in a lathe than milling a flat gauge? I'm using some old Kemtron 3 point gauges now but for some reason they are a bit tighter than my Coastal stainless steel standards gauge, not enough to wreck a train but enough to feel it when testing the gauge.I use a set of Gold Coast trucks to set the guard rails since they are a bit narrower than my HP trucks.....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby oldtrainguy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:52 pm

These aren't roller gauges but they do look interesting. I was thinking of getting some but the shipping charge was going to more than the gauges.

https://www.fohrmann.com/gleisklammer-gleisbauklammer-krause-klammer.html
Don
oldtrainguy

Postby Bernd » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:54 pm

Don,

If my German is correct these are not gauges. The literal translation of "Gleisklammern" is "track close pin". Microsoft translated it as "track clips". How about one of our German members giving me a hint as to what they are and what they do.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ctxmf74 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:00 pm

Here's what an automated translation program came up with....DaveB
"Track brackets keep flexible track at laying in the desired shape, enable accurate cutting and ensure easy installation. Each available as a 2 or 4-Set-Set. A guide and a small Allen wrench are included."
ctxmf74

Postby Bernd » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:41 pm

Hey Dave, great. The mystery has been solved. :clap:

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:02 pm

After seeing the rollers in the second link I thought I'd give it a try and see what I could come up with.

Here's the parts to the roller.

The roller assembled.

Testing it on a TT turnout.

A bit on the tight side. So I used a Gold Coast truck to see how it runs through the frog.

It's tight but they roll through OK.

The roller gage was built to the NMRA specs for TT. I did miss the track gauge by .001" for minimum.

I also learned why they used a threaded rod and nuts on the ends. The part is probably much easier to make and hold dimensions than the way I did it. I thought I could out smart them but got caught with my pants down. :lol:

More R&D is needed. Next I'll try the way they made them.

Forgot to add this link. While searching for roller gauges I came across this prototype site selling prototype tools for track. Who'd a thunk it?

http://www.westernsafety.com/products/aldon2012/aldon2012pg9.html

Bernd
Last edited by Bernd on Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernd

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:31 pm

Not at all what I had in mind.
Tom Dempsey

Postby ctxmf74 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:26 am

" It's tight but they roll through OK."

That's because Gold Coast wheels have bigger flanges and narrower back to back dimension. They are about .400 so run tight in the .403 span. The narrower flanged HP wheels are about .410 back to back so have no problem fitting thru. . I've been gauging my guard rails with a Gold Coast truck so I can run them along with my HP trucks.I found I could just leave the guard rails off and stuff would run thru OK but I've decide do add guard rails for looks and insurance against picking a frog point......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby TiTan downunder » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:56 am

My roller gauges are the same as those in your first link for DCC concepts except, mine are that old they hadn't invented handles back then.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Next

Return to General Discussion