rokal f units

rokal f units

Postby jmass » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:22 pm

somebody had mentioned on a previous topic that the rokal f units were slightly larger than true 1/120. i was thinking about picking up a couple on ebay and trying the lok and roll chasis on them.
jmass

Re: rokal f units

Postby areibel » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:08 pm

For what the Rokal F units go for, you'd be further ahead to just use a Lionel F unit shell. I think the last Rokal F units I saw go on Ebay went for $125-$150 each, they're pretty scarce and collectable.
areibel

Postby Murad » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:18 pm

WTB any of the HP Products locomotive parts
Murad

Postby tomvanhoy » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:45 pm

Rokal F units use a motorized truck for power. The motor is mounted on top of the truck. They do not have an integral frame. So they may not work with any other manufacturers. I don't know much about the L'n'R frame though.
Good Luck,
Tom
tomvanhoy

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:17 pm

I think the Tillig F unit shell is a copy of the Rokal. And maybe the truck frames as well.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:08 am

is the tillig F9 a direct copy? i believe somewhere someone gave dimensions of the rokal shell. i recall it was way too wide, high and long. more like 1:100, so it might require a lot of surgery to turn it into something of interest these days. it would probably be better to start from scratch, honestly. the most difficult bit is the fans and N scale bachmann F9 shells have a big fan that is cheap and nicely detailed and would be of use as a TT scale 36" one.

the tillig F is also 38mm high -about 2' too high for an F9 ... although it's said to be around 26mm wide. i wonder if they just cut the rokal down the centre and removed a bit of width?

if tillig just copied something like that, given the price and the exchange rate, it's no surprise their F unit did not pay off.

i did have an OK F7 or F9 shell cast ine white fast casting urethane (easycast?) that i don't know the provenance of. maybe coastal engineering ? it was narrower, about 26mm, 33mm high, and had side riveted bracing and louvres that looked to have been done by hand. the fans and roof detail and rear end detail though seemed to be proprietary as they were rather fine. the grilles were pretty basic as per the tillig or rokal - just three horzontal lines and no vertical grille detail. however, not a bad job overall -probably the best looking TT scale F i've seen, dimensions OK and basic shapes correct, particularly around the nose, where it matters the most.

i only have the nose now and i removed all detail from it, for an aussie scratchbuilding project ... else i'd post a pic so someone could give me pointers on who made it.
scaro

Postby Carsten » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:24 pm

The dimensions and the look of the "Tillig" loco are close to an FP7. A friend of the german Iris Creek Valley Railroad made the Rokal F7 narrow, added a front pilot and removed the screw hole at the roof. Tillig used these shell and produced a limited series on behalf of the SIG.
Carsten

Postby scaro » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:52 pm

thanks carsten

so the tillig F9 was a 'special project' for the group ?

i see why they called it an 'FP7' now -that would help them to explain the extra length.

regards, ben
scaro

Postby scaro » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:21 pm

scaro wrote:the tillig F is also 38mm high -about 2' too high for an F9 ... although it's said to be around 26mm wide. i wonder if they just cut the rokal down the centre and removed a bit of width?

i should correct this -a real FP or F7 is 14' high, so about 35.75mm.

the SIG/Tillig F is therefore not far off.

ben
scaro

Return to General Discussion