ROKAL BR24 2-6-0

ROKAL BR24 2-6-0

Postby Arseny » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:53 am

Came from Ebay...

Let us open the box...
Although it was made in 1967 it is still like new. There is even a bottle of oil inside! NOT OPENED!

Let us get it outside the box...
Very nice locomotive! The tender is connected simply by hook. No wires.

It runs smoothly and quietly enough. The lights work.

It is a little bit bigger than necessary (10-15%), if you put it side-by-side with a Gutzold's one.
But it is proportional and looks well.

The flanges of wheels are very thick:

So it can not go through even Zeuke turnouts (switches)! And of course Tillig's too:

The flanges are approx. 1.7 mm wide!

The coupler. It is incompatible with BTTB or Tillig.
But you can remove the part, put the BTTB coupler inside it and connect with a screw.

From the bottom:

the DB logo on the cabin:

Last edited by Arseny on Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arseny

Re: ROKAL BR24 2-6-0

Postby scaro » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:59 am

yikes. those are wide flanges ... looks like it would need a lot of work on the wheels to negotiate any modern track or points. interesting what you say about the scale. i knew scale accuracy wasn't Rokal's strong point but 10-15% off is a lot. sounds like they were working closer to 3mm scale.
scaro

Postby The Fish » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:47 am

G'day,
Typical Rokal. It would appear nearly all their locos were 100/1. I have turned most of wheels to a thinner flange. They are quite large when side by side with BTTB and Tillig. rollingstock wheels can be obtained from http://www.das-service.de/Modmueller/
The Fish

Postby Arseny » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:50 am

yikes. those are wide flanges ... looks like it would need a lot of work on the wheels to negotiate any modern track or points. interesting what you say about the scale. i knew scale accuracy wasn't Rokal's strong point but 10-15% off is a lot. sounds like they were working closer to 3mm scale.

It run good on the modern rails, but ...until the first turnout on the way. :)
The simple decision: you can build a special line for ROKAL trains, without any turnouts/switches (and crosses, too).

Or I need a top-skilled turner to work on wheels...

As for scale - I am not a great criticaster or carper :)
Of course, the exact 1:120 model would be better, but this locomotive is nice too.
I use 1:100 automobiles, it seems to me that they are suitable.

The reason is the engine, I think. It is too big...
Arseny

Postby Arseny » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:51 am

The Fish wrote:G'day,
Typical Rokal. It would appear nearly all their locos were 100/1. I have turned most of wheels to a thinner flange. They are quite large when side by side with BTTB and Tillig. rollingstock wheels can be obtained from http://www.das-service.de/Modmueller/

Yes, it is a good thing for wagons. But what should I do with the LOCOMOTIVE?.. :problem:
Arseny

Postby scaro » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:13 pm

The Fish wrote:G'day,

gday

did your NSW TT group use the rokal chassis for aussie locos?

cheers, ben
scaro

Postby The Fish » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:07 pm

G'day Ben,
No. Triang A1A deisel was used for a NSW 44 class. I am playing around with Triang Castle to make a 35 class steam.
regards
Ted
The Fish

Return to Rokal TT Scale Models