Roco Couplers and Tillig's

Roco Couplers and Tillig's

Postby Sventton » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:51 am

A search doesn't show anything to my question of ...do Roco's couplers mate with Tillig's? If not, some posts imply that the Roco type can simply be replaced by a Tillig replacement for compatibility sake, true? I ask as I have a couple of Roco DSB freight wagons in route. Thanks. John
Sventton

Re: Roco Couplers and Tillig's

Postby krokodil » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:18 pm

Hi John
You are correct, the Roco and the Tillig TT couplers are different, does not mate with each another. The replacement is simple, just pull them out and push in the different one.
On cars Roco used sometimes the old Tillig couplers, there is nothing to change. On the locomotives they use the Fleischman type couplers which are different and does not mate with Tillig couplers.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby Sventton » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:30 pm

Thanks Krokodil, I will see which once they arrive, I have spare Tilligs just in case. Be prepared for a similar question....I haven't even looked at the couplers on a pair of locos that I bought, an MTB and a Piko. Hopefully those are latest Tillig compatible. 8-)
Sventton

Postby krokodil » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:53 pm

This a standard (old BTTB) coupler used on TT Start, Piko, Kühn and on older Roco etc vehicles
IMG_2410.JPG
Standard coupler
IMG_2410.JPG (9.47 KiB) Viewed 622 times

This one is the Roco short coupler (Fleischmann original) used on recent Roco locomotives ( not compatible with others)
IMG_2412.JPG
Roco (FLM) short coupler

This is a Tillig short coupler installed on all Tillig vehicles (except the starter sets). It is also not compatible with other couplers
IMG_2411.JPG
Short coupler

For all couplers is important the another end ( header). In the last 5 years all TT vehicles come out with so called standard NEM coupler fixing. There is a replacement very easy. This a header what do you see on the Roco coupler.. In other cases you have to find the compatible coupler. They are mostly available from Tillig. ( see the standard and the Tillig short coupler, they have non standard header towards the vehicle. Suitable for older vehicles from BTTB.

Here is the new standardized coupler pocket on new vehicles:
http://miba.de/morop/nem358_d.pdf
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby Sventton » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:46 pm

Yes, I have replaced many of the older BTTB type with the newer Tillig short coupler. Now if I could do the same with the Zeuke ones.
Sventton

Postby krokodil » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:14 pm

I am not very happy with the Tillig short couplers, so I left them only in passenger coaches (are coupled mostly always together). The freight cars and the locomotives have the older BTTB couplers, they are much more reliable on domestic layouts with many curves and short turnouts.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby WillYart » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:42 am

I don't like any of those couplers. I have just put Microscale 1025 N scale couplers on several Tillig starter set cars for my son. They look great, are easy to work with.

I hope the new standard pocket works well with Microscale couplers.
WillYart

Postby krokodil » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:58 am

WillYart wrote:I don't like any of those couplers. I have just put Microscale 1025 N scale couplers on several Tillig starter set cars for my son. They look great, are easy to work with.

I hope the new standard pocket works well with Microscale couplers.

I have also few cars with microscale couplers. Unfortunately the philosophy behind the design of both type couplers is completely different. The European couplers are designed to swing out in curves (trying to follow the center line of the tracks - KKK mechanizm. The microscale couplers expect a rigid fixing (controlled by internal springs) on the cars and can be moved only with external forces around a vertical axle to couple, uncouple the couplers. The European couplers are moving around a horizontal axle during coupling and uncoupling.
This is a conflict, that is the reason I stopped to rebuild my cars (the old BTTB and Zeuke cars were easy to rebuild as they do not have the KKK mechanizm. All new cars have this mechanizm, what is a challenge for microscale or Kadee H0n couplers.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby Sventton » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:08 am

Something tells me that the Tillig coupler is not going to be a fit for that Roco coupler pocket, or am I wrong? I should say that I have replaced many Zeuke also, just not the type that are connected by a wire beneath the car's underframe. I don't find any of the Euro couplers as "ideal" either, but I want to standardize as much as I can. The newer Tilligs at least look somewhat like a coupler which you could not say with a straight face for the Zeuke or BTTB versions. :lol:
Attachments
TT.jpg
Sventton

Postby Sventton » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:12 am

By the way, what is the KKK mechanism? :?
Sventton

Next

Return to General Discussion