Roco coupler mounts

Roco coupler mounts

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:10 am

There are a few new Roco car models that I'm interested in but I'm hesitant to buy because Roco evidently doesn't know what horizontal means. I sold all my Roco cars a few years ago because of constant uncoupling. How do you guys deal with this? You can see what I mean clearly on both sides of this pic:

What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Roco coupler mounts

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:01 am

ConducTTor wrote:There are a few new Roco car models that I'm interested in but I'm hesitant to buy because Roco evidently doesn't know what horizontal means. I sold all my Roco cars a few years ago because of constant uncoupling. How do you guys deal with this? You can see what I mean clearly on both sides of this pic:

That is not just a problem for their TT scale stuff. I bought a Roco SNCF starter set in Brest, France back in 2007, and the couplers had the same problem as well. I ended up having to wire the cars together with the engine to keep them coupled.

Perhaps the designer is a person who drinks on the job...
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby CSD » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:01 am

ConducTTor wrote:... How do you guys deal with this? You can see what I mean clearly on both sides of this pic...

Remember that they don't come with Tillig style couplers anymore. Kuehn couplers are perfect for taking care of that sag. I also seem to remember this style of car had interference from the buffers and had to be modified. It has not been fixed on the new versions.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby Christtking » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:06 am

These type of couplers suck! KUEHN's version of this type of coupler is better because it has that extra piece extended on the bottom that keeps the couplers from getting disconnected. They (the companies) should have just left it alone with BTTB style couplers. Some of the models from KUEHN are still adapted with older style BTTB coupler, others have the new style coupler (so it's a mixture of both types: what a mess!) and PIKO still manufactures their TT scale models that are adapted with the BTTB style couplers. Now the new vehicles from ROCO are adapted with FLEISCHMANN couplers (they have been around for a while), that's another joke! Every company try to make some money, somehow! The couplers are good, but they are not compatible with other couplers from other manufacturers, they are good only when used with the same type of couplers.
What I see in the photo posted by conducTTor, the coupler (s) might not be the problem. I think it is in the swinging arm in the mechanism, it might be caused by the spring that controls (guides) the arm not being properly aligned, nor strong enough to bring or hold the swinging arm into a straight "horizontal" position. Another thing might be the weight that is inside the wagon it is not secured properly by the (round) retaining clips that slide over the plastic rods (they should be placed or inserted all the way down to touch the weight) in order to keep the weight piece straight (aligned) that helps the guiding arm to stay in place and move smoothly. The opening (gap) it's also huge where the coupler guide needs to travel (move). I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to explain.
Christtking

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:56 am

Im talking about the coupler mount not the coupler itself. Trying to find out if anyone has found a solution to the hanging. The buffer issue is easy to remedy - pull out the buffer and take mm of the buffer mount. Then slide the buffer back in (a mm deeper).

I hope the new kink tanks dont have the same crappy mount....

Sent using Tapatalk
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Christtking » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:37 am

To conducTTor: Have you tried pushing down the weight by pushing the retaining clips all the way down in order to straighten the arm that comes out of the guiding mechanism. I bet you that takes care of the sagging.
Christtking

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:58 am

I dont have them anymore to try that out. I just hope the new tankers are better.

Sent using Tapatalk
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Christtking » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:11 pm

Just got mine today and guess what? It has the same problem just like the one clearly seen in your photo posted above. What a piece of (you know what)!
Christtking

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:13 pm

god damn it
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Juup » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:47 pm

Somewhat late reply. Had the same problem with a Roco container car. Visibly 'drooping' coupler mounts on both ends. Turns out that the chassis/undercarriage wasn't properly assembled. I pulled on the coupler mount and then pressed the different parts of the undercarriage together until 'click'. Did this on both ends. Now have perfectly straight coupler mounts. Perhaps the assembly process Roco uses is wrongly calibrated (or if manual, that the assembly is done too quickly)?
Juup
Juup

Next

Return to General Discussion