Roco CD 754.028 item #36252

Roco CD 754.028 item #36252

Postby JBr » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:33 pm

Class 754 (former T478.4) diesel-electric locomotive of the Czech Railways (Ceske Drahy). T478.4 is an improved version of the T478.3 (classes 750 and 753). For T478.3 model see (roco-csd-t478-3082-item-36263-t996.html).

754.028 is one of the locos in the trademark "blue-white-yellow flash" livery of the Pilsen locomotive depot (DKV Plzen). The original was transfered to DKV Olomouc last year, but the model bears the sign "DKV Plzen" (the TT version is based on the H0 version and at the time of its preparation this loco was still part of the fleet in Pilsen).

The model comes with Roco's new coupler, but this can easily be changed to Kuehn or both old and new Tillig coupling. The package also contains a small sack with some detail "jewellery" and ploughs without holes. It runs smoothly and is very quiet.

It's a pretty decent model. As mentioned in the CSD's thread about T478.3, there was some criticism when the T478.3 came out, but this version definitely looks better. Personally, there are only three things I don't like that much:

1) Cabin handles should be in one color. This is quite easy to fix with a thin brush and some white paint.
2) The roof headlight is missing it's silver lining.
3) The roof headlight always shines in the direction of travel. This one is the thing that I don't like the most. As the same applies for their T679.1 too, I guess it's misunderstanding from Roco's side and they are using the roof headlight as the top light of the safety light triangle (together with position lights). On the original, the roof headlight is used for high beam only and is turned on only outside a station and turned off everytime the loco approaches a station or passes by another train. Only position lights are turned on all the time. On the other hand, switchable headlight would hardly be possible to implement with 6 pin decoders or using the analogue control.

This is the first T478.4/754 model on the market, as MTB's one is to be released sometime later this year. If you don't want to (or can't :)) wait to find out which one is better, then this one is definitely worth buying.

roco01.jpg
roco02.jpg
roco03.jpg
roco04.jpg
roco05.jpg
XpressnetLib - .NET class library for DCC model railroad control
JBr

Re: Roco CD 754.028 item #36252

Postby JBr » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:37 pm

Few more pics, including "day" and "night" shots from my old unfinished layout.

roco06.jpg
roco07.jpg
roco08.jpg
roco_brejle_noc.jpg
JBr

Postby CSD » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:25 pm

Well this one is going to have to join the Brejlo-party at my house I think. In regards to the top light, with my Roco Sergeje I put in an ESU sound decoder which has 2 extra function outputs that I used for those lights. For the T478.3 I might get a separate 2 function decoder and assign it the same address to function the light as the Zimo decoder does not appear to have the extra outputs. A question: are all the variations in paint scheme on these (and other) Czech locomotives meant to represent different depos or was than unique to Plzen.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby JBr » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:34 am

Well, to answer that I have to start in the past :) Before the Velvet revolution in 1989, there were strict regulations about paint schemes etc. (with only few exceptions). One of the results of the "newly gained freedom" in 1990s was that every depot could decide how to paint their locos during the maintenance. Some decided to use the original green-gray paint scheme, some devised their own schemes, either completely new or based on some scheme that emerged in the past and had to be removed because of the unification. Generally only the Plzen depot applied the same livery on their locos. I guess their paint scheme is the second most spread one, after the green-gray one. Other depots usually had (or still have) every loco in a different paint scheme. Unfortunately this era of colorful paints ends now with the new corporate image of the CD.

Personally I don't think that the Plzen paint scheme is bad, but I've seen much more attractive locos (mostly from Brno :)).

Edit: This applies only to the most prominent diesel locos - brejlovec (751/753/754) and zamracena (749/751). Other classes like 742 (T466.2) remained usually in the same colors as before or were painted in the same scheme. Even today electric locos without the new corporate paint stay in the same colors as 20 years ago (with few locos in advertisement liveries being an exception from the rule).
JBr

Return to Roco TT Scale Models