Roco BR 241 DB Cargo from digital set 35007

Roco BR 241 DB Cargo from digital set 35007

Postby Rich B » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:34 pm

6 axle drive, DCC factory fitted. Running number 241 449-8

Good decoration, I find Roco's can be hit and miss. Runs like a dog. Very loud. I put the decoder in another Roco Ludmilla (36200) to check it was mechanical and not control issues, and the 36200 was quiet as a mouse. So this one's going back :( That aside, the differences between a 232 and a 241 that I know of are modelled, specifically different roof grilles and extra side grilles, plus no rheostat on the roof. As it happens I have a picture of the real 241 449, which confirms the main detail aspects. The livery is different now though. A websearch shows that the livery is correct for earlier times though.

The set is a bargain, €179 for the loco, three good wagons and a DCC system. I couldn't buy the loco, a decoder and three wagons for that! I hope the poor running is a one-off. As ever, it comes with Profi couplings rather than the "new" TT standard, which is a nuisance but not a show-stopper.
Rich B

Re: Roco BR 241 DB Cargo from digital set 35007

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:53 pm

Rich B wrote:Runs like a dog. Very loud.

There have been a lot of complaints over on the German board about Roco's new cheap Ludmila doing that. Perhaps Roco's gone to a new supplier and the tolerances are not good.
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Rich B » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:43 am

I'm waiting for a response from the shop before sending it back; is there any word on whether retailers are replacing affected lcoos?
Rich B

Postby Christtking » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:29 pm

My input on this! I've realized that the newer manufactured models are missing a noise absorber piece (clip?) that is installed onto the gear box (1x each end) that rubs against the inside of the frame (die-cast?/ machined? chassis). Please be free and verify against the older models.
Christtking

Postby Christtking » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:13 pm

I forgot to add! This is the new mould (for the shell), the correct one! The raised top roof cooling fans type SIEMENS and in addition the oblong (some call it rectangular) buffers (among other things). A lot of ROCO models should have them, e.g 36203 (DB Cargo version) was built wrong from the beginning then etc, etc
Last edited by Christtking on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christtking

Postby jmass » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:21 pm

I just purchased this set and the loco wobbles a bit. Not to noises but the wobbling is a bit troubling. Also not a big fan of rocos new style couplers.
jmass

Postby Christtking » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:55 pm

Not a huge fan of the Fleischmann style couplers either that they are used in the ROCO models lately. Not a huge fan of the newly introduced Tillig style couplers either. They tend to come undone when the trains are going uphill or when attacking curves. Kuehn improved Tillig new style coupler with the extension arm (flange?) on the bottom to prevent uncoupling are much better than Tillig's. I, myself prefer the older style couplers from BTTB. Fleischmann manufactured some models in the mid or late 80's (4 axle postal cars=BTTB article number 3810 and I think some Y type 4 axle passenger cars e.g BTTB article number 3610, or something like that) and they were adapted with that kind of couplers. I am not exactly sure if they manufactured those models or just the bogies were adapted so. I know for a fact that they can not be removed and replaced with other couplers. The coupler (holder) itself is moulded into the bogie assembly (below the steps, under the buffer beams).
Christtking

Postby Rich B » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:44 am

Well, I got a return authorised, and according to the shop (Lippe) it's quieter than the other examples they tested. As such, I had the choice of a refund or lumping it. I'll lump it, and maybe clean up the gear train then re-lubricate.

One little moment of happiness, upon googing "241 Rübeland", the first result was 241 449- looks like I don't need to do any re-lettering.
Rich B

Postby Christtking » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:50 am

@Rich B. I am glad that you had your model taking care of. You have to excuse me, but I have to ask you this: What does it mean "lump it?" I am originally from Roumania and I have lived here in the States or the past 26 years & I've never heard of this expression (?)
I'm getting my BR 132 (36214) hopefully this week and if it performs the same way I will have to follow your advice.
I have heard of this before, but never tried it. I will have to disassemble the bogies and clean the gear train with alcohol then with some soap and luke warm water, dry every piece, install everything back and lubricate everything with some toothpaste formulated for dentures (I have to purchase some since I don't wear any; I don't mean to offend any dentures wearing people) such as POLIDENT (?), re-assemble everything back together, run it forth and back for 30 minutes each direction. The toothpaste made for dentures has some abrassive particles in it and it helps eliminate the impurities and imperfection (during friction) found in the plastic moulded gears. Disassemble everything again and clean out the toothpaste. When everything is clean as a whistle, install all the gears back, re-lubricate, re-install and secure the bottom bogie gear covers back and hopefully will run better.
Christtking

Postby Rich B » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:20 am

Hi Chris - the best explanation is this: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/like ... mp-it.html

The method you describe with toothpaste is one I've used with the old Lima "pancake" motors, which were very coarse. It's a tedious job, but does improve things. I usually only take such measures after fairly extensive (eg 3 hours in each direction) running.
Rich B

Next

Return to Roco TT Scale Models