Roco 37622 NACCO Zaes bogie tank wagon

Roco 37622 NACCO Zaes bogie tank wagon

Postby Rich B » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:19 pm

It's a bit dusty, sorry :oops:

Quite an intricate model, lots of separate parts (factory fitted) and etched walkways. The upper handrails are a bit soft and look bent, though I think they're supposed to be like that. Proper NEM coupling pockets rather than the oddball things Roco fit to some models, the coupling droop issue some Roco wagons suffer from is only marginal on this wagon. I need to find the confidence to weather it!
Rich B

Re: Roco 37622 NACCO Zaes bogie tank wagon

Postby Christtking » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:13 am

@Rich B: I agree with you sir! Very nice model. Little expensive for something made in China. Some of these type of wagons (models) are made in Rumania also (still expensive!). The only thing I do not like about this model is (looking straight at the vehicle sitting on the tracks) the wheels are not in the right location. :problem: The axle guides are off set, making the model sitting too high. Maybe there is a reason for that. The way the bogie was designed to function like that so it won't intefere with chassis, bogie holder/ under frame, etc during movement when attacking (traveling on) the curbes (?)
I want to see some photos of your artificially altered (weathered) model :thumbup:
Last edited by Christtking on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christtking

Postby j p » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:19 pm

It has to be offset because of the pizza flanges.
"Something made in China" can be as expensive as "something made in Europe" or "something made in USA". The wages are lower in China, but much more money has to be spent on quality control and the scrap rate is higher.
j p

Postby Christtking » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:27 pm

@jp: I agree with you on that! I guess that's why they moved the production back to Europe. ROmanian COmpany (?) HAHAHAHA
Pizza flanges? I've never heard of that term, why is it called that? I am pretty sure ROCO can do better than that, other companies do it.
Christtking

Postby j p » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:56 pm

Pizza-cutter flanges have been discussed many times here on the board. They used to be even worse on Zeuke and BTTB models. In general, the "NEM flanges" are much higher than NMRA flanges. The main reason for it is NEM standard being defined also for safe and reliable operation of toy trains, not only models. Furthermore, the manufacturers use the higher limits from the NEM standard for the same reason. The majority of EU-TT customers are toy train customers, not modelers. The opposite is true for NA-TT.
When comparing "ancient" NA-TT wheels from H.P. Products made in 1947 to the newest wheels of European models made in 2014, H.P. Products' wheels are still better!
I would not blame the manufacturers for this. It is the market. If the customers want to run their trains through streetcar radii at a speed of TGV, ICE or Shinkansen, then they need pizza-cutter flanges.

Back to the model: the flanges add 0.6 mm, so the manufacturer has to make additional offset to ensure smooth operation of the trucks.
j p

Postby Christtking » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:11 pm

Thanks jp: I hope you understand that there are so many topics in this forum, I 've never run across it. I will find it some day, but thanks again for taking your time to explain it to me. You are right about the speed. I tend to run my trains on the test truck at medium speed. I never run them at very high speeds (only the passenger ones) and never at extra super low speeds either, like the ones found at "some" train shows. It kills me when those guys run a long axx train at the slowest speed. They are destroying their locos. Sorry off topic again! Anyway it should not bother me so much since majority of my models are sitting quiet in their boxes collecting dust in the storage locker waiting for me.
Christtking

Return to Roco TT Scale Models