Rocky Mountain Train Show

Rocky Mountain Train Show

Postby Christtking » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:56 am

Anyone interested in visiting this show? This Saturday and Sunday at Denver Merchandise Mart, 58th Ave and I -25 south Denver (Colorado). Sorry for the short notice! I will be the only TTer there! Too bad!
Christtking

Re: Rocky Mountain Train Show

Postby Christtking » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:15 pm

I can't wait to see the "gentleman" that tried to contradict me that there is no such scale between N an Half O (HO). He has a table set up to give classes to new candidates interested in model railroading, especially young kids. Good intention! Start educating them when you're very young. I did not like his comment when I asked him why he does not have TT scale listed on his fancy board. His answer was: (Most of you guys will say that I make this things up.) "TT is a dead scale!". I even asked him if he really knows who 1st invented it. Of course he did not know the answer. I told him that: " How can you deny a scale that was invented by an American and most collectors, shops, dealers, modelers in the U.S. never heard of it. Some might consider it dead (which is not true), but that does not change the fact that the is a scale between N and HO (there might be others that I am not aware of, but I don't go public and missinform people by saying that it does not exist or it is dead). I have a BTTB 2 axle steel wall gondola (and a black coal load-made by myself just for him) with a Tillig piece of straight track. I will slap him if he doesn't place them right away on his presentation board. I have a sign ready for him too (TT)!
Christtking

Postby j p » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:42 pm

The true "dead scale" between N and H0 is H00, 1/150 or 1/144. Manufactured by Carl Nordstrand's company "Micro Trains" around 1947, in Sweden.
j p

Postby Christtking » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:03 pm

Never heard of it! Interested to hear about it. I imagine it was little smaller than TT and a litte bigger than N. Kind of in between N and TT size?
Last edited by Christtking on Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Christtking

Postby j p » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:59 pm

Christtking wrote:Never heard of it! Interested to hear about it. I imagine it was little saller than TT and a litte bigger than N. Kind of in between N and TT size?

There was no N scale at that time.
H00 gauge was 10 mm.
They made 4-6-4 NYC Hudson (which was a brand new locomotive at that time), with a motor in the tender and drive in the locomotive. RTR and kit
Pullman Standard box car RTR and kit
Pullman HW passenger car with 6 wheel trucks RTR and kits
Brass rails and masonite ties. Track, turnouts. Also RTR track sections.
Then some small series of Swedish rolling stock, incl. one electric engine with working pantographs.

The company was sold to Kadee, Oregon. They had some plans for production of H00 scale in US. Then N scale was introduced. Finally, the only thing Kadee used out of H00 was the name: Micro Trains.
j p

Postby Arseny » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:17 pm

Christtking wrote:Anyone interested in visiting this show? This Saturday and Sunday at Denver Merchandise Mart, 58th Ave and I -25 south Denver (Colorado). Sorry for the short notice! I will be the only TTer there! Too bad!

If you see Rico from Rico's Rail Room there, give my best regards to him.
I'd purchased some N scale vehicles in his shop several years ago, and some of them are suitable for TT (such as 1942 Ford truck)
Arseny

Postby Christtking » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:18 pm

@jp: Very interesting! I never new that. I like to learn something new every day! Thank you!
@Arseny: Rico it is! I sure will!
I hope the show this year will be more calm, 2 years ago (both days), people were acting like they were Christmas shopping at WALMART on Black Friday. Most of them were there to be a long neck (browsing), not even buying anything. Such a wild behaviour! The thing is, the way I see it this is not a "ONLY TRAINS SHOW), there are all kind of toys, cars, trucks, cranes, dolls, wind up toys, LEGO, pins, memorabilia, stuff that is not even related to anything that is related to the railways (railroad), you guys got the idea. And there are some layouts, and some guys with European stuff for sale, mostly LIMA, ROCO, RIVARROSSI, FLEISCHMANN, MAERKLIN (HO scale only!). The good old stuff!
Anyone interested/ looking for something special/in specific? Let me know! I will be more than glad to pick it up for you, of course if it's still available, or if I find it! I will attend only Saturday.
Last edited by Christtking on Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christtking

Postby Christtking » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:30 pm

@Arseny: Question to you. I do not know everybody at these shows, I know just a few guys from the shops I normally attend here in Colorado. Is Rico by any chance the gentlman that has a lot af N scale freight cars (various North American railroads) and a lot of millitary vehicles (mostly WW II diecast German tanks)? Used to. Last year I tried to purchase some from him, but unfortunatelly he sold them a few minutes before I've showed up. Kind of pricey. Those tanks are suitable more for TT scale than N.
Last edited by Christtking on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christtking

Postby Arseny » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:50 am

I did not see any German military vehicles on his website ( http://shop.ricosrailroom.com/ & http://www.ricosrailroom.com/).
There were some American N-scale road vehicles and other stuff. Somebody told me that some N-scale vehicles made by Fine N Scale are oversized and can work for TT. Some of them nevertheless were too small, but some worked.
We had a nice talk with Mr.Rico by email.
Arseny

Postby Christtking » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:03 pm

@Arseny. Not the same guy I guess. I will find him on Saturday.
Tanks: WWII replicas of German tanks and vehicles, a few years ago (5,6,7?) I found at Walmart at least 15 different versions of war vehicles (mostly tanks and half track vehicle and 3-4 airplanes) manufactured in China and distributed by a company from California with the name NEW TOYS MILLENNIUM. There were 3 or 4 versions of American tanks (Sherman?) also and 1 or 2 war planes. I do not know how accurate are these toys detail wise. They come already assembled, silkscreened (numbers, logos), painted (or pad printed?) with multiple layers of different camouflage paints. For me they are good enough. They are listed as 1:144 scale, I think they are suitable for both scales N and TT, the tanks might be a little bit oversized for N scale platform wagons. Price was I do not remember exactly ?$3.99 for tanks/each, 5.99 for planes/each. The toys were pulled off the shelves. Can not find them anymore. This company was supplying the store with replicas of military vehicle from that era (American & German) but bigger scale also, I think it was 1:64, or 1:48, I can not remember for sure. Price for each tank for the bigger scale, are you ready? Only $39.99 each. The selection was not extensive as the little ones was 2or 3 for each country. Both scales (big & small) each individual item comes with a black plastic stand with the respective model own description and the company's name silkscreened towards the front, a lock/unlock turn plastic key that goes thru the bottom of the stand that locks the model on top of it and a top see thru clear plastic protective removable cover. The gentleman that sells those tanks at the show (the one I thought it was Rico) his die cast kits are similar, painted one color only, no camouflage involved, with dry transfer logos and number, very detailed and boxed and the price for each is 30 US$. Not bad I guess for a die cast piece.
Christtking

Next

Return to General Discussion