Rocky Mountain Train Show

Re: Rocky Mountain Train Show

Postby Christtking » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:02 pm

Saturday show! Big, very big dissapointment. Most of the dealers, shop owners and sellers were not present at this year's show. The show in my opinion is a junk yard sale. Lack of "CLASS". My last train show to attend here in my adopted hometown. I really need to attend at least a show in Germany or somewhere else in the U.S..
Some European second hand (no original boxes) found (TRIX) (HO), sticker says US$ 7 (each) the guy wants $20 (each). What? Highway robbery! I told him that I will pay him that price if he coughs some original boxes. Clown! Found other guys with second hand (old PIKO), Fleischmann, ROCO, MAERKLIN (HO) some with the original boxes, fairly priced.
I found a nice lady with some TT scale American (prototypes) die cast pieces made by LIONEL (some were brand spanking new, unopened). I think she had all the versions (diesel and steam). The sticker price on each said (showed) US $ 20 (from 25). She told me that she will give me a good deal. $ 5 each. I scratched my head for a while. If I purchase those items what will I do with them? since they are dummies. I will need to modify them, that will cost me more money. I was thinking to investigate which Tillig models to purchase or/and modify in order to make those dummies work. Nah! Not worth the trouble! Maybe if I was into North American prototyping. No offense to any TTer from North America or anyone that collects North American TT scale. If the models are not RTR, not in my book. I love all the TT scale trains but if they are not fuctional (locomotives) I refuse to collect them.
@Arseny: No Mr. Rico either! Sorry!
Christtking

Postby areibel » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:16 pm

Too bad! $5 is a very good price on the blue tin Lionels, especially if you don't have to pay shipping on the "collectable tin" and the oversized packaging! And if they had the silver tin Century Club ones, those are a little more rare (and expensive!).
There are a couple options on powering the diesels, from Rob M ( http://www.cabinetplanner.com/Midwest_TT.php ) or Lok N Roll or even the older Possum Valley power chassis kits that show up on Ebay from time to time.
The steamers are harder, I think MacG had a project to power the NYC Hudson using a Tillig chassis, and I've got one of the Pennsy Turbines that will fit an HP chassis with a little modification- a couple more odd models for an odd scale!
areibel

Postby dileTTante » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:02 pm

Christtking wrote:Lack of "CLASS". My last train show to attend here in my adopted hometown.

An alternative is to add class to the next show by displaying some TT scale.
"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." - Charles Rosner
dileTTante

Postby Christtking » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:01 am

@areibel. I agree with you. They are little heavy. I am not pretty sure, but I think there were some they had some Century Club logo also. I know a machinist (retired) that he could machine some chassis for me for the diesels. The only problem I have is that I am still waiting after a year and a half to get some other spare parts that they were placed on back order from TILLIG. The shop I deal with told me that my list was too long and Tillig became suspicious. There will be a lot of searching for a lot of spare parts and will cost me lot of money (we are talking about 10 models/diesels here). I really can not afford it at the moment, plus I need the time to concentrate on other projects that I already put them on the back burner started 5 years ago. Too many models, not enough time.
@dileTTante. I hear you! The fact is, I can not really afford to pay 200$ (per day) just to have a little table and do nothing. That was my intension originally. Let's be realistic! I am a hard core private collector, I do not belong to any clubs. If I would be sponsored by any company that manufactures TT scale models, maybe I would spare some of my free time. The point I'm trying to make (without upsetting anybody) is that in my 26 years living here in Colorado, I have not met anyone interested in this scale, especially European prototypes (any scale). I can not force people to like the things I like. It does not matter how hard I try. Everyone has his/her own taste about likeing things.
Christtking

Postby CSD » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:29 am

[quote="Christtking]... is that in my 26 years living here in Colorado, I have not met anyone interested in this scale...[/quote]

Time to move.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby CSD » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:31 am

Christtking wrote:... I can not really afford to pay 200$ (per day) just to have a little table and do nothing...

Kidding aside, all the shows I have attended or participated in allocate space, free of change, to those with layouts and not for profit displays.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby Christtking » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:45 pm

@CSD: I know you're kidding. It's just annoying over here the way they run the shows. I started to attend the train shows about 6 years ago. They are supposed to be a BIG DEAL. I kind of guessed it is different in other parts of the country and somewhere else. I have a feeling that they are more cleaner and more organized.
Last edited by Christtking on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christtking

Postby dileTTante » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:09 pm

Out of curiosity I downloaded registration forms for the Rocky Mountain Show -- http://rockymountaintrainshow.com/Registration.htm

The registration form for vendors says the vendor must be a member of Train Collectors Association which seems to cost $35. Tables for vendors are $25 - $55 each. Booths $175-$300.

The registration form for exhibitors -not vendors - does not ask for any fee at all.
dileTTante

Postby Christtking » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:59 pm

@dilettante: Funny thing!, I did some research too. I am not one of those people who likes to give up easy. I am commited and motivated to attend the next show (after I made a promise that this would be my last show) coming up in March 2015 and show the visitors some TT scale European prototype. I have a feeling that the people I've spoke to in person were pulling my leg, or possibly I've misunderstood something.
Christtking

Postby dileTTante » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:42 pm

This is good news. With your experience and extensive collection of TT scale you have a lot to offer.
dileTTante

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion