Roberval Saguenay

Talk about anything and everything!

Roberval Saguenay

Postby jmass » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:09 pm

if anybody wants to check out an interesting little shortline in Quebec, checkout theRoberval Saguenay. its wholly owened by alcan aluminum and basically ferrys supplys from the ports to the plants. some years ago i had an rs3 in this livery and allways wondered about this railroad. finally looked it up.
jmass

Re: Roberval Saguenay

Postby Marquette » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:56 pm

The R-S really is a nifty railway!

Not much, but I do have a few photos of their freight equipment...

They were one of the first railways to use equipment made with aluminum:

Here's a builder's photo of an aluminum gon:
RS 609.jpg

Later, these were repainted black:
RS 662.jpg

R-S had some 1944 AAR cars made of aluminum, too:
RS 1010.jpg

Quite weathered by 1972! These look similar to the 1937 AAR cars modelled by Gold Coast - but the 1944 version of the design had Improved Dreadnaught ends (if you compare you'll see the difference) and were taller - the 1937 cars had 10' inside height, while the 1944 design had 10'6" inside height. This translated to an outside height about 6"-9" taller on the 1944 cars than the 1937 cars. Doesn't sound like much, but noticeable in a train.

They also had a unique design with all-aluminum body. If we're to compare this to the GC model the first things to notice are the straight side sills on RS 1500, and the ends: RS 1500 had a three-panel end with the top two panels having 3 ribs each, the bottom panel having 4. I don't believe I've ever seen a 3-3-4 Dreadnaught end like this anywhere else. 3-3-3 yes, but this design, no. Also note the arrangement of side panels: 6 panels - door - 6 panels. This was also rather uncommon (though not totally unheard of).
RS 1500 - 2.jpg

And a caboose. This is similar to the CN design represented by the Art+Detail kit. One could either use the A+D kit as-is as a stand-in, or do some kitbashing to get a more accurate model. The most noticeable differences are the wider-spaced side windows than on the kit, and the diamond-shaped windows on the end doors.
RS 14.jpg

Color Guide to Canadian Freight Equipment volume 1 has a section of colour photos of R-S equipment, freight cars and cabeese. There's one photo of I believe this same caboose in a later paint scheme, IIRC yellow with the later green R-S logo.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby jmass » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:44 am

im guessing that for a railroad thats owened by an giant aluminum company it would be real cheap to build your own equipment using the resource you have plenty of. wish i could find a colour photo of the rs3 paint scheme ihad.
jmass

Postby ozman2009 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:44 pm

Gary
Sydney, Australia
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout".
ozman2009

Postby jmass » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:02 pm

thanks for the youtube posts Gary. found the livery colors of the rs3 on one of them.
Attachments
DSCN0676001.JPG
jmass

Return to Off Topic