Rio Grande Boxcar with reduced size flanges

Rio Grande Boxcar with reduced size flanges

Postby chrishappe » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:49 pm

DSCF2610-1.jpg
Gold Coast Rio Grande Boxcar with the flanges turned down a little. Code 55 rail.
chrishappe

Re: Rio Grande Boxcar with reduced size flanges

Postby scaro » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:56 pm

Looks nice, Chris, and the track too. Are you able to measure the GC truck wheelbase? Think it was supposed to be 'more or less' 5'6". Sound right to you?

Cheers,

Ben
scaro

Postby ctxmf74 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:19 am

Hi Chris, This looks like a solution to the problem of running gold coast cars on track with smaller flangeways? Were you able to turn the flanges down with the insulated bushings in place? I was wondering if they can stand the strain of the cutting operation's torque? ....dave
ctxmf74

Postby Marquette » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:54 am

This interests me as well.

Though of course my final goal is to use P:87 wheels so I'll probably have to get axles made too...
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ctxmf74 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:38 am

TTQuebec wrote:This interests me as well.

Though of course my final goal is to use P:87 wheels so I'll probably have to get axles made too...

If they make an HO P87 wheel in a size the equates to a TT scale freight wheel diameter you should be able to get them to mount them on TT gauge axels. The will be a set up fee so the more you order the better. P87 wheels are a bit narrower than HP wheels and have slightly smaller flanges so they should look good......dave
ctxmf74

Postby Marquette » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:36 am

They do - the 24" HO wheel is almost exactly 33" in TT, and the 26" HO wheel is almost exactly 36" in TT.

I've sent an email to NWSL asking about pricing. Once I get a response, or even now, I'll ask the question here on the board, if anyone else might be interested, so as to reduce costs for ourselves.
Marquette

Postby scaro » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:47 am

I would be interested to hear how you go with NWSL. I suggest you might try 3SMR for axles as I think they do varying lengths.

The tantalising thing is that if your 'TT' gets slightly bigger, you can use the 8mm wheels done for 3mm in the UK by the likes of Ian Osborne and others, which are not only finescale, but cheap as chips.

Ian stocks a 7mm TT wheel but it is not finescale, though the flange is quite fine. I think this was a run organised by the late John Fisher.

Ben
scaro

Postby CSD » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:43 am

Folks,

Seeing as this topic is not about an off the shelf item in the library format, I've moved it to the Prototypes/Model forum for futher disscussion.

-Mark
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby Marquette » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:06 am

scaro wrote:I would be interested to hear how you go with NWSL. I suggest you might try 3SMR for axles as I think they do varying lengths.

The quote I asked them for was the HO 24" wheels mounted on pointed-tip axles, axles of a length to fit the Gold Coast trucks. If the price is reasonable enough, I'm willing to pay a little more to save on the time and trouble of mounting and gauging the wheels myself.

The tantalising thing is that if your 'TT' gets slightly bigger, you can use the 8mm wheels done for 3mm in the UK by the likes of Ian Osborne and others, which are not only finescale, but cheap as chips.

This may sound somewhat ironic...

...but there's too much available in N. Am. proto TT in 1:120 for me to consider changing the scale.

Ian stocks a 7mm TT wheel but it is not finescale, though the flange is quite fine. I think this was a run organised by the late John Fisher.
Ben

The 8mm wheel works out to 37.8" (TT scale inches), so a bit big for N. Am. freight or pax cars in 1:120; the 7mm would be almost exact for a 33" wheel. So that could be a useful thing.

NWSL also has other specifications besides P:87 for the 24" and 26" HO wheels (33" and 36" respectively in TT), so it's very possible that they have a profile that will work with standard TT track. However, this isn't something I've looked into, as I would like to get as close as possible to Proto:120.

EDIT: Also, Ben: I took the calipers to the GC truck, and the wheelbase is almost bang-on 5'6".
Marquette

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:03 pm

TTQuebec wrote:NWSL also has other specifications besides P:87 for the 24" and 26" HO wheels (33" and 36" respectively in TT), so it's very possible that they have a profile that will work with standard TT track. However, this isn't something I've looked into, as I would like to get as close as possible to Proto:120.

Before getting too far toward P120 wheels I'd suggest you do some testing. I model in all scales so have tried the various wheel standards and have found that a flange about .020 works the best no matter what scale car it is on. Thus P48 with it's .023 flanges works great, P64 with .019 is still ok but P87 with .013 is too touchy. The smaller P87 flanges look good especially in photographs but the trade off is a lot more effort to put the cars on the track, to not knock them off during routine coupling , etc. The track and trucks also have to be built and maintained to a lot more time consuming standards.
If the layout is simple with nice straight and level track, wide curves and large numbered switch frogs it will be easier to keep small flanges on the rails but if it's the typical compromised model scene with tight curves and less than perfect track work the smaller flanges will make operations a lot more work. I'm planning an HO layout now and just did a lot of testing with P87 wheels and sergent couplers and finally decided to go with code 88 wheels and KD "scale" couplers after playing with the stuff for a few hours.
It is interesting to me that HP went with flanges about .022 high way back in the old days when a lot of models had very large flanges, too bad the Europeans didn't pick up on this as they developed their TT lines........dave
ctxmf74

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models