Ridiculous Detail

Talk about anything and everything!

Re: Ridiculous Detail

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:05 pm

ConnRiver wrote:What level of detail is desired for new TT scale products? Would N scale detail level be acceptable on new resin-cast rolling stock and locomotives?

Oh definitely, typical present day N detail is much better than old HP products that make up a lot of the current rolling stock selection. I think since we have so little to choose from now that almost anything new would sell? There's plenty of room for new short production run kits as well as new RTR stuff like Gold Coast is making. ...dave
ctxmf74

Postby jmass » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:33 pm

hey Brian. are you still working on the sd40 project?
jmass

Postby ConnRiver » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:59 pm

jmass wrote:hey Brian. are you still working on the sd40 project?

J, hi. The SD40 is my favorite freight diesel, so it was a personal choice for me to work on it. I've decided to put it on the back burner, because it seems as though the scale needs 1st Gen-Transition era items first. (Do you agree, like modelers in the other scales, that most TTers would prefer to work in the T-era?) And, the New England TT scale layout I've been planning is set in November 1955 ;-)

I've been studying information that could lead to modular Geep (-7, -9, -18, -20) kits. I've uploaded into my CAD program the terrific series of Geep drawings that appeared in Mainline Modeler magazine in the early 1980s; the Diesel List guys, in the wake of Athearn's posting of Geep photos of the unit it's developing, have been discussing Geep details (boy, these guys know their stuff!); Scott Chatfield's clinic writeup of Geep spotting features is critical information; I've collected superior drawings and information about EMD's Blomberg trucks; and to top it off, a renowned figure in our hobby is mailing me EMD GP7 general arrangement drawings.

So, I'm moving forward with a TT scale Geep series of locos. I'm trying to get short hood doors ready to CNC cut this weekend as a preliminary test.

In previous months, I've done quite a bit of research into creating a "universal" power chassis in the scale (a power drive alterable to fit various-sized frames). NWSL is happy to cooperate in this endeavor, I've been informed. Seems to me DCC-ready is the way to go. If I'm successful here, this chassis will look like traditional chasses used in HO scale and function in the same way. The 3D software I use will not only ensure that the designed parts fit together appropriately, it allows the assigning of material qualities to parts so that weight and mass of a designed assembly can be known beforehand, too. Very helpful.

I hope it seems that I'm on the right track (pun intended). If I'm fortunate to develop and produce items TTers (myself included) will want to have, the sky's the limit. Maybe, with some movement in the scale, more developers will join the "fray." Quixotic dream? Maybe. But, got to plunge ahead and see what happens. Right?

-Brian

Brian Chapman
Evansdale, Iowa

(Al, you following me around? You gonna make me get a restraining order?) LOL!
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby jmass » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:32 pm

I agree, a natural progression of prototype would be the way to go. maybe while working on the gp 9 it wouldnt be to much of a strech in parallel sd units,sd 9 sd18? good luck on your work! joe
jmass

Postby areibel » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:43 pm

ConnRiver wrote:Brian Chapman
Evansdale, Iowa

(Al, you following me around? You gonna make me get a restraining order?) LOL!

Naah! I just want to keep tabs on you, I want to be customer #1 for whatever you build!
Al
areibel

Previous

Return to Off Topic