Resin Wood Reefer Project

This sub forum is meant to be a model library. Feel free to add any information / pictures and your own reviews on models. If a topic on your model already exists, please add to it. Otherwise, start a new one.

Resin Wood Reefer Project

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:46 am

Here is an image of the first good test casting of the 40' wood reefer.
20130912firstimage.jpg

It is a one piece body casting. The floor with under frame will be made this weekend.
It is modelled after the Accurail HO Scale 40' wood reefer.
If i can find an acceptable substitute for reefer yellow the casting will be painted this weekend.
So far I can only find a reefer orange so that may have to do although the yellow would be the better colour for this model.

I also passed on to my caster friend what I thought was going to be project 4, but he said that it might be project 7!
What he has in mind for projects 4, 5 and 6 I do not yet know.
We will see what he comes up with.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Re: Resin Wood Reefer Project

Postby scaro » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:26 am

it looks nice. i looked through the STMFC list and this prototype did not stir too many angry discussions so i am hoping the accurail reefer was reasonably close to a few prototypes.
scaro

Postby Arseny » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:08 am

Reefer is a good idea.
It would be interesting to compare it with RailTT's one (did you get any?)

36175419.jpg
Arseny

Postby scaro » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:10 am

i did not know he did one! how does one find out?
scaro

Postby Arseny » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:48 am

It was one of his first attempts in American TT.
You can find it here:
http://railtt.ucoz.ua/news/1-0-2
http://railtt.ucoz.ua/news/40_reefers_s ... -09-02-389

But I am not sure it is quite prototypical, so I'd like to compare it with Bill's model...
Last edited by Arseny on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arseny

Postby scaro » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:46 am

bill's is based on an HO model i think. it depends if that's prototypical. short answer is i don't know but i can't find a series of postings denouncing it on the american steam era freight car list, and if something is wrong, they tend to have a big discussion about it.

i have read that the accurail model has a fishbelly sill and this makes it close to FEC and B&O reefers.

trouble with US modelling is that good diagrams are essential and they are often hard to get. you may find there is a diagram, but it is published in a book, and it would cost $50 for the book, and $40 to have it air mailed.

so very few people do. can't say i blame them.

i think if people would share information at least, they'd have more good models, but people are not smart that way sometimes.
scaro

Postby Tom Dempsey » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:35 pm

The Accurail wood sheathed reefer is a BREX prototype, it's fairly uncommon but can be modified for other roads.
Tom Dempsey

Postby scaro » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:05 pm

my knowledge of reefers is limited; they tended to work all over in a nationwide pool, didn't they?

if so, it may not matter much how common it is. it is good news that this is a model of something that worked the real rails.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 4340,d.ZGU

at this link there is a history of the FGEX/WFEX/BREX fleet, as they apparently did all operate as one, all over the US.
scaro

Postby Tom Dempsey » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:13 pm

That's a "yea but" sort of statement. The BREX prototype was not that common a car within the BREX fleet, but the Accurail version of the car can be modified to match better with other wood side cars. You may want to read the articles in the Winter 2013 and Spring 2013 Keystone Modeler magazines which you can download from the Pennsylvania Railroad Technical & Historical Society website. The Fruit Grower's/Western Fruit Express cars tended to ply the rails of their owners much more than "foreign rails" but you might see them anywhere, also the era you are modeling can change how much these cars traveled off home rails. Bill, I would try 90% TruColor Reefer Yellow/10% TruColor Reefer Orange, this ought to get you close.
Tom Dempsey

Postby j p » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:47 pm

scaro wrote:bill's is based on an HO model i think. it depends if that's prototypical. short answer is i don't know but i can't find a series of postings denouncing it on the american steam era freight car list, and if something is wrong, they tend to have a big discussion about it.

i have read that the accurail model has a fishbelly sill and this makes it close to FEC and B&O reefers.

trouble with US modelling is that good diagrams are essential and they are often hard to get. you may find there is a diagram, but it is published in a book, and it would cost $50 for the book, and $40 to have it air mailed.

so very few people do. can't say i blame them.

i think if people would share information at least, they'd have more good models, but people are not smart that way sometimes.

Have you tried your library?
I can borrow (almost) any book through ILL. At the moment I have 4 books from the National Railroad Library, St. Louis, MO.
j p

Next

Return to TT Scale Models