Resin Wood Reefer Project

This sub forum is meant to be a model library. Feel free to add any information / pictures and your own reviews on models. If a topic on your model already exists, please add to it. Otherwise, start a new one.

Re: Resin Wood Reefer Project

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:18 am

Still painting my test shell.
Screwed up on painting the hardware. Need to touch up the yellow.

Not sure what to decal it. Probably a private road name as those decals will be easy to do.

Haven't been able to get a good picture. Going to have to stop trying to use my phone camera and use an actual camera.
The gloss paint job is throwing things off a bit. It does look good with yellow sides, brown roof, ends and under frame, and black hardware.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby j p » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:42 am

I can try to help with some pictures. I tried to search for 40' wood reefers with fish belly center sill and found out that North Western Refrigerator Line Co. would be one option. Which ends does your reefer have? Both wood and steel ends would work for NWX.
Another possiblility would be Union Refrigerator Transit and Western Refrigerator Line (both with with wood ends)
j p

Postby scaro » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:38 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:Still painting my test shell.
Screwed up on painting the hardware. Need to touch up the yellow.

Not sure what to decal it. Probably a private road name as those decals will be easy to do.

Haven't been able to get a good picture. Going to have to stop trying to use my phone camera and use an actual camera.
The gloss paint job is throwing things off a bit. It does look good with yellow sides, brown roof, ends and under frame, and black hardware.

well. based on the things bill has sent me already, i can say that they are better than they appear in photos.

i'd have confidence that the reefer is going to be a good'un.

ben
scaro

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:01 am

Been painting my test shell and my finished model.
20131001reefers.jpg

I couldn't get Reefer Yellow so I ended up using PGE Yellow which is a bit orange.
I like the results and will use it for my private road name cars. I now have access to some Polyscale Reefer yellow and if I can get that to spray properly I will use that on a few cars.
I say "if I can get it to spray properly" as I had a disaster trying to spray two hoppers CNR brown. It did not cover at all well. Happily I was able to wash the paint right off. I may not have cleaned the shell properly. Don't know what went wrong but I think next time I will use a primer on the shell first.
Working on decals for CPR and my private road names. I received the info to do the PGE silver cars from a local PGE modeller.
Want to do a few bill board cars but they cannot be too fancy unless I want to pay to have the decals made.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby richardedmonds » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:45 pm

Oh no Bill my wallet is getting flat not fat and looks like it might be getting flatter. I like the old reefers and yours is looking good
richardedmonds

Postby scaro » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:46 am

they look great. gotta have one and a 36' boxcar too.
scaro

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:17 am

For a while (read years) I have been running my two wood reefers, painted, unlettered.
In a BCSME post I showed the results of adding printed sides to the car.
I like the results so I took my three unbuilt reefers and removed the side hardware to give a smooth surface for the paper sides.

This month MicroTrains released two N-Scale banana reefers with slightly different paint schemes. I am going to do one car with a different scheme on each side.
The other two will become beer reefers, one colourful and one plain.

Tomorrow (today) I will clean and prime the shells. Then when the primer is dry, do the body paint using Vallejo acrylics. All going well (and it doesn't get too hot to work) they should be finished Tuesday.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Previous

Return to TT Scale Models