Resin Wood Reefer Project

This sub forum is meant to be a model library. Feel free to add any information / pictures and your own reviews on models. If a topic on your model already exists, please add to it. Otherwise, start a new one.

Re: Resin Wood Reefer Project

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:13 pm

We had a few models to choose from when making this car.
Originally we are going to copy an HO Scale CPR reefer but we realized that car was unique to the CPR.

The TT_Scale market is too small to support very may unique cars. Generic cars are more useful right now.

The Accurail car was chosen because it is not too unique. There are a handful of paint schemes it is right for and it can be painted in several other schemes without being too wrong. It is a perfectly use able car if you want to build a fleet for your private road name.

It is not correct for the Billboard era. That would need a 36' car, but if you want to do billboard schemes on it go right ahead. The model will be a reasonable stand-in until the proper car is produced.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Richard-B » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:50 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:The Accurail car was chosen because it is not too unique.

Quoting Bill Welch in STMFC:
"Within the BRE group about half of their cars were a USRA influenced car well represented by the Accurail wood reefer. These were BRE's Signature Car...." i.e. BREX.

The mega-article on these cars was the 2008 PDF "The Wood Sheathed Cars of the FGEX/WFEX/BREX Freight Refrigerator Fleet: 1940-1953" by Bill Welch... published jointly by the B&O, PRR (T-K-M) and ACL-SAL modelers groups. 81 pages and over 10megs...

Bill Dixon wrote:There are a handful of paint schemes it is right for and it can be painted in several other schemes without being too wrong. It is a perfectly use able car if you want to build a fleet for your private road name.

Sigh I guess ...just not Santa Fe (SFRD) - they used 5ft doors, ...and not PFE - too many and too different.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby j p » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:04 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:It is not correct for the Billboard era. That would need a 36' car, but if you want to do billboard schemes on it go right ahead. The model will be a reasonable stand-in until the proper car is produced.

Why do you think so? Many billboard reefers were 40'. 40' reefers were manufactured since 1913 (at least).
(See "Billboard Refrigerator Cars" by Richard Hendrikson and Edward Kaminski.)

One drawback of the resin reefer on the picture are the casted grabirons. Those add extra work and risk of damaging the kit when removing them. Wouldn't it be easier to make the car without them to save the modeller some time? Grabirons made out of a wire look much better. Are there similar problems also at the car ends?
j p

Postby CSD » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:09 pm

Took a look at the Accurail page and they have one of these painted up in CN livery. Perfect! I'm in for some.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:41 pm

I'll buy some as well.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:02 am

i'll take one as well.
scaro

Postby j p » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:01 pm

I'll buy some too :)
j p

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:34 am

Been another busy weekend. Not too much time for modelling let alone rest. Weather turned from Summer to Fall rain.

Did manage to find a half bottle of Reefer Yellow and tried to spray paint my test shell.
I forgot that yellow goes on very thin and needs several coats to get a good colour. Almost ruined the shell by spraying too thick and then watched the paint run down the shell and puddle along the bottom edge. Recovered from that.
Shell is drying waiting for another day that I can spray a second coat.

Someone mentioned the Accurail site.http://www.accurail.com/accurail/4800.htm
All the paint schemes they used are on this page. I do not think that all of them are correct but it still gives a good selection of schemes to choose from. I will have a PGE silver car and a CNR car if I can find or have made a CNR Maple leaf in the correct size. Other schemes to be decided on although I will have some for my private road names.

Waiting on the under frame and ladders.
If the caster does not do a resin roof walk I will use HO Scale strip wood. I think three HO Scale 1" x 3" will do. That will give me a roof walk width of just over 12".
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:15 am

There is news about this project (Officially Project #3) but until the image uploading issue is resolved it will have to wait.
And so will news about projects #4 and #5 which I just found out about today.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:41 pm

Lets try again.

It never rains but it pours - or to put it another way many good things arrive at once.
I know these models are over shadowed by the SW1200s (Have you ordered yours yet? I have) but they are interesting nevertheless.

Usually when somebody brings me a six-pack beer holder I am unhappy if it contains no beer.
20130920beercase.jpg
In this case I will be lenient because almost every compartment had an interesting resin bit in it.

20130920woodreefer.jpg
Here is a finished (with a quick paint job) wood reefer.
20130920paintedreefer.jpg
I have been trying to paint my test shell with Floquil Reefer yellow - I borrowed a bottle. It is not going on very well. I forgot that yellow needs to go on in several thin layers. You cant' rush it as i was trying to do with less than wonderful results. i will add another coat when the weather stops bucketing down.

The kit comes with a one piece body and a separate under frame.
You need to add: trucks, couplers, brake wheel and a piece of wire for the brake staff, and stirrup steps.

The kt will cost $ 25.00.

Projects:
Project 0 was the old Coastal engineering hopper car molds that started this all off. They can still be produced if anybody wants them

Project 1 is the new ribbed side two-bay hopper.

Project 2 is the new offset side two-bay hopper.

This wood reefer is project 3.
I will discuss the new project four in a new topic.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to TT Scale Models