Resin Hoppers

Re: Resin Hoppers

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:37 pm

Honestly Bill, I'm ok with whatever is the best you can do with what you have :thumbup:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:45 pm

areibel wrote:Mine showed up today, excellent work! Thanks for doing these Bill, they look great!

I cannot take credit for the masters, they are by Geoff Gooderham, a local modeler who makes a lot of cast N-Scale CPR stuff.

areibel wrote:And the decals, I'd just go with the yellow. Could you do a light wash of orange or red orange over them before weathering to change the tint a bit? Like this one (thanks to George Ellwood!)-
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/co/co59177goa.jpg
A light wash over a black car, then add the dust and grime weathering- I think it would work. Or you could just make life easy on yourself and do one like this-
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/co/co49537kga.jpg

Thank you for the second image. It gave me correct LD LMT and LT WT numbers for a two-bay hopper car.
There are several white C&O schemes I could do but the Chessie scheme is more orange. I will pursue this further and see what I can come up with.

There are many more schemes to think about; Erie, Reading, NP, ATSF, GNR, . . .. The problem is that if I do them all I will end up with a large fleet of two-bay hoppers and not much else in my car fleet.

I do have a good selection of box cars thanks to Gold Coast, flat cars from RailTT, and one caboose from RailTT. I am working on a low side gondola. I have a selection of older HP Products and other older manufacturers cars that need rehabilitation.
I would like stock cars, tank cars, gondolas, 50' flat cars(could be made into a 50' bulkhead flat car) and 50' box cars. I would not mind a fleet of ore cars. I know a seller on Shapeways has a set but I am waiting for a review from someone who has purchased them.
And of course locomotives.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby scaro » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:37 am

boxcars is what we are missing, i think. we only have two or three types and there were many, many types, probably far more types than the various varieties of gondola and hopper.
scaro

Postby j p » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:56 am

Bill Dixon wrote:I do have a good selection of box cars thanks to Gold Coast, flat cars from RailTT, and one caboose from RailTT. I am working on a low side gondola. I have a selection of older HP Products and other older manufacturers cars that need rehabilitation.
I would like stock cars, tank cars, gondolas, 50' flat cars(could be made into a 50' bulkhead flat car) and 50' box cars. I would not mind a fleet of ore cars. I know a seller on Shapeways has a set but I am waiting for a review from someone who has purchased them.
And of course locomotives.

Re. tank cars:
I think that the brass tank cars from John Harmon are very nice, I would recommend them to you. Paul Karichner sells them on ebay quite often. The only tricky part for you could be getting metric M2 screws for the bolsters - scrapped laptop computer could help.
http://www.ttnut.com/joma-tanker-car-t341.html
I have 3 of them in SP scheme. Many more are waiting for decals.
j p

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:39 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Honestly Bill, I'm ok with whatever is the best you can do with what you have :thumbup:

Tried printing decals today - not good enough.
To do an orange with the ALPs if you do not have the expensive orange cartridge, you first print Magenta, then overlay with White and then overlay with Yellow. Very poor results with the logos.
Out of 46 logos, I have ONE that is perfect, a couple that might be useful if you wish to do a bit of touch up and a lot of crap.
Out of all the attempts (23 sets) there are enough good bits of the other lettering to make a handful of cars.
The problem is that sometimes the inks do not want to adhere to each other. Sometime it is the ink, sometimes it is temperature.
I am going to get another sheet of decal paper and print only Logos. To encourage adhesion I will warm the decal paper.

Will let you know results later this week.
Hopper orders will be ready to ship by the end of the week.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:18 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Honestly Bill, I'm ok with whatever is the best you can do with what you have :thumbup:

Tried printing decals again today - still not working. I have wasted enough time and consumables of this project.
Until I can acquire an orange cartridge I cannot print orange.
I have printed the Chessie Cat scheme in White.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:48 am

I'm fine with that. Check your PMs.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:01 am

Having fun with this project. The cars look good. Made a lot of decals for them.

For the ribbed side cars I have made: CNJ, C&O, Pennsylvania, Pere Marquette, Western Maryland and four different sets for my own railroads.

For the Offset side cars I have made: C&O - Straight Line logo, Chessie System and one set for one of my own railroads.

There are many more schemes I could do but for now I am going to work on finishing a few more cars for my self.

I did spend a lot of time on the Chessie “Orange’ Decals. Last night I finally did some research on the scheme. If I had done this a few weeks ago I would have saved a lot of grief, two sheets of decal paper and a few feet of irreplaceable Alps ribbon. The cars have Yellow lettering - the picture just looks orange! Oh well.

And now a teaser for the next car:
20130614_wood reefer.jpg
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:46 pm

Was a good day for painting - I Now have seven black and one brown ribbed-side hoppers ready for decals.
The brown will be a Pennsylvania car. The black cars a mix of my own railroads and some others.
A few offset-side cars are arriving next week to become variations on C&O/Chessie.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:31 pm

Bill, what type of car is the reefer?
ConducTTor
Site Admin