Resin Cast Track

Re: Resin Cast Track

Postby Rob M » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:03 pm

Looks like a great start!

Bernd wrote:I had thought of milling a slot for the track but didn't have a mill small enough.

Try some of the Kyocera bits from this guy on eBay, http://stores.ebay.com/carbideplus?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
They are great for plastics and won't break the bank.

Small cutters (under .020") do break easily if you aren't careful. He has some assortments that will cost less in the long run. And, 2 flute mills (cheaper than 4 flute) are better for plastic.
Rob M

Postby richardedmonds » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:02 pm

IMG_2582.JPG
That looks very impressive Bernd, there doesn't seem much info about resin ties so I am very interested how it all works out. Up till now I am still looking at wood and PCB ties and turnouts. However Marks (Sazmodel) turnouts arrived and I am pretty impressed with them so I am sort of rethinking what I will do.
What is certain though is it will be code 55 anything else to me looks like building girders. The tie plates are a problem in as much as there will be zillions of them. I am looking at using Ben's techniques of thin strips of paper either side of the rail as an alternative. All in all if I didn't have the finescale bug I would use the Keuhn code 70 flextrak but against the code 55 turnouts it does look hefty so unless these resin ties work out I will stay with the wood.
Oh meant to say my etched Jig worked out good for number 6 turnouts but I didn't try building any yet and am considering Marks offerings as I was pleased with them.
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:43 pm

No Bernd apparently my people cannot etch alluminium it is 0.9mm stainless steel. I didn't want brass or nickle silver in case I got too happy with the solder. It does work ok but in reality a machined piece would in my opinion as I am limited to etching half way through the metal or all the way through only. Thats ok for me but means I have to pack the back of the metal to allow for pcb tie thickness.
However although crude it will work I just checked it against Marks turnouts and mine is longer thus the radius of the turnout is slightly bigger. I am pleased with myself though I am very limited drawing ability on cad but can get stuff drawn and produced now and I wish I started all this years ago--- now if I had your skill ???????? LOL
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:28 pm

Looks impressive Bernd I am eager to see the final outcome. I built my first turnout with my jig last night and was amazed that it worked quite smoothly. Not as good as Marks ones but it is my first one after all.
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:30 pm

I forgot to say that the standard of finish on my attempt is not a patch on the quality of the Sazmodel one one is a good thing to take account of
richardedmonds

Postby sd80mac » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:47 am

Hi Bernd,

Since I don't have access to my mill right now, I did the next best thing. I purchased a package of .060" × .080" strip styrene to make ties, and a package of .010" × .060" strip styrene to make tie plates. Also, got a pack of .040" × .100" strip to use as spacers. This will all get glued to a .060" styrene base for use with code 55 rail.

Donnell
sd80mac

Postby sd80mac » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:02 am

Bernd wrote:
sd80mac wrote:Hi Bernd,

Since I don't have access to my mill right now, I did the next best thing. I purchased a package of .060" × .080" strip styrene to make ties, and a package of .010" × .060" strip styrene to make tie plates. Also, got a pack of .040" × .100" strip to use as spacers. This will all get glued to a .060" styrene base for use with code 55 rail.

Donnell

I believe what you are doing is going to work also. It's like back in the 60's and 70's when handlaying track was popular. They showed how to make the jig to make about 3 feet of corretly spaced ties by using the jig to hold the ties & a piece of masking tape. You pulled the ties up off the jig and you had three feet of correctly spaced ties ready to glue down on the table.

I was going to try that also. But since I already have the mill sitting on a table I took the easy way out. It will be interesting to see how you make. Post some picture's of your method if you have the spare time to do it. I'm sure others will be interested.

Bernd

I was actually following your lead in making a master for casting. I have two main ideas; one is to make a 10"-12" strip of ties to cast, and the other is to make a series of short tie strips to fit in between PCB ties.

The first option would yield results similar to CVT. The only issue is that I'm not very fond of gluing rail to ties. So, this method may require the additional purchase of Proto 87 Stores scale spikes. The second option would be more for esthetics, as the PCB ties would hold the guage.

Donnell
sd80mac

Postby sd80mac » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:03 am

Bernd wrote:
sd80mac wrote:Hi Bernd,

Donnell

I believe what you are doing is going to work also. It's like back in the 60's and 70's when handlaying track was popular. They showed how to make the jig to make about 3 feet of corretly spaced ties by using the jig to hold the ties & a piece of masking tape. You pulled the ties up off the jig and you had three feet of correctly spaced ties ready to glue down on the table.

I was going to try that also. But since I already have the mill sitting on a table I took the easy way out. It will be interesting to see how you make. Post some picture's of your method if you have the spare time to do it. I'm sure others will be interested.

Bernd

I was actually following your lead in making a master for casting. I have two main ideas; one is to make a 10"-12" strip of ties to cast, and the other is to make a series of short tie strips to fit in between PCB ties.

The first option would yield results similar to CVT. The only issue is that I'm not very fond of gluing rail to ties. So, this method may require the additional purchase of Proto 87 Stores scale spikes. The second option would be more for esthetics, as the PCB ties would hold the guage.

Donnell
sd80mac

Postby richardedmonds » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:03 am

Interesting Bernd how do you propose to get the detail into the frog and turnout rails
richardedmonds

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:53 pm

I don't think driving spikes into resin ties is going to work out.
Tom Dempsey

Next

Return to General Discussion