Rescaled Models

Re: Rescaled Models

Postby Arseny » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:23 pm

Bernd wrote:Here are 5 HO scale kits that could be rescaled to TT scale. These are the types of kits I would like to see in TT scale. If I get my laser these are the types of kits I make.

Here's an ice platform form an old HO scale kit. It can be rescaled into TT scale. It would provide a very nice rail service industry.
Here's another rail service industry and a small country station.

Are you sure that it's a good idea to start with ice platform?
First of all, you need some reefers if you have an ice platform on your layout. There are no reefers available in TT now. :( Only old ones.
And ice platform needs a lot of space. If you build small layout, you can't use ice platform...

It seems to me that 2nd and 3rd kits (produce shed and Skull Valley station) would be better. Coaling station, too.
As concerns water tank - it looks quite similar to KB-Model's one. Does it have sence to make the same model? It is still available somewhere in Europe... If you need water tank, maybe it would be better to make some other model?..
Arseny

Postby Bernd » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:52 pm

Arseny wrote:$16 is reasonable price. But current price is $23.98
http://www.branchline-trains.com/lasera ... es-ho.html

As yes. It has gone up in price, just like everything else in the states.

And it is quite simple kit. For example, gas station is $53.98 "Dubois Store" is $107.98...
http://www.branchline-trains.com/lasera ... al-ho.html

What would you consider the price of such kits should be in TT scale?

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Arseny » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:18 pm

Bernd wrote:
Arseny wrote:And it is quite simple kit. For example, gas station is $53.98 "Dubois Store" is $107.98...
http://www.branchline-trains.com/lasera ... al-ho.html

What would you consider the price of such kits should be in TT scale?

It is only my opinion... But I think $40 for gas station and $50-60 for store would be good price, wouldn't it?
Arseny

Postby Bernd » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:19 pm

Arseny wrote:Are you sure that it's a good idea to start with ice platform?
First of all, you need some reefers if you have an ice platform on your layout. There are no reefers available in TT now. :( Only old ones.
And ice platform needs a lot of space. If you build small layout, you can't use ice platform...

I see two problems here. One is the lack of rolling stock equipment. So being that TT scale is a "builders scale" I say that one would need to scratchbuild a couple of reefer cars. The other peoblem is that people from other countries do not have the space that many Americans have. For example I have a 2300sqft basement, I don't know how many meters that would be, that I could built a large layout in. Those with a limited space would probably choose smaller kits to fit there smaller layouts.

I'm offering some ideas here for discussion. The icing platform will fit in a 6¾" by 16" HO scale space. That would be approximately 5" by 11½ in TT scale.

It seems to me that 2nd and 3rd kits (produce shed and Skull Valley station) would be better. Coaling station, too.

They would make ideal kits for TT.

As concerns water tank - it looks quite similar to KB-Model's one. Does it have sence to make the same model? It is still available somewhere in Europe... If you need water tank, maybe it would be better to make some other model?..

The KB-model may have more of a European lines than American. I haven't seen it so don't know. This water tank is a generic one that was used on many railroads over hear.

Here's another small kit that could be made. A milk station. There were many of these in the place I live that were used to pick up milk cans to be taken to the creamery for processing. Note that it's says it can be used from a 1920 to present.

All I'm trying to do here put out some ideas for discussion. Is there a problem if I or some other manufacturer puts these kits out, other than duplication?

Bernd
Bernd

Postby j p » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:15 pm

Arseny wrote:
Bernd wrote:Here are 5 HO scale kits that could be rescaled to TT scale. These are the types of kits I would like to see in TT scale. If I get my laser these are the types of kits I make.

Here's an ice platform form an old HO scale kit. It can be rescaled into TT scale. It would provide a very nice rail service industry.
Here's another rail service industry and a small country station.

Are you sure that it's a good idea to start with ice platform?

+ You have forgotten to mention that an excellent laser-cut ice platform and ice house in TT-scale are available from Art&Detail.
Icehouse.jpg

Assembled and painted kit is somewhere on this board.

The water tower from KB model is available, and Rob D. (ZeukeTT) can order it for you. Or TT-West can.

The KB-model may have more of a European lines than American. I haven't seen it so don't know. This water tank is a generic one that was used on many railroads over hear.

Was that supposed to be a joke? American style water towers were not used in Europe! KB Model makes also a Central-European style water tower - which is completely different and the only thing in common is that both were used for water...

As it has been written here hundred times: we need variety, not more of the same. It is up to Bernd what he wants to do with his time and money, of course. This is just an indication that the demand for a new ice platform may be very limited, close to zero - because everyone who really needed a new ice platform has got it already.

What I really miss in TT-scale is a possibility to unload my hoppers! Bernd, how about a coaling trestle? Would that be interesting to make?
j p

Postby Arseny » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:29 pm

Bernd wrote:I see two problems here. One is the lack of rolling stock equipment. So being that TT scale is a "builders scale" I say that one would need to scratchbuild a couple of reefer cars.

I am afraid that "scratchbuilders only" way is a way to nowhere. If we wish TT to grow and expand, we need some good easy-to-build kits and RTR models.

And even so, if you are a scratchbuilder, it may be interesting to build one car, or two, but I think it will be too monotonous and boring to build 5-10 almost identical cars...

Bernd wrote:The other peoblem is that people from other countries do not have the space that many Americans have. For example I have a 2300sqft basement, I don't know how many meters that would be, that I could built a large layout in. Those with a limited space would probably choose smaller kits to fit there smaller layouts.

It's true, if you have your own house. I know a couple of fellows who live in New York, they do not have a lot of space it their rooms. Bjorn have built "GuiTTar case" in Canada, not in Japan or Netherlands...;)

Bernd wrote:I'm offering some ideas here for discussion. The icing platform will fit in a 6¾" by 16" HO scale space. That would be approximately 5" by 11½ in TT scale.

Hmm, approximately 300 mm in length - it is quite acceptable for ice platform.
(I like naval history and I know well that 12" = 305 mm was very popular gun caliber for old battleships :) )

I have old ice platform paper kit from John Harmon and it seemed for me that it is much bigger. Maybe I was wrong.

Bernd wrote:The KB-model may have more of a European lines than American. I haven't seen it so don't know.

Yes, they produce European buildings mostly, but they also offered American water tower.
(Oddly enough, I can't find it on their site - but it is still available in some European hobby-shops)
kb-model-no-4090-water-tank-t1966.html#p33447

Bernd wrote:Here's another small kit that could be made. A milk station. There were many of these in the place I live that were used to pick up milk cans to be taken to the creamery for processing. Note that it's says it can be used from a 1920 to present.

I am not sure that milk station will be popular. Sometimes ago RailTT made milk station, just for fun. I've announced it here and tried to sell it on Ebay, but failed.
milk-platform-station-building-t2311.html

As for me, I beleive we need some residential and commercial buildings. Not only railroad structures.
Arseny

Postby Bernd » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:03 pm

j p wrote:+ You have forgotten to mention that an excellent laser-cut ice platform and ice house in TT-scale are available from Art&Detail.
Icehouse.jpg

Assembled and painted kit is somewhere on this board.

Very nice. I hadn't seen that one. It's quite big.

The water tower from KB model is available, and Rob D. (ZeukeTT) can order it for you. Or TT-West can.

Was that supposed to be a joke? American style water towers were not used in Europe! KB Model makes also a Central-European style water tower - which is completely different and the only thing in common is that both were used for water...

No, no joke.
As it has been written here hundred times: we need variety, not more of the same. It is up to Bernd what he wants to do with his time and money, of course. This is just an indication that the demand for a new ice platform may be very limited, close to zero - because everyone who really needed a new ice platform has got it already.

Since the ice houses are not identical I would say we have a variety of two. You choose between two different size ice houses.

What I really miss in TT-scale is a possibility to unload my hoppers! Bernd, how about a coaling trestle? Would that be interesting to make?

Now your talking of an interesting model. I've seen several plans in different magazines and have built something similar in HO for a club I once belonged to.

How about something like this in TT scale? It can be animated to actually unload coal cars.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:19 pm

Arseny wrote:I am afraid that "scratchbuilders only" way is a way to nowhere. If we wish TT to grow and expand, we need some good easy-to-build kits and RTR models.

And even so, if you are a scratchbuilder, it may be interesting to build one car, or two, but I think it will be too monotonous and boring to build 5-10 almost identical cars...

There's a method to building several at one time. I'll demonstrate the technique when I find more spare time.

Yes, they produce European buildings mostly, but they also offered American water tower.
(Oddly enough, I can't find it on their site - but it is still available in some European hobby-shops)
kb-model-no-4090-water-tank-t1966.html#p33447

I am not sure that milk station will be popular. Sometimes ago RailTT made milk station, just for fun. I've announced it here and tried to sell it on Ebay, but failed.
milk-platform-station-building-t2311.html

Yes, I remember seeming both of those models. Very nice water tank.

As for me, I beleive we need some residential and commercial buildings. Not only railroad structures.

Yes we do but we need railroad structures first since we or at lest I am building a model of a rail line would need railroad structures to support the rail line.

First though I need to build a TT scale module to try out some techniques. Hopefully this coming cold season I'll have more time.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby TiTan downunder » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:25 pm

Rotary dumper - now your talking, except that's a wood chip car. I would prefer a bigger unit to handle 2 x coal porters in one go.

ATSF coal hoppers.JPG

Next option would be a end tilt / lift unloader for the wood chip cars.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby areibel » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:46 pm

It looks like you need to design a TT scale rotary coupler Ian!
areibel

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models