Recommended radius for passenger cars.

Recommended radius for passenger cars.

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:13 pm

Does anyone know what a good radius curve is for passenger cars in TT scale?

I have a few HP streamline cars with the metal knuckle couplers, and they do not always for well on 353mm Tillig curves, as one car will bind into the other, usually causing a derailment.

Options that I have are to use larger radius curves on my future modular layout, and/or use longer shank couplers.

Any advice?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Recommended radius for passenger cars.

Postby krokodil » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:25 am

It is very difficult to say. Generally there is basic conflict between the model and the real railroad. In the real world the railroads does not need to deal with such question ( radius of the curves) ie the new cars are getting longer and longer. In model world we have to deal always with the space and try to reduce the radius to get more and more tracks in the given space.
This is a big dilemma also for the manufacturers. They will bring out the models of the latest usually very long vehicles and run into the problem of the coupling of such cars.
There are some theoretical papers describing the situation of the models in the curves, especially for the more critical two axle long cars.
Additionaly in your case the knuckle couplers require different approach as the common KKK couplers. For your case is definitively better to select the longer couplers and leave the radius as it is common in TT world. The limitation is anyway mostly on the switches, as their diverting radius is mostly given and you cannot force everybody to use switches with radius 400 mm and up.
For that reason I do not use any long cars on my layout. They create me similar problems and additionaly does not look very nice as on the given station tracks I can hardly space a train with more than 3 long passenger cars and modern loco (they are getting also longer :-( ).
Last edited by krokodil on Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby Rich1853 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:04 am

From my post in layouts/track plans

https://www.nmra.org/track-curvatures-rolling-stock
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida
Rich1853

Postby Juup » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:08 am

I think this question has two answers (ignoring the switching side of things):

1. Anything less than the widest two standard Tillig track radi may be problematic for running.

2. Passenger cars look a bit silly as they navigate narrow curves. Flex track with very wide curves looks better.

My best solution ... put anything with a sharp curve, but not less than around 400mm radius or thereabouts, in a tunnel so it is not visible, or a forest, canyon or the like so it is less visible. Try to make all more visible track larger radius.

Juup
Juup

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:44 am

I understand that some trade-offs need to take place in order for the smooth operation of rolling stock in such limited areas of operation.

I will work on ideas and how to make them work in order to make my passenger cars work best for me.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby j p » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:47 am

You can try the spring solution John Harmon used for his smooth side passenger car sets.
j p

Return to General Discussion