Reassonably Priced #80 drills

Reassonably Priced #80 drills

Postby TTTerrific » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:12 pm

Just to let you know no. 80 drills (and other sizes 60-80) can be purchased in 12/vial pack for a little over $1 each drill. Type in "Gyros 45-21280" to get to sites selling these drills . These drills are available on Amazon, and--believe it or not--Home Depot. Pictured are the no. 80 holes drilled in each bottom "lobe" (showing front and back) of the crossheads for the 0-4-0 Tiny Time loco. :grin:
Attachments
crossheads.JPG
TTTerrific

Re: Reassonably Priced #80 drills

Postby areibel » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:43 pm

Great tip Pat, Thanks! I break enough of them I need to stock up.
But can I ask, what did you use for rivets to attach the crosshead to the rod? I've got some odds and ends but I don't think the ones I have are that fine. I've got some of the thin brass pins HP used but not many, I'd like to find another source.
areibel

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:43 pm

TTTerrific wrote:Just to let you know no. 80 drills (and other sizes 60-80) can be purchased in 12/vial pack for a little over $1 each drill. Type in "Gyros 45-21280" to get to sites selling these drills . These drills are available on Amazon, and--believe it or not--Home Depot. Pictured are the no. 80 holes drilled in each bottom "lobe" (showing front and back) of the crossheads for the 0-4-0 Tiny Time loco. :grin:

Thanks for the heads up!
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby TTTerrific » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:14 pm

Al, I'm still trying to work out how to hookup the various "monkey-motion" rods associated with the Walschert style valve gear system used on the docksider. I have an idea how to accomplish this, but I need to try it out first. I'll let the forum know how this turns out. I know it ain,t going to be easy.
TTTerrific

Postby krokodil » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:10 am

TTTerrific wrote:Al, I'm still trying to work out how to hookup the various "monkey-motion" rods associated with the Walschert style valve gear system used on the docksider. I have an idea how to accomplish this, but I need to try it out first. I'll let the forum know how this turns out. I know it ain,t going to be easy.

Do you know the function of each rod? ( it makes the work easier).

Here are some links fir study.

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/appliances/valvegear.php

Or a complete range of all kind of gears ( with animation and interactivity) :thumbup:

http://www.billp.org/Dockstader/ValveGear.html
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby Bernd » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:16 am

I'd be interested in the quality of those drills. I usually buy my drills from McMaster-Carr. They don't bend like the cheaper #80's I had before.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby areibel » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:47 pm

Great Links, Krokodil! Thanks!

I've been trying to figure out a better valve gear set up myself, Pat. Precision Scale has complete sets that might work, or I wondered about scrounging a complete set up off of a small HO locomotive and transplant it onto a medium or large TT one. I'm pretty lazy, so if I could get something completely assembled I'd prefer that! It looks like the old Central Valley sets that were made for the Varney Docksides would be a good choice, but they're scarce and a bit expensive. Plus I can't allow myself tp start yet another project (yet!).
areibel

Postby TTTerrific » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:27 pm

To Bernd: The drills shown on the photo seem to be on a shorter shank than similar drills sold in hobby shops, etc. The photo shows one of the #80's mounted [b]full-in[b] into an Archimedes (spiral) drill holder/driver. Not much of the shank is showing. This has reduced the "flex" of the drill a great deal making it stronger and more efficient (easier) in drilling soft wood and plastic. Sheet brass remains a problem, unless you can obtain a good (small) indent from a center punch. I do like these drills very much.

To krocodil: Thanks for the links. I checked both out. I know the nomenclature of the parts, but did get confused as to what went where between the cylinder block and the main driver. :crazy:

To Al: I bet I'm just as lazy (or more) than you regarding TT projects. But, I'm really "into" this Tiny Tim project as a run-up to actually scratch building a TT scale steamer along the lines of SP's smaller locos. I have made lots of mistakes which has slowed my progress, but I have learned a lot in the process. I think in many ways scratch building is or can be easier than "bashing" an already complete unit designed, engineered and produced by someone else. Hey, but it is FUN!
TTTerrific

Return to Builders' Corner