Random non-Cat or Dog pet Stuff

Talk about anything and everything!

Re: Random non-Cat or Dog pet Stuff

Postby Marquette » Mon May 20, 2013 2:22 am

It looks like it has fur, not feathers!

I kinda wish I could keep some chickens too, so I could eat real eggs...
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby railtwister » Mon May 20, 2013 8:55 am

Our local city prohibits barnyard animals such as chickens, geese, goats, pigs, and cows in residential zoning areas. For some reason they don't mention ducks on their list (perhaps because there are so many wild Muscovys in the local lakes and canals). I think I like duck eggs even better than chicken eggs, and the ducks are very interesting to watch, especially when they're little. I was surprised that they can have such widely different personalities. We have adopted a Muscovy drake who thinks he is a person and therefore should live inside the house. He's a real character, and very friendly!

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon May 20, 2013 12:59 pm

The house we are renting at current time is in a rural area between Carrollton, GA and Mt. Zion, GA, and most of the surrounding neighbors have farm animals of some kind, one has horses and chickens, another has chickens only, and another has donkeys.

We are looking into buying a house that is almost a mile down the road from here, and that one is surrounded by people who own goats and sheep.

We ultimately want to get some ducks as well, we are looking into getting Khaki Campbell ducks, as they lay a lot of eggs, and Ancona ducks, as they look interesting.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby railtwister » Mon May 20, 2013 6:43 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:We ultimately want to get some ducks as well, we are looking into getting Khaki Campbell ducks, as they lay a lot of eggs, and Ancona ducks, as they look interesting.

I never really paid much attention to ducks, and can't recognize most of the varieties beyond the Pekin, Mallard, Wood Duck, and Muscovys. I was never fond of Muscovys in particular, but that has changed since they started coming around to visit our house, probably because of the tiny pond in our front yard. Over the past few years, I have seen many generations of ducks come and go in the front yard, probably because I'm home during the day since I lost my job in 2004.

My interest in them escalated one Saturday afternoon this past August, when my wife pulled into our driveway to discover a tiny duckling (42 grams) that had been hatched with only one leg. How that tiny little crippled duck managed to get to our property still baffles me, because all the other ducks seem to come (most of them walk) from a lake at least half a mile North of our house, and they have to walk on residential streets and cross at least one busy intersection to get here. Frequently, they are hit by cars, and some drivers will go out of their way, crossing over into the oncoming lanes, in order to run them over. I only hope that there's a special place in hell for those people who endanger us all in order to vent their hostility on innocent creatures like ducks trying to walk across the road.

Anyway, we adopted the little one legged duck, and even got a permit from fish & game to provide for her, since she couldn't really be released into the wild, although I really don't think she knows she's handicapped. She is an adult now, although I really don't think she knows she's handicapped, and lives in a pen in our backyard along with another female named Squeeky whom we adopted as a companion from the wildlife rescue center, plus three juveniles who we found abandoned in our front yard. The Drake, aka "Wilfred" (named when we got him) also came from the rescue center, because both he and Squeeky were too friendly towards people to be able to be released by the rescue center. Wilfred has free run of our fenced-in and rather wild & weedy backyard, but he really would prefer to live in the house if he could. He's really a sweet and endearing little fellow, who comes running to great us whenever we step out the back door, with his webbed feet making a loud slapping sound on the patio. He seems particularly enjoy it if we pick him up and hold him. Who could imagine an adult duck (especially a male) that likes to be cuddled?

I never would have thought that ducks could make good pets, but I find it very relaxing and educational to just sit and watch them, and I am glad to have had the opportunity to get to know them.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Mon May 20, 2013 7:56 pm

If my wife would allow it, our house would be a zoo. But she doesn't :(
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:48 pm

ConducTTor wrote:If my wife would allow it, our house would be a zoo. But she doesn't :(

Maybe you should buy a farm or at least a few acres then...
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:52 pm

CaTTwoman281 wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:If my wife would allow it, our house would be a zoo. But she doesn't :(

But then I wouldn't have a train budget! Or a beer budget :thumbdown:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:17 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
CaTTwoman281 wrote:

That is why you get animals that are either going to make you money, or at least are zero-sum for cost.
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:53 am

CaTTwoman281 wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:
CaTTwoman281 wrote:

That is why you get animals that are either going to make you money, or at least are zero-sum for cost.

So a cow?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:02 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
CaTTwoman281 wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:
CaTTwoman281 wrote:

So a cow?

Cows tend to cost more to obtain and keep up than goats.

Which brings us to this:

Both are better leash trained than our dogs, and are already more loyal. They just need names, and we are open to suggestions. The mostly black goat is a male (soon to be fixed), and the mostly white goat is a female.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic