Railroading in Canberra, Australia

Railroading in Canberra, Australia

Postby sacto-tt » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Even though my Poland trip appears on terminal hold, I'm going to Canberra for a few days. Anything I should see there besides the ACT Railway Museum? I have all day on Monday to see stuff before work starts on Tuesday. I will, of course, take pictures and post some of them in the Photos section.
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Re: Railroading in Canberra, Australia

Postby scaro » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:23 pm

canberra used to have an oil train running to fyshwick, but i think that ceased in 2010 so the only regular train would be the xplorer railcar to sydney. fairly depressing situation, like most australian lines these days.
scaro

Postby The Fish » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:38 am

There is a Garrett being restored in the museum, it should be going together. The Australian War Memorial is definately worth a visit, Some steam locomotives there as well. Cockinton Green miniature village with a garden railway as well as ride on live steam. There is a small Railway Museum in Yass just outside Canberra. How long are you in Australia? I am Chairman of a Museum at Valley Heights 80Km west of Sydney. (http://infobluemountains.net.au/locodepot/) Let me know if you have time. About one hour and a half by train.
The Fish

Postby scaro » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:03 am

if it is not just rail related stuff you want to see, canberra does repay a bit of a wander round (by car anyway) as it is a totally planned city - by US architect walter burley griffin -and has some very interesting architecture. the australian parliament house, sequestered in a bunker under a hill with a massive flagpole atop, is worth a look and the national gallery is stuffed with good modern art. the city centre, unofficially known as 'civic', is pleasant , if not really amazing.

in addition, there are a lot of grand buildings set in gardens around lake burley griffin which was created in the 60s by flooding a river. a tour of the embassies is worthwhile, highlights include the chinese embassy which was deliberately and symbolically placed so as to be either as close or closer to parliament house than the US one.

i lived in canberra for three years and while it is the butt of jokes for its insular worldview and weirdly sterile atmosphere, it is certainly unique.
scaro

Postby sacto-tt » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:52 pm

Thanks for the additional information. I did visit Canberra for a few days while on vacation in 1998 - found it to be a nice place with a number of interesting sights. This trip is a short business one with only Sunday afternoon and Monday free. T/W/Th are work and then back on a plane on Friday. The follow on trip should be around three weeks - I'll definitely make visiting Valley Heights a priority then.
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Return to General Discussion