Railfan and Railroad Magazine

Talk about anything and everything!

Railfan and Railroad Magazine

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:11 pm

Does anyone else out there read railroad related magazines?

I have about 75% of all the issues of Trains Magazine, including all of the first volume (Nov1940-Oct1941), infact the only issues of the 1940's that we are missing are from 1942 (vol2) and 1946.

While I was at Steamtown the other week, we went over to photograph a Reading T-1 4-8-4, #2124. While I was taking photos, I struck up a conversation with someone else that was taking photos of the T-1.

"Those T-hogs were something else, weren't they?" I asked the stranger.

"Yeah". He replied.

We compared notes on the history of the Reading Railroad T-1 Class Locomotive.

I mentioned Nicholle's love of the 2101, the T-1 used for the American Freedom Train, and in the Chessie Steam Special, and our new CD with about an hour of T-1 locomotives, including the 2124 running excursions.

He then asked me if I ever read Railfan and Railroad Magazine. I told him yes, and that I had several issues with me on the trip.

He asked if I recognized him, I said that he looked familiar.

He then told me that he was Jim Boyd, one of the senior editors of Railfan and Railroad, and he was taking photos of the 2124 for an article about the T-1s for the December issue.
We compared notes on some of our favourite Railfan and Railroad articles, and I mentioned a few that he had just re-read that morning.

I got some photos with him, and Zeke, and he even autographed one of the issues that I had with!

I gave him a hat from my old ship, the USS Annapolis (SSN-760).

It is neat the people that you meet at places like that!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Railfan and Railroad Magazine

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:13 pm

By the way, the front of the sweatshirt that I was wearing says PAVE connecticut, Rhode Island Needs Parking
AstroGoat760

Postby jmass » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:05 pm

hey sailor, did jim know anything about tt scale. ive read that magazine, and also railpace newsmagazine, like them both. man you guys really hate conneticut!
jmass

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:15 pm

jmass wrote:man you guys really hate conneticut!

HAHAHAAA!!! I'm seriously considering adding a sub forum titled "Jim Hates Connecticut" :lol:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:47 pm

Yes, Mr. Boyd did have a working knowledge of TT scale, actually he was the only one that had heard of TT scale prior to me showing Zeke off. (Between me and Nicholle, we brought up TT scale to at least 100 people that day, most of the passengers in the car that we were in were "indoctrinated" about TT scale while we were waiting for the other excursion train to leave.

We started discussing TT scale with one of the people running the train, and he had his microphone thingy on, and a lot of people asked about Zeke when he was being staged for photos.

I would rather have the subsection called "Intelligent people against connecticut", or the connecticut Crater Coalition (CCC), a running joke about how to create connecticut Crater State Park, and the benefits to places like NYC, and Boston, MA of that "program".

You want to see something fun? Try my other shirts that I have made, and the signs, and the connecticut Dartboard.

Here is a good example of how people here are jerks that should exterminate themselves: on Sunday, Nicholle wanted to go out and get the new Hallmark Ornaments from the local mall (actually about 15 miles away), when she started to pull into a parking spot, a local jackass pulled into the adjacent parking spot, and then forward into the spot that we were pulling into. Nicholle had to slam the brakes down and back the car out of the spot we were pulling into to avoid being hit. We were using turnsignals, the jackass did not.
Jerkass parkjob.jpg
The red box is the jackass in the Expedition, the blue box and arrows is my Ford Focus.

When we were able to get the car parked, I told the guy "Nice Parking Job, Jackass!", pointing at the tire marks left by our Focus from our emergency application or reverse thrust. The tiremarks went down underneath where the Expedition's nose was, showing that if Nicholle had not backed the car up, we would have been hit.

The guy led his family inside, then came back out telling me that he was going to beat me up, and started shoving me, asking me to throw the first swing.
Nicholle called the cops, to which their response was that unless I was actually struck by the guy (shoving did not count), there was nothing that they would do about it, and they were not going to come out just because of someone being a loudmouth Haggis.

I now have bruises from that encounter, and the local cops are refusing to file a report.

Haggis connecticut!
AstroGoat760

Return to Off Topic