Rail Planning Software

Rail Planning Software

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:22 am

I've decided to stop being cheap with rail planning software and purchase a full solution rather than tip toeing around with demo versions. I'm looking for the program that has the most versatility so let me know what it is. Thanks in advance!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Rail Planning Software

Postby TTSMR » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:02 pm

OK, I just reactivated my account with RR-Track software. That means I can get it at a discount.

This is my favorite layout desugn software. It is a very versatile sofware thats easy to use.

Here is a screen shot showing 3 of the screens you can have up. You can pull up one at a time too.
v4main.gif
3 screen shot

All of my past TT layouts were done on this software.
(not the latest module drawings)

Fully graphical, point-and-click track laying
Very easy to learn and use.

Multiple open layout files
You can have more than one layout open at a time.
Good for making modifications to a layout with out changinging the oeiginal copy.

Easy cut and paste between layouts
You can copy areas of one layout to use in another layout.
Also good for making modifications to a layout.

Multiple layers in each layout, up to 128
This allows you to show only track, only stuctures, only terrain or any combination you like.
No matter how complicated your layout is you can work on just one layer at a time.

2-D plan view for layout design.
There is also a 3D feature that allows you to 'fly' around your layout to get an idea of what it will look lke in real life.
3d viewer.jpg
3D viewer

Automatically calculate grades and elevations
This is a nice feature that does all the grade work for you.

Draw in your own buildings or place accessories and buildings in our prebuilt libraries.
This is one of the feature that I like the best. We can draw our structures in the soft ware and add them to the layout!
Several members can draw 2 or 3 each of the Ahuagen buildings and share them. We can create our own library of strucures.
Plus those of us that collect TriAng TT-3 can draw TT-3 track and buildings too.

If everyone used the same software we can email drawings back and forth for ideas and/or help on designs.

I have to order in lots of 10 to get discounts. That means we will need 10 members to order at least the basic package.
Each member who orders the TT package will get a 10% discount plus I will donate 10% of the sale to the TT-Nut module project.
It breaks down as folllows:

RR-Track with TT scale track library = $69.00
Minus 10% discount to members = $62.10
Shipping would be $5.00 USPS Priority Mail
Total = $67.10
!0% donation to TT-Nut module project = $6.21

I can get any of the packages listed on the RR-Track web site but the best value is the 'Grand Salami' that includes ALL of the track libraries.
This is good for members that model in multiple scales. I personally use this package.

RR-Track with ALL track libraies = $159.00
Minus 10% discount to members = $143.10
Shipping would be $5.00 USPS Priority Mail
Total = $ 148.10
10% donation to TT-Nut module project = $14.30

What do you guys think? Are there 10 members that would like to join in on this?

Don
TTSMR

Postby BTTB Fan » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:23 pm

I like the price for RR-track, but I have a couple of serious reservations about completeness of their TT track libraries. According to the Pilz track library description ( http://www.rrtrack.com/html/pilz_tt.html ), only EW2 snd IBW turnouts are supported? No EW1 or EW3 or ABW? And, less importantly, but still, no 3170 (30o) crossing? There is no support for the old "standard" track, or "bedding" track, both of which, while not required for the module layout, would be handy for most TT-ers.

I would have also liked to try out some form of a demo before making a decision, but none is available.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:22 pm

One of my supervisors that have become aware of my obsession with trains has said that he would let me try his copy of X-cad to see if it has TT scale trains and track on it. He said that has worked well for him with his Lionel Fasttrack that he got for his kids.

If I get to try it, and figure it out, I will let you all know.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby TTSMR » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:12 pm

BTTB Fan wrote:I like the price for RR-track, but I have a couple of serious reservations about completeness of their TT track libraries. According to the Pilz track library description ( http://www.rrtrack.com/html/pilz_tt.html ), only EW2 snd IBW turnouts are supported? No EW1 or EW3 or ABW? And, less importantly, but still, no 3170 (30o) crossing? There is no support for the old "standard" track, or "bedding" track, both of which, while not required for the module layout, would be handy for most TT-ers.

I would have also liked to try out some form of a demo before making a decision, but none is available.

I will check to see what the status is of adding these. There is an update but I havent sen it yet.
TTSMR

Postby TTSMR » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:15 pm

What other software programs are out there?

Maybe we need to do a comparison of the different software packages.

Don
TTSMR

Postby BTTB Fan » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:23 pm

I have been trying out a borrowed version of WinTrack ( http://wintrack.de ). They have full set of TT track and catenary, and I generally like the features, but the price is quite steep, and the English version feels like an afterthought add-on to the German core (which it is). They do have a free demo, but no ability to save or print. As non-Europeans we might be able to save the VAT, and maybe get a download version and/or volume discount, if there is enough of us wanting it. It would also be nice to get help from someone German-spaking to negotiate the deal.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:52 pm

I still haven't decided on a program. I tried wintrack but there are some things that bug me about it. I can't figure out how to do some very basic things like turn on auto snap for rails or how to rotate a rail and attach it where I want. There also some things that I just find counter intuitive. Maybe my download or installation is corrupt? Not sure but I'm a software engineer and not being able to figure out how it works is really beating up my ego :evil: So, do any of you know if the full version of AnyRail allows for designing of separate modules and being able to put those modules together for a full layout? Also, is it able to handle things like grades?

Any updates on a trial version or the track libraries for RR Track?

Thanks in advance -
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:15 pm

I've decided to go with AnyRail. Will let you guys know what I think of it after I get a chance to play around a little.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:38 am

AngrySailor302 wrote:One of my supervisors that have become aware of my obsession with trains has said that he would let me try his copy of X-cad to see if it has TT scale trains and track on it. He said that has worked well for him with his Lionel Fasttrack that he got for his kids.

If I get to try it, and figure it out, I will let you all know.

Said supervisor looked hard, and cannot find TT on his track planning software. He has been by my shop quite a bit now, after I went ape over my command's holiday decoration contest. I have put up lots of lights, garland, an some model trains racing around a tree. The prize is a 4 day liberty chit, so I intend on winning....
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Next

Return to Layouts / Track Plans