Radio Control for Model Engines

Radio Control for Model Engines

Postby Bernd » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:41 pm

The 2016 National Train Show thread about using DCC and plain old DC on the show layout inspired me to put this thread together. A number of years ago I got interested in another control method that was being talked about on another forum. Since I'm not a fan of DCC I liked the idea of radio control. I modified an HO scale Atheran crane with three motors and radio control to move three items on the crane, large hook, boom and turret. This further inspired me to try out radio control for locomotives. At the time the "inventor" of the small radio control circuit boards only had 6 volt controllers available. What to do? Easy, I installed three six volts motors in three HO 2-6-0 steamers as an experiment.

Here is a picture of the 6 volt receiver and an ADD1 board. The ADD1 board allowed a higher amperage motor to be used.

Here's a size comparison to a NCE D14SR DCC decoder.

By adding a bridge rectifier, an LM7805 voltage regulator and later I added a capacitor for filtering, the engine can run on any type of track voltage supplied to it, AC, DC, or DCC voltages.

To control the engine speed and direction a model airplane transmitter is used, only $39.00.

The inventor came out later with a transmitter board so you could build your own hand held unit.

My first attempt to install it in a Radio Shack small box.

I wasn't happy with the feel of the RatShack boxes and searched the net for a better box. I came up with three sizes of the same design. The smallest makes the best unit for single hand holding and control.

This will be the control method that I will implement to run my engines. There will be a constant voltage on the tracks. Each engine can be controlled individually with this control method. The 2.4Ghz frequency used by the fly boys allows you to control 100 individual receivers. In other words you could have 100 operators each controlling their engine on the 2.4Ghx frequency. If your interested just surf over to any of the R/C airplane forums and you find a description of how this system works.

At present this experiment was put on hold when other interests caught my fancy. It will be implemented once I get some time for TT locomotive installation.

I've only scratched the surface with what I have written about in the small amount of time I had tonight to put this together from pictures stored in many different files. I'll put a full explanation together on my website when the time comes to install this application in my locomotives.

Bernd
Bernd

Re: Radio Control for Model Engines

Postby dileTTante » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:14 am

Some of us are waiting for another form of radio control -bluetooth. April issue of Model Railroader has a review of HO RS3 with bluetooth system from Bachmann. http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ez-app.php The method was discussed here last year - bluetooth-train-control-t2392.html

I'm hoping Bachmann will demonstrate this at the Indianapolis show. It will be interesting to see who gets to TT scale first, you or them.

-Terry C.
dileTTante

Postby Bernd » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:20 am

Check out this link and you'll discover that Bluetooth uses the 2.4Ghz frequency. It's just a fancy name used to sell a product. What I'm using is something the modeler can put together himself. It's not plug-n-play that you'll be paying an arm and leg for just because it has the fancy name of Bluetooth.

http://www.hp.com/rnd/library/pdf/WiFi_Bluetooth_coexistance.pdf

I have an interest in electronics down to the chip level. So for me it's easier to understand these how these things work.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby dileTTante » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:44 pm

The DelTang site, reached from the link in your photos, has a list of receivers and transmitters good even for N scale. I haven't read all their information but so far the possibilities look very attractive. Thanks for that.
http://deltang.co.uk/trains.htm

-Terry C.
dileTTante

Postby MacG » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:34 pm

Here is a plan from the German TT-Board. A really good idea for small shunters.

RC-Lok.gif
RC-Lok.gif (9.12 KiB) Viewed 2151 times

Found here: TT-Board.de
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Bernd » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:09 pm

dileTTante wrote:The DelTang site, reached from the link in your photos, has a list of receivers and transmitters good even for N scale. I haven't read all their information but so far the possibilities look very attractive. Thanks for that.
http://deltang.co.uk/trains.htm

-Terry C.

Your welcome Terry. Just more information for sharing.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:49 pm

True or false: Bluetooth® technology was named after a 10th century Danish King.

If you have an interest in knowing more about Blue Tooth this site has good information for the layman.

I like to look under the hood to see what makes a product tick. It's a curiosity thing with me. Maybe that's why I like cats.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby CN-TT » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:57 pm

Bernd wrote:I like to look under the hood to see what makes a product tick. It's a curiosity thing with me. Maybe that's why I like cats. Bernd

So, you dissect cats? :wtf: :o :lol:

I always liked the idea of this kind of remote control in modelrailroads!
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Postby Bernd » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:18 pm

CN-TT wrote:
Bernd wrote:I like to look under the hood to see what makes a product tick. It's a curiosity thing with me. Maybe that's why I like cats. Bernd

So, you dissect cats? :wtf: :o :lol:

Oui, I walked into that one. No, not really. I'm curious just like a cat. You know the old saying ?, "Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back".

I always liked the idea of this kind of remote control in modelrailroads!

I have an HO project on the back burner that will use two 9 rotor Swiss motors with battery power. They will be a set of PA2's ABA or ABBA. Not sure yet. For TT scale I'm going with power on the track and a voltage regulator and R/C receiver combination. This will allow me to run some of the very small motors that can be applied to TT scale.

Bernd
Bernd

Return to Electric / DCC