Racial segregation on the layout?

Re: Racial segregation on the layout?

Postby Marquette » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:14 pm

LVG1 wrote:There's a saying: "Political correctness is the little brother of cowardice."

In my eyes, political correctness is nothing else, but a modern form of censorship.
I'm not willing to let my freedom be limited by somethig like that.

And it exists because people are too dense to realise (or don't care - or are simply malicious) that words can hurt.

It exists to help enforce a key concept: your freedom ends where mine begins.

It's unfortunate that it has to exist, but people are a$$holes, so.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby LVG1 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:49 pm

Marquette wrote:And it exists because people are too dense to realise (or don't care - or are simply malicious) that words can hurt.

Words can hurt. That's true.
Words which hurt are usually called "impoliteness" or "insult" or "mobbing" and so on.
They have own names. They are usually not meant when "political correctness" is spoken about. And that's not what I mean, too.

When people use the term "political correctness", they usually try to forbit other people to tell unpopular opinions or uncomfortable facts or to question what mainstream wants to believe. Sometimes it's even not "politically correct" to consider also the opposite perspective of what politicians and media want you to believe.
That's what I'm talking about.
If someone feels hurt by that, they will have a sick relation to reality and/or individuality.

Every nation has unpleasant spots in it's history.
To accept them is the first step of understanding them. And you'll need to understand them if you want to learn from them and create a more pleasant future.

Marquette wrote:It exists to help enforce a key concept: your freedom ends where mine begins.

I also absolutely agree with this "key concept".
But I don't see that it could be disturbed by what usually comes under the guise of "political correctness".

So, I absolutely do not agree that "political correctness" could help enforce this "key concept".
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby Marquette » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:48 pm

You've so completely missed the point that I can't not respond. However, as my response will without question be political, I've sent it via PM. Please check your inbox.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby dileTTante » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:27 am

In my opinion it's better to confront history rather than ignore it. In the early 1990's when I began modeling in TT the only trains readily available were from Germany. Never forgetting the politics, the racism, etc., I have learned a great deal about the German culture from studying how trains were run there and what things looked like.

No matter what one chooses to model there will be something politically or socially incorrect, like smog producing coal burning locomotives, or the disfigurement of the landscape by a railway track.

Is it not also socially embarrasing to model passenger trains which have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd class carriages - a form of discrimination based on economics which reflects societies of inequality?

If you think you're safe modelling modern Amtrak, then will you choose to put Border Patrol guards at the station in Havre, Montana?

Other attached photo from our local train show is of a model showing labour protest in Canada.
Attachments
P1030907R.JPG
Havre, Montana
DSC01024R.JPG
labour protest train
dileTTante

Postby LVG1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:16 pm

@ dileTTante:

I absolutely agree.
Who knows what will be "politically incorrect" in future?
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby WillYart » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:23 am

That's a fascinating labour protest train!
WillYart

Previous

Return to General Discussion