R-40-10 Reefer

R-40-10 Reefer

Postby ConnRiver » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:32 pm

Got a question I hope someone here can shed light on.

I've begun CAD drawing an R-40-10 reefer based on the 1943 Car Builders Cyclopedia. Also on hand, since I'm curious about how the "box" style molding was done (separate ends, roof, underframe), are a couple of Intermountain HO reefer models, the R-40-10 and an R-40-23.

The vertical rivet pattern on the sides of the cars vary between the CBC drawing and the IM R-40-10 model. On the drawing, where the side panels slightly overlap one another, two rows of 35 rivets each are indicated. On the model, the left row, nearest the seam, has 41 rivets while the row four inches to the right has 23 rivets spaced out.

I'm about to go hunting for R-40-10 photos, but thought I would check here, too, should someone be a rivet counter.

Thanks,

Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

(Note: Since posting, I bit the price bullet and bought a copy of the book, Pacific Fruit Express 2nd ed.)
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Re: R-40-10 Reefer

Postby TiTan downunder » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:19 pm

Brian,

It might be worth asking this question on the steam era Yahoo group. There as some very knowledgeable people there.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby Bernd » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:32 am

PM sent.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConnRiver » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:39 am

TiTan downunder wrote:Brian, it might be worth asking this question on the steam era Yahoo group. There as some very knowledgeable people there. -Ian

Thanks much, Ian. I'm a daily reader of the STMFC digest. Knowledgeable people, boy, you know it! So far, no responses yet (I posted the same question yesterday on STMFC). I think the PFE book might be my best help.

Another anomaly, the Dreadnaught ends on the drawing and on the R-40-10 model don't match. . . .

-Brian C.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

(P.S. - Bernd, got your PM, the suggestion is helpful, thanks.)
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby Richard-B » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:55 am

ConnRiver wrote:should someone be a rivet counter.
Should someone be a rivet counter????
Was that a question?

Start counting here:
PFE-40452 R-40-10_nmra-BobCharles0628.jpg
PFE-40452 R-40-10

PFE-42463 R-40-10_nmra-BobCharles0638.jpg
PFE-42463 R-40-10

PFE-43453 R-40-10_night.jpg
PFE-43453 R-40-10
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby ctxmf74 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:52 pm

" Intermountain HO reefer models"

The O scale and HO scale guys seem fine with them so I'd be happy with a TT scale copy.....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby Richard-B » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:05 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:" Intermountain HO reefer models"
The O scale and HO scale guys seem fine with them so I'd be happy with a TT scale copy
The reviews indicate both the O and HO versions are quite good models.

The CBCyc is incorrect;
the R-40-10 rivet rows have different counts... and some places have 4 rivets, not just one or two...

For useful PFE summary information (by Dick Harley; who did the MicroScale PFE decal set...) see:
http://harley-trains.smugmug.com/PFEModels/PFE-Steel-Ice-Reefer-Models
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby ConnRiver » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:10 am

Richard-B wrote:
ctxmf74 wrote:. . . The CBCyc is incorrect; the R-40-10 rivet rows have different counts... and some places have 4 rivets, not just one or two...

For useful PFE summary information (by Dick Harley; who did the MicroScale PFE decal set...) see:
http://harley-trains.smugmug.com/PFEModels/PFE-Steel-Ice-Reefer-Models

The photos you posted reveal the rivet patterns; I see. Harley's site contains much information, thanks for pointing to it.

-Brian C.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby ctxmf74 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:11 pm

Looks like the close spaced rivets are the panel seam and the wider spaced rivets are the edge of the vertical stiffener post, and apparently there is some kind of horizontal feature running across halfway up?
Do you plan to use Archer rivets? Is this a future product or just for your layout? What about decals, are they available?
I seem to recall that Gold Coast had started a reefer project before they sold the business, anyone know the state of that project? .......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby ConnRiver » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:49 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:Looks like the close spaced rivets are the panel seam and the wider spaced rivets are the edge of the vertical stiffener post, and apparently there is some kind of horizontal feature running across halfway up?

Do you plan to use Archer rivets? Is this a future product or just for your layout? What about decals, are they available? I seem to recall that Gold Coast had started a reefer project before they sold the business, anyone know the state of that project? .......DaveB

This morning I corrected the rivet pattern, using one of the photo's Richard-B posted. I think you're right about the meaning of the rivet pattern.

Rivets are no problem here, the CNC mill does a beautiful job creating them. Without grinding a smaller tool, I can make them as small as .005" (0.6" in TT). I'm using a 3/4" 1-1 scale rivet size on the CAD drawing, looks close. If someone knows the actual size of the rivets, please let me know. When I get the Chimera SLP DLP 3D printer up and running, I'll see what it can do with rivets, among other things.

The marketplace will tell the tale, but I do hope to establish a small TT scale business. If the reefer turns out well, I'll ask Richard-B if he's interested in creating decals for them.

-Brian C.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

(If the GC owner announces an R-40-10, I'll use my project as a learning experience and hope that I can use the basics to create a different R-40-X model.)
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models