Question on Passenger equipment

Re: Question on Passenger equipment

Postby Shipsure » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:07 am

I'm not offering to do them, just brain storming on options. I appreciate the market is small, almost too small frankly, but until you have folks who get inspired to add their own disciplines and enthusiasm to the effort, the scale had no chance of progressing. If you are referring to my efforts to date, I think I am taking things pretty slowly. I used to produce 1/700 and 1/350 scale resin ship kits (Jag Collective) and we did our best to flood the market...and the market grew to the tune of $30,000 a month is gross sales. Those are numbers you never saw in that niche market. "You make it and they will come" :) Lesson learned, you want to grow a business or in this case a scale, you need bait. You need to make the scale compelling enough to attract those who may be interested in something different and bring those "lurkers", the 200 or so on this one site who are not active, out into the open with a range of products that allow them to build their dream. Yea, am I going to sell a ton of SP cabeese or a section house?...based on the response, it's a fools errand to think I'm going to make a house payment anytime in the near future...but it's about the investment and creating a draw. I have practical knowledge with this with my time at Disney, my own resin ship business during the 1990's and growing Z scale for MTL. It was a dead sector for us and on it's way out when I joined the company 13 years ago. I pushed for two things...Good track system and affordable well modeled motive power. You make something folks can afford to pull all those pretty cars and some track to pull them on and they will beat a path to your door. We doubled sales every year until 2008 when the market crashed. Same thing needs to happen with TT domestically.

Joe.
Shipsure

Postby Arseny » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:17 am

As for me, I would like to get some heavyweight passenger cars. I like them.
I tried to buy some on Ebay several times, but failed. :cry:

Motive power? I think we can use SW1200 for local passenger trains. If so, we'll get something like this scene:

5-1.jpg

It is EMD NW3, not SW1200 or SW900, but I suppose SW1200 were also used in passenger service sometimes.

I've got this photo from "Modeling the '50s: The Glory Years of Rail (Model Railroader)" book by Kalmbach.
http://books.google.ru/books?id=z9-pB3n ... edir_esc=y

And of course we can use ALCO FA, EMD F3 or GP7, why not?
Arseny

Postby j p » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:17 pm

Shipsure wrote:I'm not offering to do them, just brain storming on options. I appreciate the market is small, almost too small frankly, but until you have folks who get inspired to add their own disciplines and enthusiasm to the effort, the scale had no chance of progressing. If you are referring to my efforts to date, I think I am taking things pretty slowly. I used to produce 1/700 and 1/350 scale resin ship kits (Jag Collective) and we did our best to flood the market...and the market grew to the tune of $30,000 a month is gross sales. Those are numbers you never saw in that niche market. "You make it and they will come" :) Lesson learned, you want to grow a business or in this case a scale, you need bait. You need to make the scale compelling enough to attract those who may be interested in something different and bring those "lurkers", the 200 or so on this one site who are not active, out into the open with a range of products that allow them to build their dream. Yea, am I going to sell a ton of SP cabeese or a section house?...based on the response, it's a fools errand to think I'm going to make a house payment anytime in the near future...but it's about the investment and creating a draw. I have practical knowledge with this with my time at Disney, my own resin ship business during the 1990's and growing Z scale for MTL. It was a dead sector for us and on it's way out when I joined the company 13 years ago. I pushed for two things...Good track system and affordable well modeled motive power. You make something folks can afford to pull all those pretty cars and some track to pull them on and they will beat a path to your door. We doubled sales every year until 2008 when the market crashed. Same thing needs to happen with TT domestically.

Joe.

It was not meant negative. I appreciate your enthusiasm.
Do you plan to make more types of cabeese? I need Pennsy :)
j p

Postby Shipsure » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:23 pm

I know you weren't being negative and I apologize if I came across a bit stern :P And yes, I plan on doing a number of different cabeese..if you have a specific proto, let me know.

Cheers
Joe
Shipsure

Postby Rob M » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:25 pm

"Only thing would be trucks and roofs and underframes... I wonder if Rob M would consider doing floor and roof and end and truck sets one could use with these...?"

Personally I would prefer to do the complete cars. The sides are relatively easy to do and I just recently made a vacuum hold-down pump for machining them. The vacuum will help to get a better surface by not letting the thin styrene bow up towards the middle of the part. The spring loaded thingy is a vacuum pressure regulator to help ensure the pressure remains the same as material is removed and the holdown holes beneath the part are exposed.

In the baggage car side below there are real flutes as Al mentioned as well as 5 different heights for the machining to give it a more realistic look than can be acheived with brass etching.

And, by doing the complete car we will be keeping the money within the TT family to help with developing new items such as this :dance:
Rob M

Postby areibel » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:48 pm

Beautiful work Rob!
On the car side, is that paint? I was looking at trying to use some of that All Metal foil, but that looks great.
Al
areibel

Postby Rob M » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:03 pm

I used some Krylon "Nickel Satin" on that side, followed by a clear coat after decaling. It has a slight gold/yellow tint that I don't really like but it goes on great. And dries really fast. I need to try their "Dull Aluminum" and see if that looks better.

On a Lionel ATSF chassis I used some Rust-oleum "7715 Aluminum" which matches great but takes two days to dry :doh:
Rob M

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:39 pm

Rob, Some folks in the larger scales swear by AllClad paint for these cars. Should be available in most general application hobby shops.
Tom Dempsey

Postby Marquette » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:43 pm

Okay that E unit has me very curious!

I've seen Alclad used on airplane models to superb effect... but as I understand it it is only suitable for airbrushing and can be a little fussy... but if you've got an airbrush you can get excellent results with it, yes.

Also, Rob M, please stand by for a PM...
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby areibel » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:14 pm

I was wrong on the name, it's Bare Metal foil- http://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.html

I've seen it on a couple display models and it looks great. A little tricky to use (so I'm told) but the results look fantastic.
areibel

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models