PVM Alco FA and FB kit information

Re: PVM Alco FA and FB kit information

Postby emckay7067 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks to those folks who have expressed an interest in the Alco FA and FB shell kits. I am now taking advance reservations for them, and I noticed a few of you have spoken for some.

The best way for me to keep track of how many and what units that you want is for you to send me an email. Please use the subject of "Alco TT Shell Reservation Request" or something similar. In your email, please tell me how many of each unit you want. There is no deposit required. Send it to me at "emckay70@member.afa.org" I will reply to you by email confirming your reservation. Please note that the advanced reservation for these kits is not binding, and you may back out at any time.

When the kits are ready, those folks who have reserved them by email will be notified first.

Thank you all for your interest,
Elmer.
emckay7067

Postby Arseny » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:44 pm

emckay7067 wrote:
Arseny wrote:Hm-m, I am not sure I'll be able to build my own chassis by myself... :(
Maybe it would be able to use some ready chassis? Such as PVM's chassis for Lionel's F3 or GP7...

I guess a little clarification is in order.
A CHASSIS is just a flat plate that is used for mounting the power components on. (Power components = Trucks, motor, etc.) It must be cut so that it fits on or in the shell of the locomotive.
A POWER UNIT is the components that make the model run down the track, and may or may not include the chassis. (Trucks, motor, wiring, etc.) A power unit is usually a package that contains all the parts required to make a locomotive run.

In my opinion, the Hollywood Foundry would be an excellent drive kit to use. They are custom made to order and the ordering information for these drives will be included in the instructions. You could also make up your own drive if you had a source for all of the parts.

I mean "Power Unit" including "Chassis" of course. :)
Arseny

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:18 pm

If I end up doing one (good chance of that since I'll need it), it will be chassis/trucks/motor/transmission/wheels. As in - put the shell on top of it and put it on the rails.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:05 am

for those who haven't got a kemtron FA shell, it is very nicely done.
scaro

Postby railtwister » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:05 am

I seem to recall hearing that the Kemtron shell was made taller than scale in order to accommodate the available motors (Lindsay?) of their time. Can anyone who has one confirm this by measuring the body with a scale rule? Also, is the Kemtron FA an FA1 or FA2? As I recall, the FA1's had the radiator grilles located at the end of their carbody, while the FA2's had the radiators set forward from the end by a few feet. I believe the FA2 may have also been a bit longer than an FA1 as well, because I think the difference in apparent grille location was caused by addition of a steam generator, which required a longer body (in a similar situation to the EMD F/FP units).

Bill in FL
railtwister

Postby Zs12 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:14 am

I hope everything will be correct for an FA-2. In this case I'm in with two kits. :smile:
Zs12

Postby scaro » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:58 pm

Given the placement of the radiator grilles, I would say it's an FA1.

I imagine that the Kemtron may be too tall by the order of 6". Possibly over width by the same amount. In terms of measurements, I am working off a 'casting of a casting' most likely - so that should be factored in. There is no guarantee that mine is a perfect casting - and I am no expert on Alco FAs.

Ben
scaro

Postby emckay7067 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:58 am

The price of the FA and FB shell kits has now been determined.
Single kit, either FA or FB -- $14.49
Double kit, FA & FB -- $26.89

The first run of 8 pair (FA & FB) is finished and kitted up. I will be making notifications to individuals shortly. The next casting run of kits will start soon, and I expect to fill all advance reservations before winter.
Elmer.
emckay7067

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:02 am

Woohoo!
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:14 pm

Great news! :clap:

...but I am still interesting in power unit... :problem:
If Hollywood Foundry - which model? Do I need 1*"Standard 2 Axle BullAnt" + 1*"Dummy 2 Axle BullAnt" or some else? Which motor is the best?..

Or, ConducTTor, did you finished your one?..
Arseny

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models