Pushing (locomotive in back) a model train

Pushing (locomotive in back) a model train

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:38 am

Does anyone have experience with the loco being at the BACK of a train? The reason I'm asking is that I currently have 3 passenger wagons with driving cabs and would like to be able to use them in push operations. One will be part of 6 car Intercity set and I'm wondering what issues may come up when the set is pushed instead of pulled. Turn radius is obviously the big one (switches no so much because of the much lower speeds) so I'd like to know what a safe radius is for smooth operation (no derailing).
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
User avatar
ConducTTor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8585
Images: 13
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 4:52 pm
Location: Atlanta GA USA

Re: Pushing (locomotive in back) a model train

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:17 am

ConducTTor wrote:Does anyone have experience with the loco being at the BACK of a train? The reason I'm asking is that I currently have 3 passenger wagons with driving cabs and would like to be able to use them in push operations. One will be part of 6 car Intercity set and I'm wondering what issues may come up when the set is pushed instead of pulled. Turn radius is obviously the big one (switches no so much because of the much lower speeds) so I'd like to know what a safe radius is for smooth operation (no derailing).


Due to the lighter weight of the passenger cars, one must make sure that the cars are adequately weighted and balanced, and the trucks and couplers work properly.

I have no experience with the newer Tillig couplers, but the BTTB hoop couplers do not care for being run in reverse at much more than creeping speed.

Making sure that the cars are free rolling is a must, it is essential that the driving cab and the cars closest to it are well maintained and are non-binding.

I can't say that I have tried 6 cars in push mode, but I do have a 4 unit inter city express set in HO that is from the 1970's that works fairly well in push mode (as long as cats/rats do not get in the way).

Good luck.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
User avatar
AstroGoat760
 
Posts: 3821
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Bemidji, Minnesota, USA

Re: Pushing (locomotive in back) a model train

Postby The Fish » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:03 am

G'day all, I did have and exhibition layout about 12 ft long and some 1 in 30 and 1 in 60 grades I ran a 4 car double decker set as a push me pull you. Generally I only had occasional problems with it uncoupling on the down grade when pushing. I had GEM nickle silver track (not available now) and about 2ft 6in radii
regards
Ted
The Fish
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: Pushing (locomotive in back) a model train

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:01 pm

The Fish wrote:G'day all, I did have and exhibition layout about 12 ft long and some 1 in 30 and 1 in 60 grades I ran a 4 car double decker set as a push me pull you. Generally I only had occasional problems with it uncoupling on the down grade..................about 2ft 6in radii


That's making me feel better as the area I'm most concerned about will be 2ft 8in radius and 3.5% grade.

Thanks!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
User avatar
ConducTTor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8585
Images: 13
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 4:52 pm
Location: Atlanta GA USA

Re: Pushing (locomotive in back) a model train

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:33 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
The Fish wrote:G'day all, I did have and exhibition layout about 12 ft long and some 1 in 30 and 1 in 60 grades I ran a 4 car double decker set as a push me pull you. Generally I only had occasional problems with it uncoupling on the down grade..................about 2ft 6in radii


That's making me feel better as the area I'm most concerned about will be 2ft 8in radius and 3.5% grade.

Thanks!


Crap, I'm stupid - 2ft 8inches is my diameter not radius. Ok, im concerned again.....
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
User avatar
ConducTTor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8585
Images: 13
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 4:52 pm
Location: Atlanta GA USA

Re: Pushing (locomotive in back) a model train

Postby Dibbedabb » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:43 pm

Hey ConducTTor,

you shouldn't get trouble with a pushed train. If you use the new Tillig-Coupler and/or rigid couplers 08827 or 08828 everything should work. The driving cab cars are - due to head lights - a little heavier than regular cars, so they won't "take off" so easily. We checked a four car pushed train on a 310mm radius (12.2 in) with a very steep grade. I don't know a number, but would guess at least 6%.
User avatar
Dibbedabb
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Cologne / Germany

Re: Pushing (locomotive in back) a model train

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:47 pm

I have a feeling it won't be too much of an issue (I've already come to the conclusion that rigid couplers should help). I guess I'll find out when I get to that point....

Good to hear that you didn't have problems in your scenario!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
User avatar
ConducTTor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8585
Images: 13
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 4:52 pm
Location: Atlanta GA USA


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests