Postby ConducTTor » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:29 pm

Wow that set is gorgeous.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Pullman Standard Passenger cars

Postby scaro » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:47 am

The Brasstains listing makes a good point, that although this was one trainset, on the real train, the cars came from three builders, Budd, ACF and P-S. A lot of time the HO scale manufacturers used to change the details of cars so the fluting etc all lines up, because it looked prettier, even though it meant a number of the cars were no longer accurate.

They go into this on the passcarlist on Yahoo.

I'd imagine sticking to the details of the Challenger set may be a good idea here as I think it is accurate.

Though apparently this actual model, despite the hefty price tag, had big problems with trucks and there are a lot of gripes about this on the forums. Maybe the TT one will run better!
scaro

Postby Rob M » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:34 am

Maybe the TT one will run better!

Yes indeed! :thumbup:

I'd imagine sticking to the details of the Challenger set may be a good idea here as I think it is accurate.

Yep, even if I had accurate drawings to go from there would still be some inaccuracies due to limitations of the manufacturing process. But, either way it should/will be an impressive set.
Rob M

Postby scaro » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:20 pm

one thing I've found; jerry la boda commented that ATSF cars were fairly well unique, though Amtrak and AutoTrain inherited the 4-4-2 sleepers.

the 'Pine' sleepers were similar to the 'Pacific' sleepers on the UP, absent some upper side corrugations on the UP cars and other changes to skirting.

an issue I found however was that it was hard to find any car design that was exactly the same on more than 2-3 railroads.

as to the most 'generic' ATSF car, jerry says

I hate to say it but the only car that the Santa Fe had that was identical or nearly so to some other roads cars were the Valley-series PS 6 Section - 6 Roomette - 4 Double Bedroom sleepers, which were built to the same floorplan as cars for the UP, SP and Rock Island.

i could ask for the plan if need be.
scaro

Postby gerhard_k » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:11 pm

I could justify at most a 6-car train, and since I'm not a prototype fanatic, that would be RPO, baggage, diner, obs, and so just 2 sleepers, one could be the "ubiquitous" 6-6-4. IIRC, the SP never had any regular dome cars, so I won't need one (I thought he said he wasn't a prototype fanatic, doesn't everybody want a dome car?) :roll:
How long do we have to be patient?
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby scaro » Sat May 03, 2014 3:56 am

the thing with ATSF dome cars, I think they were called 'pleasuredomes' was that they were unique, quite unlike the versions used on the California Zephyr, for example. i'm no Santa Fe expert, and I used to dismiss them because just about every train set i'd see as a boy had an ATSF F7 in warbonnet red/silver, so you got a bit sick of them, but they certainly were an interesting RR and with a lot of unusual equipment. BX12 boxcars, anyone?

dome cars seem to have been a bit of a gimmick, with many RRs getting rid of them and a few buying them to see if they might attract a few riders. the southern inherited a couple of ex-Wabash ex-N&W ones this way, via the Central of Georgia, for the Nancy Hanks, and even in the 70s, one used to turn up on the diminutive two or three car left-over 'Rockets' to Peoria and the Quad Cities, possibly a leased car for charters. as far as I know, neither route had a lot of amazing scenery.

i'm v. interested in post-Amtrak independent survivor passenger operations. a few roads stayed out of Amtrak deliberately, the rock island because they were too poor to join, others for reputational reasons, eg, southern. and others like the reading had passenger operations that were classed as 'commuter' rather than long distance intercity. CNJ fell into this category and they picked up a huge number of cars post 1971 to modernise their commuter operations, which received state subsidies. this included whole trains of ex-GN Empire Builder equipment ... the famous 'Jersey Builders.'

the Georgia Road had 'mixed' operation till 1983, with coaches on the end of 150 car freight trains, or passenger accommodation in cabooses, in order to comply with the terms of a charter and ensure a generous state tax break was not vulnerable to challenge.
scaro

Postby Rob M » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Got the baggage and RPO cars done, well almost. The RPO needs the center skirt adjusted, didn't notice it until I put the trucks on :doh:

I have them designed so the bottom is screwed on to allow for putting in the window glazing after painting. For the windows I think I will try some of the .010" Lexan from Clover House. Has anyone worked with this stuff?
Rob M

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:50 am

I like :thumbup:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Rob M » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:14 pm

The Lexan window sheet showed up today and I think it looks great. You can see the reflection in the photo. Looks much better in person.

Rob M

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:48 pm

Not bad! If you did a full set of...5 to 8 cars, I'd buy it.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models