PRR Modelling in TT.

PRR Modelling in TT.

Postby Alwyn Cutmore » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:01 am

For those who do not know me I live in Australia where I model PRR, NSW and Qld in HO Scale, NSW and PRR in N Scale and I am now looking at a small layout in PRR in TT. Having manufacturing model railways for about 40 years and looking to retire I am looking to keep myself busy with something unique like TT for some time. I propose to start my first car this weekend which will be something simple like a F22/23 Flat Car. The way I see it if I make a good pattern then I can do a cast of 100s. A friend of mine has done a drawing of the trucks so they are not a problem so I will make the to accept Kadee HOn30 couplers. The only other TT modeller I know out this way is Ian Alce who I have known for years.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Alwyn Cutmore

Re: PRR Modelling in TT.

Postby krokodil » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:06 am

Hi Alwyn

I am happy if somebody starts such activities. I will also pruchase at least one TT locomotive from you, just to remember my active life in US. I have a H0 logging layout of US prototype, but nithing in TT, while my recent layout is a TT. It will be special event when the US train will appear on my G&DTT layout.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby Alwyn Cutmore » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:14 am

Hi Krokodil,
When the in law mother was alive she lived in Garmish Parternkirken in the Bavarian Alp region of Germany about 60 km from Austria. I never got to Austria but I did get to see a few Austrian Locos running through the area. If you are interested in my model railway manufacturing business have a look at http://www.arkits.com. It is slowly on the wind down until it is sold but I will continue with my modelling and making things. I would be interested to see some photos of your layout. I really do not worry too much about what people model just so long as they get enjoyment from it. With Rapid Prototyping and the quality of the patterns that can be made there is no reason now why any modelling cannot be achieved.
Keep safe and well.
Regards
Al
Alwyn Cutmore

Postby krokodil » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:49 am

Hi Alwyn

Here is the link about my recent layout under construction. The trains are running already, but the scenery is done just about 1/3rd.

Here is the link: https://www.ttnut.com/gandtt-t1813.html

The pictures of my logging railroad are not available on web. ( my WEB page has been discontinued due to the provider, and since that time I did not renewed it.)
Maybe I will put some pictures somewhere from my logging layout.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby Arseny » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:15 pm

Hello, Alwyn.

I would like to purchase any new TT scale model of the American prototype of the "transition" era (1930s-1950s).
I am not a PRR fan, but I like American railroad and auto stuff of that era.

Welcome aboard!
Arseny

Postby Richard-B » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:24 pm

Alwyn wrote: Having manufacturing model railways for about 40 years and looking to retire I am looking to keep myself busy with something unique like TT for some time. I propose to start my first car this weekend which will be something simple like a F22/23 Flat Car. The way I see it if I make a good pattern then I can do a cast of 100s. A friend of mine has done a drawing of the trucks so they are not a problem so I will make the to accept Kadee HOn30 couplers. The only other TT modeller I know out this way is Ian Alce who I have known for years.
Many of us know Ian by way of his excellent TT-scale trucks, AAR 2-bay hoppers, as well as resin kits.

There is an old saying: "Every modeler is a Pennsy Modeler..." since PRR cars are seen literally everywhere!

I think F22/23 is a great idea...
also the G22 riveted gondola, and the unique R7 reefer...
Those are just top of the heap...!

I hope you are aware that the undecorated Joma/Kemtron brass caboose imported in the 1960's is based on an N8...
PRR-478120 N8a_CircleKey_Joma.png
Joma PRR N8
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Alwyn Cutmore » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:20 pm

Hi Richard B,
I have known Ian for a long time, ever since he had a shop in the Sydney area but was not aware of his full involvement in TT until I spoke to him recently. I was not aware of the Joma/Kemtron N8 Cabin Car until you just mentioned it. It looks to have most of the attributes of a N8.

I considered the F22 to be a good start as it is fairly simple and with only a change to the floor the F23 can also be made. The next as a follow on could be the FM flat as it has a number of variations as well.

For small run manufacture I like to use a range of composites like, urethane, brass, etches, white metal and if need be plastics and wood, To start with the F22 will be all urethane with correct white metal trucks.

As I get closer to the event I will list a set of photos as the patterns evolve.

Regards

Al
Alwyn Cutmore

Postby Richard-B » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:37 pm

Alwyn wrote: I was not aware of the Joma/Kemtron N8 Cabin Car until you just mentioned it. It looks to have most of the attributes of a N8.
Dimensions on the N8 are 'close'... biggest discrepancy is slightly small window size.
I considered the F22 to be a good start as it is fairly simple and with only a change to the floor the F23 can also be made. The next as a follow on could be the FM flat as it has a number of variations as well.
...and of course, there are always the famous battleship gun loads!!!
For small run manufacture I like to use a range of composites like, urethane, brass, etches, white metal and if need be plastics and wood, To start with the F22 will be all urethane with correct white metal trucks.
I wholeheartedly agree with this approach... Looking forward to progress!
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Alwyn Cutmore » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:12 am

I suppose a good early run Cabin Car would be the N4 as there was only the one of them. However, they can be painted in Wagon Red or Tuscan, Grey or Yellow. Depending on the period.

.and of course, there are always the famous battleship gun loads!!!

I am not much into quirky models. That I suppose would be an easy project to do as an add on. It is unfortunate that the one I saw in N Scale had a big droop in the barrel.

I an going to try a HO Scale HON3.5 loco in Urethane as the major body part. That way it will reduced the production costs dramatically. Also the tender can be done as a one piece body with white metal trucks and brass/white metal detail parts. The main drive I always maintain is to keep spares available. Most models to-day is a one off show as far as spares are concerned.

Regards

Al
Alwyn Cutmore

Postby Alwyn Cutmore » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:36 am

Hi Richard,
I maybe a little quirky myself as I will only model between 12 Jan 1948 and 12 Jan 1954. That is from the day I was born until I turned 4. I reckon that four years of history is enough to poke into a layout. It is not so much the train but all the lineside that needs to be considered. There needs to be a lot of crates, cans, drums and other things that need doing.
Regards
Al
Alwyn Cutmore

Return to Miscellaneous American TT Scale Models