PRR H43-B hoppers

PRR H43-B hoppers

Postby scaro » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:00 am

I am wondering if we have anything in TT that is like these hoppers?

http://prr.railfan.net/freight/freightp ... g&fr=clH43

Main reason is I have developed a bit of an interest in the Texas Mexican Railway who owned a few secondhand ones, that seem to have been in fairly poor condition.

Ben
scaro

Re: PRR H43-B hoppers

Postby Marquette » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:43 am

It's a triple so I'm like, 85% sure that no there isn't.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby areibel » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:01 am

I think Marquette is right, the only triple that's close is the 14 panel from Bone Valley on Shapeways.
areibel

Postby scaro » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:23 am

thanks guys.
scaro

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:24 pm

"the 14 panel from Bone Valley on Shapeways."

Looks like it would make a decnt stand in for the pennsy car, right number of bays and the ribs look about the same?....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby j p » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:08 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:"the 14 panel from Bone Valley on Shapeways."

Looks like it would make a decnt stand in for the pennsy car, right number of bays and the ribs look about the same?....DaveB

No, it would not. You'd have to make new sides for it. The distance between the ribs on the Bone Valley car is contant. That is not a H43B hopper.
j p

Postby scaro » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:50 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:"the 14 panel from Bone Valley on Shapeways."

The 14 panel car was a popular design and used by many RRs. I believe the design was pioneered by the Pennsy's rival, the NYC.

It may make a reasonable stand-in for the 15 panel car which was very similar, but the 12 panel Pennsy car looks too different. The width of the panels is quite noticeable and the 14 panel car is not a good substitute for it.

B.
scaro

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:21 am

"No, it would not. You'd have to make new sides for it. " The distance between the ribs on the Bone Valley car is contant. That is not a H43B hopper."

Haha, You'd have to make new sides for it, I'd use it as is cause I didn't count the ribs I just looked at the car and imagined it in Pennsy paint and it looked better than nothing to me :>) I'll probably order one to go along with my Sazmodel Pennsy switcher. A big part of the attraction of TT scale for me is the lack of exact models and the search or wait for them, it's kinda refreshing to broadly view a hopper as a hopper and not a narrowly classified specific hopper ......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby j p » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:01 am

ctxmf74 wrote:"No, it would not. You'd have to make new sides for it. " The distance between the ribs on the Bone Valley car is contant. That is not a H43B hopper."

Haha, You'd have to make new sides for it, I'd use it as is cause I didn't count the ribs I just looked at the car and imagined it in Pennsy paint and it looked better than nothing to me :>) I'll probably order one to go along with my Sazmodel Pennsy switcher. A big part of the attraction of TT scale for me is the lack of exact models and the search or wait for them, it's kinda refreshing to broadly view a hopper as a hopper and not a narrowly classified specific hopper ......DaveB

If you want to order one then why not to make a correct model out of it? Other railroads' hoppers were used on Pennsy too.
j p

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:36 am

"If you want to order one then why not to make a correct model out of it? Other railroads' hoppers were used on Pennsy too."

I doubt that i'd enjoy it any more if I corrected the errors than I would if I just built it as is. I have a N&W hopper and I just thought a Pennsy hopper would look neat to go along with it. I'm thinking the seafood plant on my layout might be a coal powered operation as it looks like similar ones had a tall smokestack? I should probably get a two bay car also to make it a three hopper rotation. I'd also like a couple of open hoppers to help my TTnut covered hopper serve a redimix cement and sand and gravel yard, maybe some of those aggregate cars would look nice? ......DaveB
ctxmf74

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models