Proto 120

Re: Proto 120

Postby scaro » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:51 pm

I wonder if the guy just found it all too difficult. We're talking about a scale where you have to make just about everything so it wouldn't surprise me.

I think I may have stumbled across the guy Marquette mentions who is doing some work in 'P120' because he was on the Proto87 Yahoo forum talking about running FS160 wheels (same as 2mm Association standards) on P120 track.

That's an intriguing finescale option, to me at least, because the 2mm Association do make the correct (33") wheel for most US outline wagons, that is 7mm wheels. Need regauging, but anyway, it does open the potential for a real finescale option, provided you join the 2mm Association. For me the cost would stack up cheaper than NWSL. 2mm finescale is a thinner wheel profile than P87, but a slightly deeper flange.
scaro

Postby Marquette » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:00 pm

Yes, Ben, you did. He mentioned your name earlier today and I got a giggle out of it... but yeah.

I have another friend locally who actually *will* be doing TT and he fully intends to go with P:120. That's something I've been interested in doing for some years now but not on my own. With a friend right here locally who will also go that route, my decision is easy since I do not want to have to use NEM standards unless absolutely necessary, I think they just look awful.

But anything besides NEM standards will require hand-laid track. If I didn't have anyone else locally getting into P:120 I would probably go with my original finescale idea of laying track to P:87 standards and using P:87 wheels, since NWSL does have HOn3 wheels available that translate to 33" and 36" in TT which has your freight and pax equipment covered, and some wheels that are close for diesels. This FS:160 idea would be another viable option I guess if I was doing this alone. Reason I can't do this alone is because of wheels... P:120 wheels will be either a special order or a special project.

But in any event I'm going to cut my rambling off there and say tl;dr I will be going to go with P:120. I won't have anything to show in the very short term but *hopefully* something initial by the time the November show comes around. Hopefully I will have a gauge for P:120/Code 55 soon so I can start some experimentation soon.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:05 am

If you want to go P120, then code 40 would be more likely and would work well with P120 wheels. I talked to Linda at NWSL last week about a bulk order of the code 72 HOn3 wheels. Then I could finish them and place them into resin truck frames but they're unwilling to give any sort of discount no matter how many wheels you want to order. Personally, I'd prefer to go Proto and would be willing to go in with a group for getting wheels made if the price can get somewhere south of 50 cents per unit.
Tom Dempsey

Postby Marquette » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:40 am

I just finished making a post on rail!

Code 40 works out to be 75 lb rail in TT - okay for a light branch line, or for sidings on a mainline, but too small otherwise for most lines.

Code 55 works out to be 115 lb rail in TT - great for most mainline track.

Code 60 works out to be 140 lb rail in TT - which is good for very heavy mainline, and a bit undersized for the 155 lb rail the Pennsy used in parts of the New York - Pittsburgh line.

I'm going to be looking into getting in touch with P:87 guys and N Finescale guys to see about getting some Code 47 made - that would be useful for all of us in all three scales, in TT it being 90 lb rail which was used *aaaaalll* over the place.

Even if that doesn't happen, I'll use mostly code 55, with code 40 in sidings and maybe yard areas, and code 60 (or maybe code 70) to do the two tracks of the Pennsy mainline. But we'll see yet. Whatever rail I use, I will do all I can to get P:120 wheels happening... even if they just end up getting turned here for me and my friend (read: he turns them himself for the two of us).
Marquette

Postby scaro » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:54 am

If P120 loco wheels can be turned, for various axle diameters (we'd need them given the varying chassis to be modified) then that would be handy. The 2mm Association is a good source for the wagon wheels, for me, but perhaps, with exchange rates, not for those in North America. I do not know if the SW1200 could have new wheels substituted.
scaro

Postby Marquette » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:47 am

If P:120 freight car wheels can be turned, why couldn't loco wheels be turned as well?

My undec SW came with a spare wheelset, it does look like the wheels could be pulled off and replaced.
Marquette

Postby scaro » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi Bernd

Thank you. Unusual. In TT I have seen 1.5mm, 2mm and 2.38mm or 3/32". That means finescaling the SW will be a bespoke job. If they do more locos, I hope they consider a more common diameter that could be replaced with NWSL wheels. I think if TT has a future as a US scale it won't be one that rolls along on NEM wheels.

One of the things the 2mm Association offer is this: http://www.2mm.org.uk/small_suppliers/w ... ervice.htm

If folk want to go finescale, they may consider joining. The $52 (£31) would pay for itself pretty fast.

Ben
scaro

Postby j p » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:11 pm

scaro wrote:Hi Bernd

Thank you. Unusual. In TT I have seen 1.5mm, 2mm and 2.38mm or 3/32". That means finescaling the SW will be a bespoke job. If they do more locos, I hope they consider a more common diameter that could be replaced with NWSL wheels. I think if TT has a future as a US scale it won't be one that rolls along on NEM wheels.

One of the things the 2mm Association offer is this: http://www.2mm.org.uk/small_suppliers/w ... ervice.htm

If folk want to go finescale, they may consider joining. The $52 (£31) would pay for itself pretty fast.

Ben

Hi Ben
I disagree with your use of "NEM wheels" term.
Have you read the NEM standard? The fact that the most manufactures make their wheels with largest acceptable flanges according to NEM in order to be suitable for toy train use does not mean that the NEM standard itself is bad.
I'd not expect any change in SW1200 drive, he is using the same drive components for his EU models. A finer wheel profile would be possible though.
Jan
j p

Previous

Return to General Discussion