proposed Artic Railway project

Talk about anything and everything!

proposed Artic Railway project

Postby anotherTTnut » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:06 pm

found this a couple weeks ago in the news paper and as always was amazed about the engineering involved....funny how the high development cost & enviromental concerns are no issue if the operation makes enough money :-)... still kinde cool
20110608125425400.pdf
(626.69 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
anotherTTnut

Re: proposed Artic Railway project

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:39 pm

All about the $$$$$$$

Cool project.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:29 pm

Arseny

Postby areibel » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:50 pm

That would be cool! Everyone meet at my house, we could all pile in my mini van and go visit Arseny!
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:50 pm

I'm 100% down for that!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:29 am

areibel wrote:

That would be cool! Everyone meet at my house, we could all pile in my mini van and go visit Arseny!

Al, you are at the RAILWAY forum, and it will be railway tunnel! :)
You must take a coach instead of mini van. :)

BTW, are you sure you are ready to travel by car all across the Siberia? The "Moscow-Vladivostok" train goes to Vladivostok for 7 days :shock: , and Chukotka is more far from Moscow or Saint-Petersburg than Vladivostok... :)
So you must take a sleeper and sleep a little... :lol:
Arseny

Postby areibel » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:27 pm

That's OK, a train would work for me too! It would probably be better, I tried to get directions from Google Maps to see how far it was from my house to Seward, Alaska (first part of the trip)- It couldn't calculate it! I guess you can't get there form here?
We did take a trip on Amtrak back in 1990, from here to Las Vegas, then through Los Angeles to Dallas and then back up through St. Louis to Chicago and home. Two weeks of vacation, eight days on the train in a coach seat (no sleeper- too expensive!). I loved it! Always late, sometimes not the greatest places for stations but some of the best and friendliest people working on the trains that I've ever met. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
I'd love to visit Russia someday, for more than the trains. My other interest is space travel, and I'd like to learn more about the Soviet sapce program. I've read a little about it in some books about the US program, but I'd really like to see the other side.
areibel

Postby Arseny » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:18 am

As for me, I measured the distance between my house and Bering Strait - it is approx. 10 000 km (approx.6200 miles).
And, BTW, the road from the Yakutsk to the Chukotka is not built yet (it is approx.3000 km) !

If you decide to visit Russia, you are welcome! I'll try to help you anywhere.

The Soviet/Russian space program is of course very interesting.
The first sputnik in 1957, Laika, Belka and Strelka dogs space flights, Gagarin's first space flight, Leonov's first walk in the open space, Vostok, Voskhod and Soyuz spacecrafts (Soyuz modifications are in use until today, for transport men and freight to the International Space Station, and it is the only transport for human now, when the Shuttles are retired!), Salyut and Mir space stations, automatic space missions "Luna", "Venera" and "Mars", Lunokhod missions, and Buran end Energia too... And also inglorious N-1 space rocket and Lunar program...
It's all very interesting and I am sure the Soviet version represents another point of view than American... ;)
Arseny

Return to Off Topic