h.p. products 0-6-0

h.p. products 0-6-0

Postby yeti » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:24 am

hi everyone i have this posted up on ebay and didn't want anyone to miss out. i'm not on here much so any questions would probably get a faster response on ebay, but i will try to check back here often.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Rare-Vint ... SwkFZcJWMk
yeti

Re: h.p. products 0-6-0

Postby Robert B » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:27 am

Is it my imagination or was the diecast engines from H.P. Products below average from the detail of other manufacturers of that era?
Robert B

Postby tomvanhoy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:08 pm

I think they were intentionally simple and generic so they could be detailed as the owners wished. Probably not much different from regular HO stuff, but not upgraded thru the years of production either.
tomvanhoy

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:36 pm

tomvanhoy wrote:I think they were intentionally simple and generic so they could be detailed as the owners wished. Probably not much different from regular HO stuff, but not upgraded thru the years of production either.

I tend to agree with you on that. Many model train kits of the era were designed with the builder's tastes in mind, as well as cost effectiveness.

That said, I LOVE the old HP stuff!
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby j p » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:43 am

tomvanhoy wrote:I think they were intentionally simple and generic so they could be detailed as the owners wished. Probably not much different from regular HO stuff, but not upgraded thru the years of production either.

Yes, the idea was to let modellers modify them to fit the prototype of the target railroad. I am happy to own two of such modified models based on HP kits.
The production got upgraded though.
HPs E7s got new, lost-wax cast sideframes for the trucks and new fronts, steam engines got spoked wheels, new variants were introduced (including monsters like 4-8-8-4 Big Boy) and finally a new design was added, old-timer ten wheeler.
Unfortunately, the drive was not upgraded, it tends to short. That can be fixed by modifying the cylinder blocks.
j p

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:32 am

j p wrote:

Yes, the idea was to let modellers modify them to fit the prototype of the target railroad. I am happy to own two of such modified models based on HP kits.
The production got upgraded though.
HPs E7s got new, lost-wax cast sideframes for the trucks and new fronts, steam engines got spoked wheels, new variants were introduced (including monsters like 4-8-8-4 Big Boy) and finally a new design was added, old-timer ten wheeler.
Unfortunately, the drive was not upgraded, it tends to short. That can be fixed by modifying the cylinder blocks.

Wouldn't making a resin copy of the steam chest and cylinders solve a lot of the short-circuit issues?
AstroGoat760

Postby j p » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:37 pm

AstroGoat760 wrote:Wouldn't making a resin copy of the steam chest and cylinders solve a lot of the short-circuit issues?

Yes it would - and it was done before by Elmer (if I remember correctly). More gentle solution would be to drill larger holes in it, filling those with resin, and drilling small holes for the rods in the resin.
j p

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:05 pm

yeti wrote:hi everyone i have this posted up on ebay and didn't want anyone to miss out. i'm not on here much so any questions would probably get a faster response on ebay, but i will try to check back here often.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Rare-Vint ... SwkFZcJWMk

I am the one that won this engine, if anyone was curious.
AstroGoat760

Return to Buy, Sell, Trade