AstroGoat's HP Products Locomotive Restoration Work

Post your photos and video links here

AstroGoat's HP Products Locomotive Restoration Work

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:01 pm

I am in the middle of restoring a trio of HP products locomotives, a basic entry level 0-6-0 (no running gear, only connecting rods), a fully fitted 0-6-0, and a 2-8-0.

I figured that since I have finished with the first coat of primer on the boilers, I would share a couple of the pictures of the work so far.

Here is the 2-8-0 and the fully fitted 0-6-0, as they were before the seller shipped them out. In transit, the cab aft of the consolidation got broken into a few large chunks. Note the missing smoke stack on the 0-6-0.
HP 0-6-0 and 2-8-0 at purchase.JPG
HP 0-6-0 and 2-8-0 at purchase.JPG (11.68 KiB) Viewed 735 times

I cannot seem to find any photos of the other 0-6-0 prior to it's break-down. The motor itself needed some work (the brush-holder was broken), the cab was broken, and the paint was worse than the other 0-6-0, so all 3 HP locos were broken down for repainting of the bodies and maintenance/repair of the propulsion plants.
Here they are.....
The 0-6-0 with the missing stack has already been stripped in this photo.

The broken brush holder will be replaced by one from a pittman motor in an old Varney F-3A that needs it's gears replaced anyways.

I have not yet decided what paint scheme to use with the engines yet, most likely some, if not most of my my American TT motive fleet will be lettered for the Possum Central, a railroad my wife and I originally came up with for our 8 3/4" gauge train.

Last edited by AstroGoat760 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: HP Products Loco Restoration Project No.1

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:34 pm

I have obtained a section of brass tubing that fits the hole left by the missing smoke stack on the beaten up 0-6-0. Once the rest of the flash is removed from the engine, (The primer made the flash stand out big time) the tubing will be cut to size, and the loco will have a new stack.

Any suggestions for road names and colouration of the locos?
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:55 pm

No suggestions but I'm looking forward to the progress and finished product. I haven't seen too many pics of HP stuff - never seen one in 'real life'.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:09 pm

At present, I have 5 HP products engines, three 0-6-0's, one 2-8-0, and one of the diesel multiple units with a "trailer".

One of the 0-6-0s has a pretty bashed up front end, so when I rebuild that portion of the engine, I intend on converting it into a 2-6-0.

I would have done some work on the trio tody, but I am having major difficulties with the new medications I am on, and the fact that the pain levels are worse. I have been sent home early both today and yesterday due to my throwing up from the pain.

If the trio of HP engines that I had at the time were not dissasembled, I would have brought the intact ones to show off along with Zeke on my vacation.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Here are four of the seven HP Steam locomotive's boilers after repainting. There will be some touching up of the paint on the interface between the smokebox and boiler. The blue boiler will be for the 0-6-0 that is receiving a new front end and will emerge from the rebuild as a 2-6-0.
The other three HP locomotives will receive new paint as well, as they all need it.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:18 pm

Here are the four boilers with the paint touched up. Two of the other 3 boilers are stripped and ready for paint. (The 4-4-2's boiler had some very thick paint on it, and is soaking in Aircraft Remover).
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:55 pm

Lookin good man, lookin good.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:44 am

On a side note, my pair of HP MU Combine cars are almost done with their paint. The shells are now silver, I have yet to decide what other colors to add to that.
AstroGoat760

Postby CSD » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:38 am

Nice work! If I'm correct the HP models are all generic, not really models of any specific prototype. Are you planning to add details for a specific prototype?
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:58 pm

CSD wrote:Nice work! If I'm correct the HP models are all generic, not really models of any specific prototype. Are you planning to add details for a specific prototype?

As of this time, not really. I have been considering making a number of them up as Southern Railway locomotives. The 2-8-0 and 0-6-0 match up pretty close to the HP Products models.

The blue and silver engine is based on no specific prototype, and the paint job is going to be based on one of the O-gauge locomotives that I have restored. (When I got it, it was missing both lead and trailing trucks, and one driving wheel, and covered in rust.)

There was a photo of a Southern 0-6-0 from one of the World War Two issues of Trains that I have that I want to make a model of, it's tender is really close to the HP model, and was painted mainly white with a picture of an American Flag with "Buy More War Bonds" on it.

As far as details, I will have to find a source of detail parts, such as the bells.
AstroGoat760

Next

Return to Photos / Videos