AstroGoat's HP Products Locomotive Restoration Work

Post your photos and video links here

Re: HP Products Loco Restoration Project No.1

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:27 pm

Here are all seven HP steamer's boilers with fresh coats of paint applied. (Yes, the fleet has expanded quite a bit, from 1, then to 3, then to 4 and half, then 6 and a half, then 7.)
I need to find my soldering iron before I continue with assembly, as the power leads that connect the motor to the tender on most of the locomotives need to be replaced, that and the reduction worm gear and the drive gears need to be re-aligned with each other on most of the chassis. (I have a gear puller for that reason).
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:53 pm

The first locomotive has just rolled off the restoration line a few minutes ago.

The tender needs a few touch-ups from some blue over-spray for the MU cars. The main rods have been removed due to damage to them that was causing the mechanism to bind up.
ImageImageImage
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:00 pm

For those that are curious, the couplers used on the tender is a Kadee #714, and on the pilot: the HP Products knuckle-type coupler, which can actually couple up to the Kadee #713/714, albeit without the automatic ability of the Kadee. I did not want to risk damaging the HP Products freight pilot by removing too much material and compromising the strength of the pilot.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:21 am

Here are photos of the MU Unit shells with one set of "doors". I will make a second set out of sheet styrene plastic for the second MU combine car.
ImageImage
Last edited by AstroGoat760 on Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:00 am

Dude, the last two pics look great. For the rest......well, either get a new cam or we'll have to set up a donation for one..... :mrgreen:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:39 am

I would have bought one last week, but Nicholle blew about $500 from my account on her bills and other on stuff for her family, so I will have to wait for next paycheck.

Right now we are looking at flyers for electronics stores in Rhode Island, even if the cost ends up the same or a little more, I would rather not pay anymore taxes to the state of connecticut than I have to.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:11 pm

Here is the second loco to come off of the restoration line: a HP Products 0-8-0. The chassis did not come with main rods, and due to the difficulty in getting replacements, this one will not likely get a set of main rods. The tender is not yet ready to be coupled up to the engine.

ImageImage
AstroGoat760

Re: AngrySailor's HP Products Locomotive Restoration Work

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:06 am

Here is the restored HP Products DMU Combine trailer. I plan on adding lighting to the powered unit, and I am working on replacing the missing baggage door with a section of sheet brass.

This car will likely come apart again to accommodate installation of clear plastic for windows. Even after that it will likely be taken apart again to add figures and seats for the interior once I am able to make a passable TT scale person, which will be copied in resin.
ImageImageImage

Some touching up of the stairs will be done at a later time. Aside from the interior and Kadee 713's, all that is left is decals.

One idea that I would like to follow up on is to power the dummy DMU which would yield two powered DMUs "for the price of one".

Any ideas how to do this?
AstroGoat760

Postby D Martin » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:13 pm

Hmmmmm..... What is going on here? The last post I see about loco restoration in this thread has a side view of a blue & silver steam engine. That is not a TT engine. It is an 027 gauge Marx #666, or possibly the plastic version, a 1666.
Oh well, it is still the same hobby and still constructive fun.

Dennis
D Martin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:03 pm

D Martin wrote:Hmmmmm..... What is going on here? The last post I see about loco restoration in this thread has a side view of a blue & silver steam engine. That is not a TT engine. It is an 027 gauge Marx #666, or possibly the plastic version, a 1666.
Oh well, it is still the same hobby and still constructive fun.

Dennis

That was a photo to show some of my prior restorations and what I can do to salvage a model. That restoration was completed about 2 years before I got into TT scale.
AstroGoat760

PreviousNext

Return to Photos / Videos