Problems with the MTB SW1200

Re: Problems with the MTB SW1200

Postby rdikken » Sun May 29, 2016 4:33 am

Keeping things in perspective:

MTB uses the same motor in all their locomotives.

I have sold about 600 MTB locomotives in 3 years. Most locomotives I tested before selling: a visual test and a run for 15 minutes in both directions. In 5% of the cases there are problems, not always with the motor. Depending on the locomotive, the E-locos have mainly problems with the pantograph, not with the motor. All problems were returned to MTB.

Back to the SW1200. In August 2013 I received 27 switchers, which I tested during the night in my hotel before selling them on a fair, 5 of them had motor related problems. Two of them I repaired when I was back in Holland, 3 switchers I returned. So, in my first batch of switchers 20% had a motor related problem. I simply do not know what was done with my info. But I never had that high scrap rate again.

Comparing to other manufacturers:
I sold about 30 Kuehn locomotives. Only one had temporarely a motor problem which I could repair myself.

Are the motors crap? Based on my experience, I do not think so, but it could be better. Perhaps is was related to the first batch

Ciao,
Rob
rdikken

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:42 am

I am willing to bet that my situation is simply a freak coincidence. The one motor that I got to replace the one in SOO LINE 1216 still works fine.

All four of my MTB SW1200s were literally ordered the first hour that they were available from Saz-Model, so that may be it right there.

I am planning on ordering another SW1200 soon (i.e. July) for my 33rd birthday, if all works out to do so.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby rdikken » Sun May 29, 2016 1:49 pm

I think I can arrange 4 new motors for you.

But do me one favor:

Test them until it hurts and report the results. But also do not forget to lubricate the motor. One drop fine oil on the shaft behind the flywheel. Only once per year.

Please let me know your intention.

Ciao,
Rob
rdikken

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue May 31, 2016 1:43 pm

rdikken wrote:I think I can arrange 4 new motors for you.

But do me one favor:

Test them until it hurts and report the results. But also do not forget to lubricate the motor. One drop fine oil on the shaft behind the flywheel. Only once per year.

Please let me know your intention.

Ciao,
Rob

PM sent.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue May 31, 2016 1:54 pm

"Test them until it hurts and report the results."

Is there an upgraded motor that is the same size? The cost per motor is more important to an original manufacturer than it is to a hobbyist wanting a longer lasting loco so perhaps we could spend a bit more and put in something better if we ever have this problem? ( my two switchers are both running great so far so maybe I'll never have to deal with it ?)......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Tue May 31, 2016 2:24 pm

The interesting thing is, I haven't read of these motor issues anywhere else (the German TT guys buy a healthy amount of MTB products). I'm guessing there was a bad batch and it happened to go in some of the SW1200s :(
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby rdikken » Tue May 31, 2016 2:47 pm

I can not go in too much detail. But the first motors were build from parts, bought from several suppliers. For an example MTB used a different, better??, bearing than the original motor had. If the bearing was assembled wrongly, you would get certain problems. Or if between the bearing balls a metal drilling snipe was dropped, dirt or in the gear, you would get problems. In 2013 there were also problems with motors of Czech locos, but not that many. And because I tested those locomotives, it never reached the customer.

I think the work process is improved with MTB to avoid problems. I am not sure if they have an improved motor.

Ciao,
Rob
rdikken

Postby MacG » Tue May 31, 2016 4:48 pm

rdikken wrote:... But also do not forget to lubricate the motor. One drop fine oil on the shaft behind the flywheel. Only once per year. ...

I hope this works. There is only a really small gap between flywheel and motor.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby ctxmf74 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:21 am

"There is only a really small gap between flywheel and motor."

Yeah, and too much oil might do as much harm as too little oil. You might be able to apply a tiny drop to the end of a piece of wire then touch it to the place where you want the oil....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby krokodil » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:54 am

ConducTTor wrote:The interesting thing is, I haven't read of these motor issues anywhere else (the German TT guys buy a healthy amount of MTB products). I'm guessing there was a bad batch and it happened to go in some of the SW1200s :(

I also asked several MTB model owners ( running a huge modul layout) nobody had problems with the motor yet.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion