Problems with the MTB SW1200

Re: Problems with the MTB SW1200

Postby ctxmf74 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:01 pm

"I always use Mashima motors for replacement and love them. Plenty of sizes to choose from."

Yeah Mashima has been my standard for many years. I've also had good results with coreless motors found on ebay, some of them are smaller and more powerful . If my MTB loco ever acts up I'll start looking for replacement motors but for now both of them run great.....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat May 14, 2016 10:00 pm

Well, I just got done with the post-mortem on the old Soo Line #1216 SW1200 motor.

Simple answer: the brushes are completely gone, the brush holders are barely in contact with the commutator, which explains why the motor stalls out at certain points. There was no trace of the motor brushes in the motor casing at all, and the commutator is scarred.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby krokodil » Sun May 15, 2016 5:44 am

I just do not understand why many manufacturers (not only MTB) uses such scrappy toymotors instead of a good ones ( mostly have the same price)?
The final price of the models is mostly the same independently what motir is used. ( even worse, recently a friend of my brought me his model with a replacement motor to fix it. The replacement motor was exactly the same toymotor with flywheels - he paid for that almost 50% of the total price of the model. A good Machima or Buhler costs in the shops much less, the only problem is to mount the flywheels.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby Richard-B » Mon May 16, 2016 1:45 am

ctxmf74 wrote:Do they look like a common size so replacements can be found easily if needed?
The MTB SW-1200s use a 12mm (flats) by 15.5mm (curved) by 28mm flat-can motor.

The motor has a small plastic drive shaft adapter on one end... and a combined brass flywheel/plastic drive shaft adapter on the other. The 7.5mm deep tapered flywheel has a max diameter of 13mm, and the overall length over the drive shaft sockets is ~46.2mm.

MTB SW-1200_motor.JPG
MTB moter for SW-1200
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri May 20, 2016 8:38 pm

Any advice on a replacement motor?
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Fri May 20, 2016 10:50 pm

Email MTB and see if they'll give you one. Otherwise you have to measure it out and find something suitable.
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu May 26, 2016 4:43 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Email MTB and see if they'll give you one. Otherwise you have to measure it out and find something suitable.

I should have clarified myself, I was asking for advice on replacement motor brands.
AstroGoat760

Postby areibel » Thu May 26, 2016 5:34 pm

You'll probably need to salvage the drive adaptors from each end, so I'd pry them off (Carefully!) and then get some measurements. If you can get the overall length and the shaft size that'll help a lot, getting something that will fit in the same area between the drive shafts is more important than the cross sectional size. A slightly smaller case or a round can could be easily adapted, but something too long or too short will mean trying to make the drive line fit- not fun!
areibel

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:00 pm

areibel wrote:You'll probably need to salvage the drive adaptors from each end, so I'd pry them off (Carefully!) and then get some measurements. If you can get the overall length and the shaft size that'll help a lot, getting something that will fit in the same area between the drive shafts is more important than the cross sectional size. A slightly smaller case or a round can could be easily adapted, but something too long or too short will mean trying to make the drive line fit- not fun!

Thanks, I do not relish the idea of trying to fiddle with the driveshafts on the MTB SW1200, as they are short enough as it is, little room to adjust in or out.

When I figure out a replacement motor for the loco, I will post photos here of the conversion process.

With a pair of baby goats on the farm now, and three expectant mamma goats, this project will be put on the back burner for now.

Kinda disappointing, as of the four MTB SW1200s that I ordered, one is broken down (motor), one is partially working (motor issue as well), one has had a motor replaced, and the fourth runs fine, although it has less than three running hours on it total.

Hopefully the new motor in the SOO LINE 1216 lasts longer than the original one did.
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Thu May 26, 2016 10:16 pm

Yeah it appears the motors are not the best. It's not just the SW1200 - MTB uses them on their other models as well.
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion