Problems with the MTB SW1200

Re: Problems with the MTB SW1200

Postby jmass » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:17 am

I have also been having problems with my sw 1200. herky jerky motion, stopping under power. So i cleaned both track and wheels of loco and it seems to run better. an additional problem ive been having is the loco seems to be burning up dcc plugins. i have gone thru two digitrax dz 126 in plugins only to have them burn up. they would work for a few days and then nothing at all. i use a roco multi maus for dcc and never had a problem with other dcc locos. as far as my sw 1200 runs it seems to take forever to get up to speed. joe
jmass

Postby ctxmf74 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:12 pm

"the loco seems to be burning up dcc plugins. i have gone thru two digitrax dz 126 in plugins only to have them burn up. they would work for a few days and then nothing at all. i use a roco multi maus for dcc and never had a problem with other dcc locos. as far as my sw 1200 runs it seems to take forever to get up to speed."

So far my MTB switcher runs like a top, great slow speed performance. Have you used the Digitrax 126 in other locos successfully? Could you power supply be putting out more than 16 volts peak, I saw on the digitrax site that these decoders should not be run on more than 16 volts.Also if it is a tight fit could heat be building up enough to hurt them? I have a Digitrax decoder on order for my loco, I'll report back when I see how it works out.....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby jmass » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:59 pm

Looking at my power supply on the multi maus it looks like it runs at 18 volts which after awhile would blow out a decoder rated for 16 volts. looks like im looking for a new dcc system. the decoder itself is rated for 1 amp with a one point five amp peak. thanks for the heads up Dave.
jmass

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:06 pm

Don't get a new doc sustem - just a lower voltage power supply.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:41 am

"Don't get a new dcc system - just a lower voltage power supply."

Should be able to turn it down some way, maybe it has an N scale setting? .....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby krokodil » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:34 am

AstroGoat760 wrote:Here is a video of the problems with the two locomotives, since I figure a demonstration is better than just trying to explain the problems.

This is realy not a helathy sound of the motor. i think the brushes are gone (maybe the commutator is also damaged). Take of the brushes file them flat and clean the commutator. Perhaps it helps.
One more question, do you use DCC or it happened in analog mode?
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby Bernd » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:15 am

I had this problem with an HO scale can motor. One of the magnets had come unglued. I use epoxy to glue the magnet back in it's place. Problem solved. The MBT motors look like they can not be taken apart. Once apart it might difficult to get back together again.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ctxmf74 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:47 pm

"The MBT motors look like they can not be taken apart. Once apart it might difficult to get back together again."

Do they look like a common size so replacements can be found easily if needed? ......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby krokodil » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:03 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:"The MBT motors look like they can not be taken apart. Once apart it might difficult to get back together again."

Do they look like a common size so replacements can be found easily if needed? ......DaveB

I do not think so. I had a problem with Piko motors. They also used ( in early days) common size motors, but all other accessories were not typical parts ( and are not available from Piko).
Additionally it is quite difficult to find "common size" motors with axles on both sides and with acceptable speed.
I have plenty of motors in my boxes (a collection of the last 50 years) but usually no one fits into the modern vehicles without modification in the chassis.

:-)
Last edited by krokodil on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:22 pm

I always use Mashima motors for replacement and love them. Plenty of sizes to choose from.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion