My Previous TT Layouts

My Previous TT Layouts

Postby RodTT » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:36 pm

I thought that my previous efforts in TT, before I built Naples Street, might be of passing interest. I first got interested in railway modelling in 2000, and TT in various forms was my first (and for a long time) my only scale.

Briargate http://mattersofinterest.co.uk/briargate.htm in British 3mm scale but also running some anachronous and out-of-place continental stock for fun - my first ever layout (2000-2002) and I thought not too bad for a beginner.

Lightwood http://mattersofinterest.co.uk/lightwood.htm - continental TT, built around 2004-2006, a bit of a mishmash but trying out some interesting ideas including automated running.

Ecclesford http://mattersofinterest.co.uk/ecclesford.htm (2008-2011) - back to British 3mm scale.

Yorkford, PA http://mattersofinterest.co.uk/yorkfordpa.htm (2012-2017) - my only other American layout, and my only one not in TT but in HO. I had great fun building, exhibiting and operating this layout although it was only just over 4ft long. It got me into American modelling.
RodTT

Re: My Previous TT Layouts

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:03 pm

Those are nice, I especially liked the 3mm setups, as I have always had a keen interest in British railroading. Also, my very first actual TT scale trains (not counting the Glencoe static kits) were Tri-Ang 3mm.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby MacG » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:00 am

These are nice looking layouts. My favorite is the H0 switching layout. The exemplary operation is very interesting. You should be fixed the link to your switch list program. It could be a help for my own switch list. It's easy to use. :thumbup:
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby RodTT » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:16 pm

AstroGoat760 wrote:Those are nice, I especially liked the 3mm setups, as I have always had a keen interest in British railroading. Also, my very first actual TT scale trains (not counting the Glencoe static kits) were Tri-Ang 3mm.

I stuck with 3mm for over a decade and was happy with 'Tri-ang-level' modelling, supplemented with a few wagon kits, for quite a while, but I eventually got fed up with the lack of up-to-date RTR locos. Some of the kit-built efforts of other 3mm modellers are superb (as with US TT), but I couldn't match them and was never happy with my efforts.
But I still have some 3mm models, including a Tri-ang 0-6-0 Jinty and some coaches and wagons which were bought new for me and which I've had since I was about seven.
Mint condition Tri-ang TT can go for ridiculous prices on ebay.
RodTT

Postby RodTT » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:31 pm

MacG wrote:These are nice looking layouts. My favorite is the H0 switching layout. The exemplary operation is very interesting. You should be fixed the link to your switch list program. It could be a help for my own switch list. It's easy to use. :thumbup:

I must say I really took to American HO and have kept some of it. I may well do another HO layout. My first project for 2019 though may be to expand Naples Street by about a foot at the left end to give a bit more room for switching.

There's a link to my switchlist program and instructions in my signature below. If anyone does use it, let me know what you think - especially if you find any bugs!
For the techies among you I wrote it using a free version of Pascal and a database program called SQLite.
Programming was my full-time job for many years and I still have the habit.
RodTT

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:03 pm

RodTT wrote:
AstroGoat760 wrote:Those are nice, I especially liked the 3mm setups, as I have always had a keen interest in British railroading. Also, my very first actual TT scale trains (not counting the Glencoe static kits) were Tri-Ang 3mm.

I stuck with 3mm for over a decade and was happy with 'Tri-ang-level' modelling, supplemented with a few wagon kits, for quite a while, but I eventually got fed up with the lack of up-to-date RTR locos. Some of the kit-built efforts of other 3mm modellers are superb (as with US TT), but I couldn't match them and was never happy with my efforts.
But I still have some 3mm models, including a Tri-ang 0-6-0 Jinty and some coaches and wagons which were bought new for me and which I've had since I was about seven.
Mint condition Tri-ang TT can go for ridiculous prices on ebay.

I started out in TT scale with Tri-Ang, so there will always be a space in my heart for Tri-Ang TT. After all, it sparked an obsession that continues, well over a decade later.

At first, I swore that I only would collect 3mm Tri-Ang and GEM in TT Scale, but then that expanded to European TT, and finally North American TT. At this point I would not say "never" about anything in TT scale at this point.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Return to Layouts / Track Plans