Possum Trax

Possum Trax

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:05 pm

After about half a decade of mulling this over, CaTTwoman281, TTerry177, and a few friends that I am working on "converting" to TT scale, that are already members of the Possum Central Railroad System have decided to "go big" with modular TT scale layouts.

We have opted to call our design "Possum Trax", and it will borrow some elements from the old TT-nut module standards, but adapted for Keuhn track.

Modules will be constructed from a range of standard sizes from 2' x 2', to the "standard" 2' x 4' module, up to 3' x 8' to allow for our proposed US Navy base module, as well as a module that involves an engine yard with turntable. This will also allow for the modules to also be used for our home layouts as well for the time being.

The goal at this time is to have at least a half dozen modules ready for the 2018 National Train Show, and to have a sizable layout ready for the 2020 NTS as well.

This will also involve a number of bulk purchases from Zeuke-TT over the course of the next few years, so Rob, please stand by, once the wide radius turnouts are in stock, I plan on buying what I can as long as I have the funds available.

Specs on Possum Trax to appear in a post soon.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Possum Trax

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:40 pm

And yes, to answer the question, we are willing to build adapter modules to interface with other TT modules such as TT-Tracks.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:28 am

Another thing about our proposed modular layout: we will attempt to model each of the major regions of the US and some of Canada as well for the modules.

Here are some proposals:

Module 1 The Southern USA (mainly Georgia)
Module 2 The Southwestern USA (SP and ATSF territory, likely a desert scene)
Module 3 The Pacific Northwest USA (Cascade Mountains, anyone)
Module 4 The Midwestern USA (Minnesota, in particular, with some water/lake scenes)
Module 5 The New England States (primarily New Haven Railroad territory)
Module 6 Oh, Canada! (Manitoba, possibly some reference to Gimli)

This does not include the proposed US Navy base with a model Fletcher-class destroyer (Likely the USS Johnston, DD-557), and a submarine as well, the base will be an amalgamation of the base in Norfolk, VA and Groton, CT.

The proposed engine yard will be either a Chessie System predecessor prototype or based lightly on Spencer, NC.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:11 am

I almost forgot...

We are taking 'requests" for scenes to recreate or at least mimic with the modules, just let us know what you would like to see, and we will try to accommodate with plans and eventual modules.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:17 am

After some number crunching and designing, I finally came up with the offsets for Possum Trax:

At present time, there are two radii of track available from Keuhn, R1 (321mm) and R2 365mm), well for the needs of my trains (mainly my larger steam locomotives), I need an additional radii, which I shall term "R3" and give it the radius of 409mm, which matches the delta of 44mm between R1 and R2.

"R3" track curves will be made of flex-track.
Due to the need to assemble and disassemble the modules, coupled with the need to reduce wear-and-tear on the R3 curves, there will be an extension of G44 (44mm) tracks between the curves and the connection sections.

The tracks will all be brought 60.5mm from the edge of the layout, as the intention is to use G60 (60.5mm) sections as the connectors.

This is for another reason as well: the availability of the G121 (121mm) section, which could be used in place of two G60 sections when connecting modules.

Illustrations to follow soon.
AstroGoat760

Postby Rich1853 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:55 am

AstroGoat760 wrote:This does not include the proposed US Navy base with a model Fletcher-class destroyer (Likely the USS Johnston, DD-557), and a submarine as well, the base will be an amalgamation of the base in Norfolk, VA and Groton, CT.

I had a 1:125 scale of the LINBERG WWII Blue Devil Destroyer painted in a dazzle scheme and a 1:125 scale German Type VII U-Boat both won awards in my THUNDERCATS modeling club on Long Island many years ago. they came to Florida with me and was in my parents house. I don't know what happen to them after my brother bought the house after my parents past away, RIP.
lndhl212-03.jpg
Blue Devil Destroyer
lndhl212-03.jpg (17.56 KiB) Viewed 136 times
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida
Rich1853

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:49 pm

Rich1853 wrote:
AstroGoat760 wrote:This does not include the proposed US Navy base with a model Fletcher-class destroyer (Likely the USS Johnston, DD-557), and a submarine as well, the base will be an amalgamation of the base in Norfolk, VA and Groton, CT.

I had a 1:125 scale of the LINBERG WWII Blue Devil Destroyer painted in a dazzle scheme and a 1:125 scale German Type VII U-Boat both won awards in my THUNDERCATS modeling club on Long Island many years ago. they came to Florida with me and was in my parents house. I don't know what happen to them after my brother bought the house after my parents past away, RIP.
lndhl212-03.jpg

That is the model that I intend to use, as it is "close enough" to use with TT scale. The submarine will be scratch-built as a water-line model.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Here is the first plan out for the Possum Trax system, a 2'x2' module with two mainlines using Keuhn track, both of the R2 curves (365mm) and using flex track to create 409mm curves ("R3"):
TT Possum Trax 2x2.png
TT Possum Trax 2x2.png (18.16 KiB) Viewed 83 times
AstroGoat760

Return to Layouts / Track Plans