Possible Rolling Stock

Re: Possible Rolling Stock

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:05 pm

That specific car to convert to TT scale, no. I have a combine and coach car in HOn3 that I bought to convert over to TT back in 2008 that I need to find so that I can complete them, and I have a gondola of uncertain prototype that I converted from HOn3 to TT (that was rather easy, mainly changing out the trucks was it).

I know that some out there have converted the MDC HOn3 2-8-0 to TT scale, as it scales out nicely to be a heavy consolidation in TT.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:59 pm

Honestly I have not considered HOn3 models. Mainly because the prototypicality of models is not a strength of mine (unless they're one of the ones I spent a lot of hours to model in 3D).
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby railtwister » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:26 pm

Bernd wrote:Ok, since I'm still wet behind the ears on how resourceful you guys are, but I'll ask anyway.

Has anybody considered Funaro & Camerlengo HOn3 East Broad Top 800 Series hopper car as a possibility for use in TT scale or any other HOn3 manufacture's rolling stock. It seems the width is very close, at least for the F &C hoppers. Height may be a bit of a issue though.

Bernd

Hi Bernd,

I haven't considered the F&C hopper simply because I don't happen to own any, but I just checked the web and see that it is one of the EBT's two bay types (the EBT had both a long and short version of the 2 bay hoppers, plus a three bay, as well). Besides, I just don't like resin models in general, and especially not for a hopper car, which has a lot of delicate structure at it's ends. However, I have put a pair of Gold Coast trucks under an HOn3 PSC brass 2 bay EBT hopper I did happen to have, and I thought it looked acceptable when placed on the track with some Gold Coast TT boxcars.

I mentioned doing that on this list quite a while back, and received a somewhat negative feedback concerning whether or not it was prototypical. The real EBT hoppers were unusual in that their hopper bays were not tapered in from the sides as they are on a standard gauge car, but the brass model was incorrect in that regard, because it's hopper bays did taper in from the sides. it was incorrect as an HOn3 model, so I thought it looked better as a TT hopper than HOn3. If the F&C hopper has the correct, un-tapered hopper bays, then it would probably look a little odd. If the bays are tapered, it may well look better as a TT hopper also - (just don't say where it came from!).

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby scaro » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:22 am

Interesting idea. I wonder if there is or was something close to it. I used to own an Nn3 one. Removing and respacing the vertical ribs might help. If not it still might be a good source of parts.
scaro

Postby railtwister » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:57 am

scaro wrote:Interesting idea. I wonder if there is or was something close to it. I used to own an Nn3 one. Removing and respacing the vertical ribs might help. If not it still might be a good source of parts.

Hi Ben,

I guess it really depends on how you define "close", but since there is so little choice in TT scale, for my purposes, it's close enough, at least until a better option shows up. I think the fact that Bernd never noticed the non-tapered hoppers tends to support the notion that most other folks wouldn't notice the difference either.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Return to Prototypes / Models