PluX12 DCC decoders for Tillig BR218?

Re: PluX12 DCC decoders for Tillig BR218?

Postby Dibbedabb » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:32 am

I'm afraid this can't be programmed with this version of the PluX12 board. But in some points it makes sense in the way it is: If you have a push-pull train, the lights facing towards the wagons are always switched off. So, if you reverse and push the train, the head lights need to be off and rear lights need to be on.
Don't worry, I know the 189 is not a regular locomotive for a push-pull train :wink:

The board in the TRAXX2 does support this. F1 always switches on the high beam, F2 always switches off the rear lights independently from the direction of travel.
Dibbedabb

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:47 am

Dibbedabb wrote:I'm afraid this can't be programmed with this version of the PluX12 board. But in some points it makes sense in the way it is: If you have a push-pull train, the lights facing towards the wagons are always switched off. So, if you reverse and push the train, the head lights need to be off and rear lights need to be on.

I see. The best version would obviously be one where you can select how you want them to function - change the lights with direction or not (like a push pull).

Both the locos I have with this decoder are not for push pull though :cry:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Rich B » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:40 pm

I've recently tried the Tams LD-G-31 in a 189, it just fits! It's a good price for its spec, and is available through Conrad for international buyers. It seems to work as much as anything else in the loco, ie the lights can be turned off at either end.
Rich B

Postby ees1bk » Fri May 16, 2014 5:06 am

Just revisiting this as I've just bought two new Tillig OBB electric locos - a BR189 and a Rh1216 with another Rh1216 on it's way. With the BR218 I eventually went Lenz Sliver+ PluX12 but that doesn't appear to be available at the moment. Given the glowing recommendations for the Zimo here, I'm seriously considering going with those for these three locos. I've just got my first Zimo decoder in HO and I've been very impressed with how smooth it is.

Are there any issues I should be aware of with the Zimo decoders? My usual DCC control system is a Lenz LH90/LZV100 but I do also have a Roco Multimaus. Recent experience has shown the Lenz LH90 can't set multiple-working consists on Uhlenbrock chips so I'm a little nervous about new decoder types. I guess I could try consisting my HO loco that has a Zimo, but I figured asking here might produce an answer too.

Cheers.

Regards, Bevis.
ees1bk

Postby rdikken » Fri May 16, 2014 5:39 am

@ConducTTor
If you want to try a Zimo Plux 12, I can send you one, you try it and you pay me when you are satisfied. Oh, this is a one time offer and it is not a sound decoder.

Ciao,
Rob
rdikken

Postby Dibbedabb » Fri May 16, 2014 5:58 am

@ees1bk
Are you sure your problems with multiple consists come from the Lenz and not the Uhlenbrock decoders? I never heard anything good about Uhlenbrock decoders...
I don't know how consisting works with ZIMO, as I never use this. But you have to check your class 189. As you can see in > this thread <, there are two versions of the 189-interior. If you have the old version (with the green board) you have to change the light-CVs and you can't access the high beam (the only decoder that can access the high beam with this board is a TAMS decoder and these are the worst decoders in the universe).
If you have the green version, leave the decoder selector switch at "analog / 6pin" and use these settings:
CV33: 4
CV34: 8
CV35: 1
CV36: 2
CV37: 12
CV38: 0
CV61: 97
With this you have shunting lights on F3.
With the decoder selector switch set to PluX12 you won't get any usable result, as the PluX12 socket in this version is not standard.
If you have the new board (or for the Rh1216 or TRAXX) use these settings: (* indicates standard setting)
CV33: 1*
CV34: 2*
CV35: 4*
CV36: 8*
CV37: 11
CV38: 0
CV61: 97
With this you have shunting lights on F3. CV61 = 97 is important as you have to activate ZIMO's "enhanced function mapping".
Dibbedabb

Postby ees1bk » Fri May 16, 2014 3:54 pm

I just opened up my 189 OBB/Dispolok loco and it has the older green board. Oh well. Still, it does have the more detailed pantograph mounts on platforms of the later models, so the better shell but the worse PCB. Thanks for those CV values - I will set them when I finally buy chips for these locos. Right now the budget is stressed enough buying the locos!

It looks like it's the Uhlenbrock decoders that don't do the consisting right - I can get them to consist, but I have to manually add 128 to the consist number to enable it - something I've not seen needed on any other decoder type and the Lenz LH90 certainly isn't doing that when setting up the consist. The only good thing I can say about the Uhlenbrock chips is that they are small - the space on the Piko HO G1206 seems to be designed for them. Maybe there is another make with a SUSI socket that would also fit - I don't know, I haven't researched it.

Regards, Bevis.
ees1bk

Postby Rich B » Sat May 17, 2014 5:09 am

Dibbedabb wrote:@ees1bk
Are you sure your problems with multiple consists come from the Lenz and not the Uhlenbrock decoders? I never heard anything good about Uhlenbrock decoders...

Hear, hear.

I bought an Uhlenbrock decoder with NEM651 interface, and it is appalling. The first one I received, the lighting didn't work, so I got it replaced, but the drive (on both the faulty and replacement decoders) is worse than budget decoders (eg Lenz 1014) from over 10 years ago. Rough as old boots. Luckily I needed a decoder for an IC driving car, so it'll do in there.
Rich B

Previous

Return to Electric / DCC