piko hercules

piko hercules

Postby jmass » Thu May 20, 2010 2:03 pm

just received my package from reynualds of a piko hercules in regental cargo livery and two freight cars.i dont know how much better running and detail oriented the keuhn version of this loco is but for less then 80 bucks gotta tell ya this thing runs and looks damn good.now i need to buy some track as all i have left is what came with my original starter set.
jmass

Re: piko hercules

Postby ConducTTor » Thu May 20, 2010 6:10 pm

The Kuehns do have a bit more detail, a 5 pole motor instead of 3 and the reverse lights work. However, the Pikos are a REALLY good buy for the money. No doubt about it.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:22 pm

Is this the kind that the chassis would make a good project platform for a North American proto engine?

Also,

Pictures, Please?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Dibbedabb » Thu May 20, 2010 7:31 pm

The Piko is a good model, but here in Germany it doesn't sell very good. Suggested retail price is 50 EUR, the Kuehn-locos start at 70 EUR. If you compare the models, you get a much better deal on the Kuehn model. So it comes to special offers, including a Herpa DHL truck and a Piko hercules for 40 EUR (more than 25 EUR discount).
Technical details:
- Kuehn has reverse light, Piko doesn't. I don't think this isn't the biggest deal since these lights are switched off when pulling a train, but Conducttor mentioned it.
- 3 pole Piko <=> 5 pole Kuehn (like Conducttor said)
- You can't easily change a burned motor on the Piko, since it is fixed with hot glue.
- The biggest problem: Kuehn's loco sports a short coupling motion link standardised in NEM358, Piko has a simple non-standardised turning motion link. If you want to use the new Tillig (or Kuehn) coupler, you have to change the motion link for a longer version (Piko 46040), otherwise the cars will derail in turns.

In general Kuehn's details look sharper, Piko's details all look quite "washed out". That counts for the plastic and the paint. I have two Kuehn-locos and had one Piko I already sold again. But I took a few comparing pictures:
Both together. Piko left, Kuehn right. No big difference, and I have to say I like the darker look of Piko's bogie, since it give the loco the look of being in use, while the Kuehn looks like being brandnew. The "colder" yellow on Kuehn's loco is correct. Kuehn has separate poles for the shunter on the front, Piko has formed this into the cover.

The front. Piko left again. Here you can compare the sharp Kuehn and the washed out Piko details. Piko painted the reverse light with red color, and if you work the loco with higher voltages (or digital), the white front lights also shine through the red. That's a construction like 20 years ago. Although it doesn't look so, both front lights have the same width. Piko has an engineer (on one side), Kuehn a more detailled cockpit. On Piko's ER20 you can see the latch that holds the front window.

The sides. Piko the upper. Here you can see the much finer blower section on Kuehn's loco.

The bogies. Piko is the upper again. Not a big difference, but Kuehn is finer. Kuehn formed the disk brakes into plastic, Piko only prints them onto the flat wheel. (detail on the side: At first Piko didn't even print the disc brakes onto the very shiny wheels on their first H0 scale Taurus - crap! :thumbdown: )

The roofs. Piko is the upper again. The top blower is much more detailled on Kuehn's loco, but I like the exhaust holes on Piko's loco.

The top blower again. You can see the difference :wink:

Roof details. Again Piko looks "washed out". Kuehn's horns are correctly pointing to the loco's middle.

As you can see, the visual differences aren't very big. The technical differences are much bigger. Piko's loco isn't a bad model at all - if you keep the price in mind. It gives you a good but not superior value for money. If you have the chance, go and grab the Kuehn loco. The price difference isn't too big, but you get a much better value for money. Not to forget: If you want to use Tillig's new coupler, you have to spend another 4 EUR for the longer motion link on Piko's loco.

Another thing that doesn't have to do with the models directly: "Hercules" is like "Taurus" a trademark from the austrian rail company OBB. Their ER20 (and ES64U2/4) are the only real "Hercules" and "Taurus". All others are just Siemens ER20 and Siemens ES64U2/4 :wink:
Dibbedabb

Postby ConducTTor » Thu May 20, 2010 7:37 pm

Fantastic comparison. Thx!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Thu May 20, 2010 8:40 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:Is this the kind that the chassis would make a good project platform for a North American proto engine?

Well, Maybe!
The truck wheelhase and the chassis wheelbase are both really close for a late GP 38/40 including the Dash 2's. The trucks are about 4"too short, (about the same as the Tilligs used in the PVM kit) and the chassis is only about 2" short. And NWSL has a wheel that will slide on the Tillig axle for a wheel closer to the US prototype.
But the chassis won't fit under a GP hood. the chassis is the right width but the way it's built it isn't even close, and the motor is too fat. I took one of the cast metal chassis and ground most of the top off, and have a smaller motor to try once the shells are done, but won't know until it gets here! It will fit the way it is right now, but it might be way too high. More as it develops!
The chassis might work for a cab unit like an FP7, or maybe an F40?
areibel

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:52 pm

areibel wrote:
AngrySailor302 wrote:Is this the kind that the chassis would make a good project platform for a North American proto engine?

Well, Maybe!
The truck wheelhase and the chassis wheelbase are both really close for a late GP 38/40 including the Dash 2's. The trucks are about 4"too short, (about the same as the Tilligs used in the PVM kit) and the chassis is only about 2" short. And NWSL has a wheel that will slide on the Tillig axle for a wheel closer to the US prototype.
But the chassis won't fit under a GP hood. the chassis is the right width but the way it's built it isn't even close, and the motor is too fat. I took one of the cast metal chassis and ground most of the top off, and have a smaller motor to try once the shells are done, but won't know until it gets here! It will fit the way it is right now, but it might be way too high. More as it develops!
The chassis might work for a cab unit like an FP7, or maybe an F40?

I would love to see a model of a F40PH, and that would be something that contemporary modelers should be able to identify with, as the F40PH is still in service, albeit not on Amtrak anymore...
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Return to General Discussion