Piko G1206 Eisenbahn & Häfen GmbH "545" (47220)

Re: Piko G1206 Eisenbahn & Häfen GmbH "545" (47220)

Postby anotherTTnut » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:34 pm

Dibbedabb wrote:Piko's G1206 has a nice warm white headlight and red backlight, changing with the direction. For all you digital drivers it's important to know that the model has a 6pin-decoder connector, not the 8pin used before.

I didn't see this in Piko`s description, good to know! Have you equipped yours with a decoder yet? I was trying to open mine up on the weekend and had to stop since I could get it open. Is there a trick to it (i know about the screws for the cab)? Does a decoder with pins directly attached work or do you need one with a cable extension? Thanks.
anotherTTnut

Postby Dibbedabb » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:05 am

I don't use digital by now, so I didn't have equipped mine with a decoder. But I had it open to paint it. You need a decoder with pins directly attached.
If you paint the body black on the inside, the models appears less translucent (especially the exhaust really wins!).

Opening is horror... The cab is a single part and just plugged. Pull it off carefully, because otherwise you might damage the handrails. Than loosen the screws (they hold the part with the hoods) and then you have to push away the snap-in noses behind the wheels. They are quiet tough - unfortunately. I even thought about cutting them, because the entire part is hold with the screws, but I don't know, if this results in a gab between the hoods and the frame.

With this > link < you get the manual and service part numbers.
Dibbedabb

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:55 am

Dibbedabb wrote:If you paint the body black on the inside, the models appears less translucent (especially the exhaust really wins!).

Good to know thx.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby railtwister » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:53 am

ConducTTor wrote:
Dibbedabb wrote:If you paint the body black on the inside, the models appears less translucent (especially the exhaust really wins!).

Good to know thx.

Especially on lighter colored models, if you can spray the inside of the shell silver first, then black, it will be better, because the silver undercoat will better reflect the light due to it's containing metal particles which are opaque. I also will prevent the black from being seen through the transparent shell which could otherwise darken the color. Unwanted overspray through any openings can be a problem, requiring careful masking of those openings.

Bill in FL
railtwister

Postby railtwister » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:55 am

railtwister wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:

Good to know thx.

Especially on lighter colored models, if you can spray the inside of the shell silver first, then black, it will be better, because the silver undercoat will better reflect the light due to it's containing metal particles which are opaque. It also will prevent the black from being seen through the transparent shell which could otherwise darken the color. Unwanted overspray through any openings can be a problem, requiring careful masking of those openings.

Bill in FL
railtwister

Previous

Return to Piko TT Scale Models