Piko 46040 Coulping Adaptor for Tillig Close Couplings

Piko 46040 Coulping Adaptor for Tillig Close Couplings

Postby ees1bk » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:35 am

Greetings folks. This is my first post here so please don't bite my head off! I'm rather puzzled.

I have a couple of Piko locos (the Rh2016/ER20 EuroRunner) and I've just bought my first Lgs container flat car. Since I do use the Tillig close couplers, I thought it prudent to buy the apparently matching Piko 46040 coupler adaptors while I was placing an international order for TT items. Well, the items arrived and these coupler adaptors are just in a small plastic bag - no instructions or anything. The Piko web site isn't really much help either, merely stating that they're adaptors for Tillig close couplings.

The thing is that the Tillig couplers seem to fit just fine into the standard NEM coupler pockets on both the locos and the Lgs flat car. I have to admit I don't see how to fit them to either the locos or the flat car. So are these adaptors meant for some previous Piko product I don't own, or am I being really dumb in not seeing where they should go?

Please help!

Regards, Bevis.
ees1bk

Re: Piko 46040 Coulping Adaptor for Tillig Close Couplings

Postby BTTB Fan » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:10 am

Bevis, welcome to the board!
From the picture of Piko 46040 (http://www.modellbahnwelt24.de/Piko-460 ... tueck-TT_2) it does look like those are the converters from proprietary coupler mounting system to NEM socket. So, you don't need them for the locos and cars that already have NEM sockets.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:32 pm

Hey Bevis welcome aboard! Maybe post a few pics so we know exactly what you're dealing with?
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby The Fish » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:03 pm

G'day Bevis welcome. I have dne this. I will get back to you as I will have to refresh my memory. yes you do have to fit adaptor. I found when I changed to new coupling on Piko loco when received it would not couple to tillig and other close coupling wagons. the adaptor moves coupling out a small amount to allow this to happen. I found the BB coupling as supplied was located to allow close coupling with BB wagons.
Ted
The Fish

Postby railtwister » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:54 pm

One thing that TT seems to suffer from greatly is lack of compatible couplers between different manufacturers. In fact, it seems to me that even most European HO has a similar problem because the NEM standard is still not totally universal. Not only that, all the European manufactured couplers that I am aware of are pretty grossly proportioned (oversized) and difficult to deal with. In the USA, we have been spoiled for many years by the availability of the Kadee/Microtrains (and more recently, Sergent Engineering's) working knuckle couplers, which unfortunately aren't prototypical for most European Prototypes. Is there a better European coupler solution that we just don't know about here in the USA?

Bill in Florida
railtwister

Postby ees1bk » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:14 pm

@Ted: I don't recall problems with the Piko locos attaching to Tillig rolling stock, but I think I did have some issues with Roco. I will go and retest various combinations. I think my current layout ideas would have to be called "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys" as my entire loco fleet consists of Hercules's. I have a pair of OBB Rh2016s (one Piko, one Kuehn) and a pair of yellow/silver Dispolok ER20s (one Piko, one Kuehn) and one Tillig Desiro diesel railcar. I need to try various coupling up operations with the Piko and the Kuehn locos in turn and that should give me some idea as to whether I do in fact have a problem.

@Bill in Florida: I do quite a few different scales; N, TT, HO, O and G. The only one I don't routinely change the couplers on is O as 99% of my stock is Atlas O and their couplers aren't too bad. All my UK OO and European HO rolling stock gets fitted with Kadees the moment it gets unpacked from the posting box (or is brought into the house). Although they're a bit hard to find in some shops stateside, Kadee do do NEM couplers. I've been badgering the guys at Micro-trains to do N-scale NEM couplers for about five years now. A few years back they confessed it was something they were looking at but it's all gone silent again.

I have to admit that if Micro-trains did an N-scale knuckle coupler that would fit in the N-scale style NEM pocket on my TT rolling stock, I'd be sorely tempted to switch them all over to Micro-trains. I know the knuckle isn't right for most European stock but at least it looks like a genuine railway coupler, whereas everything else just plain simply looks like a model coupler.

Regards, Bevis.
ees1bk

Postby Arseny » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:02 pm

railtwister wrote:In the USA, we have been spoiled for many years by the availability of the Kadee/Microtrains (and more recently, Sergent Engineering's) working knuckle couplers, which unfortunately aren't prototypical for most European Prototypes. Is there a better European coupler solution that we just don't know about here in the USA?

The Kadee and/or Microtrans couples are very prototypical not only for the American stuff but for the Russian too.
But due to the historical reasons we use a lot of European stuff.
So, if Micro-Trains produce a NEM-standart version of the coupler, it would be great.

But there is another decision: the new Roco coupler! It looks very prototypical for Russian and/or American stuff too!
If you want to use NEM socket, look at it.
Arseny

Postby railtwister » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:10 pm

Unfortunately, I don't think Micro-trains makes an NEM mounted coupler for any scale smaller than HO, and the HO scale Kadee/NEM couplers are actually made by Kadee, a separate but historically affiliated company to Micro-Trains. I'm not familiar with any of the new Roco products, but I recall that before their bankruptcy, Roco was known for well engineered products. At the moment I have only some BTTB German style TT trains with the familiar hook & loop coupler, but have read that now Tillig has a "new & improved" coupler on it's newer releases, and also offers newer style couplers to convert the older Tillig and BTTB trains (non NEM mountings) to work with the newer couplers.

My question is are these newer couplers really any improvement over the older ones, or do they bring their own set of problems into the game? What would I be considering if I lived in Europe, would I want to stay with the old couplers, convert to the newer Tillig units, or switch to something completely different.

Also a couple of locomotive questions for those of you more familiar with European TT than myself. I have been considering buying a newer TT locomotive, probably a Tillig diesel, just to run on my TableTop TT modules. I like the Tillig Nohab units, and I believe i read somewhere that sometime this year they will be releasing a new version equipped with a can motor and flywheels, and probably a DCC friendly conversion socket. Is this correct, or did the older versions have the better motor with flywheels, and with what model did they start using the flywheels? Paint schemes and prototypically matched locos and equipment or eras are less important to me at this point than good running qualities. I also have been looking at a BR107 switcher, but I don't know which versions have the better drive. Did did everything from the red & white unit (sku #04620) and newer have the can motor with dual flywheels? What about DCC friendly conversion sockets? And which decoders (preferably plug & play) would be recommended for either of these two locos? Are there other units of similar price that would be better considered?

Thanks,
Bill in Florida
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:01 pm

The Tillig couplers are much better at not uncoupling randomly. They are also much better at close coupling (distance between cars). Their main disadvantage is uncoupling when one car is slightly higher than the other. Kuehn however has solved this problem with a tiny but important modification to the Tillig coupler. The Kuehns work VERY well. So far however, they do not have a version that will work on BTTB cars.

As for locos, all "newer" NOHABs have had a better motor, flywheels and depending on the year they were made, plug and play dcc or require the 6 pins on the decoder to be soldered to the PCB (no wires - just terminals to terminals). "Newer" NOHABs are all the ones that do NOT have the pilot as part of the bogie/truck. They're relatively cheap compared to most Tillig models and are well built.

The new BR107 has flywheels, new motor and dcc plug, forward and reverse lights and lit number plates - it is this exact model: http://www.eurotrainhobby.com/product_i ... ts_id/8107
Any other BR107s are the old BTTB spec.

As for other models, there are too many - ask about specific ones for a better answer. And, please start a new topic with those questions so we don't hijack this one.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby The Fish » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:50 am

I have looked at my Piko Locomotives the 3 I have are 47410 BR 182 Taurus, 47201 and 47202 BR 151 the method of fitting the Tillig close coupling adaptor is the same. The adaptor actualy puts the coupler slightly further out. What put me onto this was when I received my new Piko Locos 47210 and 02 I changed couplers and then tried to couple Loco to my also new Tillg coaches 01563, the buffers hit before coupling was completed. I enquired from my supplier and he put me onto ne coupling adaptor. No problems now. see attached diagram for method.
any further problems please let me know?
regards
Ted
Attachments
piko001.jpg
The Fish

Next

Return to General Discussion